PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done Day Out With Thomas?

tylersmama
08-24-2009, 01:08 AM
I just saw an ad that Day Out With Thomas is coming to our area next month. DS LOVES Thomas (and anything train-related), so I'm thinking about taking him. $18 a ticket seems a little steep to me, though, especially since I've had to really tighten up the budget since the divorce finalized. I'm willing to pay if it's worth it...any reviews?

gatorsmom
08-24-2009, 03:41 AM
I just saw an ad that Day Out With Thomas is coming to our area next month. DS LOVES Thomas (and anything train-related), so I'm thinking about taking him. $18 a ticket seems a little steep to me, though, especially since I've had to really tighten up the budget since the divorce finalized. I'm willing to pay if it's worth it...any reviews?

In my humble opinion, it's not worth $18. In our town, they dress the train engine up like Thomas. They put up wood slats around the engine and it does look just like Thomas. Then you get to ride in that train, usually in a passenger car for about 30 minutes. It's cramped and rather boring and once inside the train there is nothing to do. Outside the train, while you are waiting to go on your ride, there are lots of tables of overpriced Thomas toys and nicknacks to buy. There are also some bounce houses of trains, a story teller, face painter, etc. I'm glad I took the boys once, but I"ve heard it's the same set up every year it's here so if you miss it this year, you can probably catch it again when it comes to town again. If not, I don't think he'd be missing much. But, that is just my opinion.

Pennylane
08-24-2009, 07:36 AM
My ds loved it! An actual Thomas engine was there and although you could not ride on that, he was thrilled to be on a train being pulled by Thomas. There was also a Bob the Builder show, lots of thomas the train sets that the kids could play with, tattoos, face painting, etc. We spent about 4 hours there.

Ann

KrisM
08-24-2009, 08:17 AM
Ours has the Thomas engine hooked up in front of the regular engine. The train ride will depend on where you are, but ours was about 40 minutes. Photos with Thomas was fun. They had screens of the other engines and a huge blow up Percy for photos, too. They have layouts up to play with, coloring pages, bouncy houses. Ours is at a place that has some other rides, so we've done that, too.

We went when DS1 was 2, 3, and 4. We skipped it this year, but would go back next year if we think DS2 is interested. We've all really enjoyed it and DS1 especially thought it was really excellent!

Cam&Clay
08-24-2009, 08:26 AM
We took DS1 when he was 3. Watching his face when Thomas pulled into the station made me cry. If your little guy loves trains, it is priceless!

We plan to take DS2 in December for his 2nd birthday!

ETA: When DS1 heard DH and I talking about going to see Thomas in December, he very casually asked, "Can I go, too?" Some little boys never outgrow their love for trains!

alexsmommy
08-24-2009, 08:28 AM
I'd get reviews from people in your city. It varies by location. By us it's at a railway museum, and the combo of the Thomas stuff and the railway stuff made it worth it. I would have thought it overpriced if not for that. Like others, there were bounce houses, Thomas train tables with trains, the requisite Thomas paraphanalia store, coloring pages etc. Our Thomas ride was about 25 minutes and sort of silly since they just took the train out of the station a certain bit, then backed it to it's original position. Yet, our kids got to get on all sorts of trains in the museum and they loved that part. There was also a HUGE engine outside they got to climb into (one of those big black ones - can't remember what they're called) so the combination of activities made it a good day.

SnuggleBuggles
08-24-2009, 08:41 AM
I'd get reviews from people in your city. It varies by location. By us it's at a railway museum, and the combo of the Thomas stuff and the railway stuff made it worth it. I would have thought it overpriced if not for that. Like others, there were bounce houses, Thomas train tables with trains, the requisite Thomas paraphanalia store, coloring pages etc. Our Thomas ride was about 25 minutes and sort of silly since they just took the train out of the station a certain bit, then backed it to it's original position. Yet, our kids got to get on all sorts of trains in the museum and they loved that part. There was also a HUGE engine outside they got to climb into (one of those big black ones - can't remember what they're called) so the combination of activities made it a good day.

:yeahthat: It varies so much by location.

The one we went to sounds like this experience.

Beth

DrSally
08-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Yes, we just did it. It was overpriced. We bought tx at the last minute, so it was 19.xx instead of $18 and with the processing charge ($7), it came close to $50 for DH and DS. The train ride was 20 min, 10 min down the track and 10 min back. They spent about 2 hours total, asl there were activities also. But, nothing too special. A wet ball pit (it was raining), temp tatoos, coloring. DH said the activities weren't that great and most people went a little before for the activities and then left right after their train ride. DS enjoyed it, but we figured it was a 1x splurge b/c he loves Thomas right now. IMO, it is overpriced b/c they can, KWIM?

tylersmama
08-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Hmm. Ours is at a local railroad museum, and I've been wanting to take DS to the museum, anyway, but not necessarily on a day where it's all crowded, kwim? I'll have to ask and see if any friends have done it, but I don't think they have or I would have heard about it. If it was a little less $, we'd be there in a heartbeat, but $18x2 + processing charges is not cheap!

jerigirl
08-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Definitely ask around about the location you are considering. We went to one set up at a convention center with train tracks nearby. It had all of the face painting etc. inside and the 25 minute out and back train ride outside.

AnnieW625
08-24-2009, 10:41 AM
My friend went to the one sort of near us (60 minutes away or so in Menifee, I think) and she said that it wasn't that great. I think it really does depend on who is putting it on.

jenmcadams
08-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Hmm. Ours is at a local railroad museum, and I've been wanting to take DS to the museum, anyway, but not necessarily on a day where it's all crowded, kwim? I'll have to ask and see if any friends have done it, but I don't think they have or I would have heard about it. If it was a little less $, we'd be there in a heartbeat, but $18x2 + processing charges is not cheap!

We're by you and have done it at the Railroad museum. It was just OK in my opinion...my kids are not super into Thomas though. It's pretty crowded and you have to park and take a shuttle (only a 2-3 minute ride). They have a booth where you can get tatoos, etc. (free). They have some art stuff set up in another booth (free). There's a huge tent with Thomas souvenirs ($$$). An actual Thomas engine pulls open air cars, but the ride is pretty short...just around a track through the museum twice -- I think it took about 15 minutes. You can also see some of the museum stuff which was cool. They have a queue where you can wait in line and take pictures with Thomas between train rides. Finally, they did have Sir Topm Hat (sp?) and another character or two you could take pictures with. I think it's possible to come in and do everything except ride the train without a ticket, but I'm not sure. I know the first year we went, I decided that if we went back the next year, I wouldn't buy a ticket -- I would just let my DH ride with the kids. The second year, I ended up being out of town and he took them again...he said the kids were definitely less into it the 2nd year.

So, probably just depends on how into Thomas he is...

hellokitty
08-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Day out with Thomas in Cleveland SUCKS! WHat a waste of $. My kids a major Thomas fans and my DH and I were just annoyed by it and our kids were not that thrilled. A lot of rude ppl there too, lots of pushing and shoving when it was time to take pictures, etc..

I'd suggest looking for a Polar Express event instead. We went to one last yr Christmas and it was FANTASTIC!

tylersmama
08-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the info on our local one, Jen. I'm kind of leaning against it now and just making a mid-week trip to the railroad museum.

HIU8
08-24-2009, 12:46 PM
We took DS in Baltimore, but it is better in PA. It was a Thomas train hooked up to another engine. The ride was 24 minutes (12 up and 12 back). Boring ride. The other stuff at the Baltimore Train museum was interesting for DS. It was expensive. We did it once and have a picture momento of DS with Thomas. We won't be doing it again though.

hannah
08-24-2009, 01:34 PM
We did Day out with Thomas at the Railroad Museum in Golden. It was okay - but as pp said it was crowded. The train ride goes around the loop of tracks within the museum. I think we went around 3 times (kind of boring seeing the same stuff that many times). Expect lots of people and long lines. I think they also do Day out in Durango but we didn't want to drive all that way. Might be better scenery for the train ride though. The museum in Golden is neat - train cars to climb on and mini-train sets set up for the kids to watch. I am not sure we would do it again although DS would probably love to go.

DebbieJ
08-24-2009, 02:33 PM
We went last year and won't go again. The price to ride is steep and everything else there was very crowded/poorly run.

DebbieJ
08-24-2009, 02:34 PM

haha, this is the location we went to as well and we didn't find it all that great. So YMMV.

:):):)

pomegranate
08-24-2009, 02:38 PM
We went for the first time this year. I'm in Northern CA. DS was 22 months and is really into Thomas. Since DS was under 2, he was free. DH and I paid $18 each. Next we might go and not go on the train ride. They only take the $18 tix once you board the train. You can still take photos with Thomas and see him up close. Once you're on the train (we were 7 cars back), you don't see Thomas at all. There were a bunch of other activities that we went around to, and it didn't seem like you needed a ticket for those. So check your location, maybe you can do the same. Just show up and enjoy the festivities but don't ride the train. They'll still probably get some of your money (food, Thomas stuff for sale, parking, etc.).

maydaymommy
08-24-2009, 02:58 PM
We've gone in Strasburg, PA. Ds, at 2, really loved being in the train pulled by Thomas.

I have heard this tip, but I have not verified it, but it is worth finding out more about: Supposedly, they "dress" the train up like Thomas the day before! So, if you go in the late afternoon, the day before the event starts, you can see Thomas there, in all his thomas-y glory.

Where we go they have "regular" train rides all the time anyway. I know that ds would enjoy those, too - especially if you get to see Thomas on the track.

When we went we got there right before our scheduled ride and left almost right after getting his pic with Thomas after the ride. Ignored all the junk in tents and stuff.

Dariti
10-01-2009, 12:01 PM
I currently live near the Strasburg Railroad in PA. We just did the Day out with Thomas event a couple of weeks ago, and my boys loved it. I recommend going on a week day (not Saturday or Sunday), and arrive early (at least 15 minutes before the ticket office opens) as it will be less crowded, you'll get a good parking spot. We went on a Friday, which just happened to be a 1/2 day of school for my older son, DS1, (10 yrs.) so I filled out an "Educational Travel" form to excuse him for the entire day, because he didn't want to miss out on the fun with his 3 yr. old twin brothers, DS2 & 3 (and DS1 has been a Thomas fan from the time he was about 18 months old also).

I was told that the Strasburg station is one of the few to have a Thomas that is a real engine. We have also been to Day Out with Thomas events in Kansas, and Texas - both had a Thomas facade, and another engine pushing the train from behind, and DS1 did ask why Thomas needed help (when he was 3)- but it didn't bother him too much.

We arrived at the Strasburg station around 8:50 am (though I had hoped to get there at 8:30am), because the ticket office opened at 9am. I didn't buy tickets until we arrived, to avoid the "processing fees" that the online service charged, and picked the 11:15 am train ride, so we could enjoy the other activities and rides before riding in one of Thomas' coaches. (They also had a special combo ticket wher you could ride both Thomas and the Strasburg train, but I was on a budget, so just did the Thomas train). (I also made sure to explain to the little ones, and DS1 helped, that we could not ride in Thomas himself, because that is where the engineer has to be.) They were very excited when Thomas pulled into the station a little after 9am, and we were one of the first in line to go take pictures with him. They have their own photographers, and will try to sell you photos, but at Strasburg, they allow you to take your own photos as well, and will even take one with your camera also if you ask. I opted to not even go look at the photos they took, so I wouldn't be tempted to spend money I didn't really have.

They had many other "rides" for people with Day out with Thomas tickets to go on. We were asked a couple of times to show our tickets, but I think as the day went on and it got more crowded, they stopped asking. There was a hand crank car ride, which are cute little cars that are on a small track, and the kids have to make them go by operating a hand crank. This is the ride all my boys loved, and did about 12+ times (I actually lost count). They also have a Mini steam train, called "The Cagney" that made a short trip out and back, which parents can ride on with the kids. I did this once with them, and then let them go again w/o me, so I could take pictures of them. There was a tram engine (like Toby, but rounded on the ends, and no face), that we didn't find out about until near the end of the event, and it was really neat - if I would've known about it we would have gone on that ride more. It was the most educational, as the driver told us all kinds of stuff about the engine car. One more - there was also another little ride that was more like a hay ride, though on tracks, which the boys wanted to go twice on.

Of course there were also all the "Day out with Thomas" tents; one with train tables, coloring sheets (which I just stuffed into my backpack for later use at home), and tattoos. The train tables were unimpressive, they looked pretty old and shabby, but my kids didn't care, and since we went there early (before our train ride), there was hardly anyone else in the tent. We all got tattooed (Mom included!), had fun with the toy trains for a short while, before returning to the hand crank cars again.

Sir Topham Hatt was stationed in a train car for photos, and again, they took a couple, let me take some, and took a few with my camera so I could be in the shot too. After seeing Sir Topham Hatt, they gave the boys a "Jr. Engineer Certificate."

Of course we were all decked out in Thomas stuff -- I was wearing DS1's old Thomas backpack as a purse, DS1 wore his old Thomas engineer hat (it still fit!), and DS2&3 wore Thomas shirts (which of course once belonged to DS1), and engineer hats (which I had bought in the dollar area at Target sometime earlier this year).

I packed a picnic lunch, so after we rode on one of Thomas' coaches, we went back to where I parked (right on the other side of the tracks where Thomas was going in and out), and we sat in the grass, ate our lunch while watching everyone else go on their Thomas rides, and got some excellent pictures of Thomas coming & going, while my boys watched him, and ate their lunch. (I heard several Mom's getting on the train exclaim that I was so smart for packing a picnic - made me feel good.) It was so fun, to just relax in grass and get to watch Thomas, and wave to everyone on the train. (I think this was my favorite part of the day.)

I think we may have been able to get away with not even buying a ticket for some of the rides, and the Thomas activities, but like I said, they did ask to look at our tickets a couple of times, so I'm not sure.

Since it is expensive, I did make the most of it -- we spent the entire day there (from 8:50am-3:00pm), and I took hundreds of pictures.

It's all what you make of it too -- since I had been to the Strasburg Railroad when Thomas was not there, I knew I could picnic, and luckily the weather turned out perfect for it. I planned out what I wanted to do (mainly get the photos with Thomas & Sir Topham Hatt) and got those out of the way early before the lines got bad, so the boys could do the other activities as they wanted.

There was a tent with live entertainment, but we just passed by, and stood outside it to listen to a song or two before moving on. There was an amazing 2 or 3 yr. old boy who got up to the mic, and sang "She'll be comin' round the mountain," all from memory!! I was shocked - my 3 yr. olds can do the Alphabet song,and Twinkle little star - but I was blown away by that kid.

Anyway - we had a blast, and again, make sure you go on a weekday. You'll be able to be much more relaxed, less stressed and hassled, and if your station/museum allows bringing a picnic lunch - do it! You'll save money, and the kids will eat healthier.

Sorry to write so much, but I hope your experience at a Day Out with Thomas is as good as ours was (or better!). :yay:

Mikey0709
10-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Great review above of Strasburg, PA!!!!! We had a GREAT experience there also (definately go on a weekday). Also took hudreds of pictures and it was a awesome day. Loved it so much - we went back to Strasburg for the Easter Bunny train... also a great ride but my son wondered why Thomas wasn't there?

tylersmama
10-01-2009, 04:50 PM
XH ended up taking DS, and DS had a blast. I don't know a lot of the details since I wasn't there, but DS talked about it for days and came home with a new engine and tattoos on both hands. There is no weekday option out here, although that would be nice!

DrSally
10-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Yeah, eventhough I personally don't think it's worth the cost, DS loved it and still talks about it. He cuts pieces of paper and calls them his "tickets" for Thomas, and talks about bringing friends "next time". The best part for him was when he was playing, he heard the train whistle and knew Thomas was coming to give him a ride.

ETA: Dariti, your Thomas set up had *a lot* more than ours. Ours basically had the activity tables, a wet ball pit (it was raining) and one mini train. Most people stayed about 20 min before their train came and then left once their 20 min ride was over. Our Thomas train had just a face too and the area isn't park-like, just a big parking lot. Sounds like yours was very scenic and had a lot of fun stuff!

Dariti
10-05-2009, 08:19 PM
DrSally - sorry the event you went to didn't have much. That proves it really does depend on where you go.

The other Day out with Thomas events that we attended were in Kansas (can't remember the city), and in Austin & Burnet, Texas. (We lived in Austin, TX at the time.) These didn't have as much extra rides (can't really remember if they had any besides the Thomas train), but I think they both had more toy train activities; all the different types of Thomas trains, and other model trains set up to watch.

In Kansas, I remember us just walking up to Sir Topham Hatt out in the event field area (he was just wandering around with his photographer), and I got an awesome photo of him with each of my kids out in the sunlight (with my own camera). This was about seven years ago.

There was also a model train museum near one of them, that I think, was included (or had a discounted admission) with the Thomas tickets, so we walked to that and spent some time there also.

Of course there wasn't as much to do at either of these, but I think the train ride was longer than in Strasburg, PA and on one of them we got to ride in the top of the caboose, which was pretty cool. Also, I liked the photos we took in front of Thomas better (even though he wasn't a real engine), because the kids got to stand on a platform next to him instead on having to sit on a bench.

Now that I think about it - if we go to a Day Out with Thomas in Strasburg, PA again, I think I'll take the kids to the other side of Thomas, where we had our picnic to take photos when he first arrives.

Of course my Thomas years are dwindling. My twin sons (DS2&3) are turning 4 yrs. this month (we're doing a Thomas & James party), DS1 is 10, and probably wouldn't still be into Thomas if it weren't for his little bros., and DD is now 13 - who also enjoyed Thomas when DS1 got interested in him, but is now involved in her own teen social scene...

Anyway, the most fun is just watching the little ones faces light up when they see Thomas, and being able to enjoy it with them. The time slips by so fast.

DrSally
10-05-2009, 08:27 PM
anyway, the most fun is just watching the little ones faces light up when they see thomas, and being able to enjoy it with them. The time slips by so fast.

ita!...........