PDA

View Full Version : ISO NYC transportation info

jgenie
08-24-2009, 07:56 AM
I remember reading about a website that you could enter your starting point and destination and it would give you detailed directions similar to Mapquest but for walking which included Subway trains to take as well as what to do once you get off the Subway to get to your destination. Of course I can't find the info now. Does anyone remember this site?

We're thinking of taking DS into NYC this week. We're thinking of visiting the Intrepid and Central Park. If we take a train to Grand Central, is there a subway that will get us close to the Intrepid? I seem to remember there used to be a shuttle to Times Square from Grand Central. I'm guessing from TSquare it will only be a short walk of a few blocks to the Intrepid. We'd then walk back to TSquare to catch a subway to Central Park and subway from Central Park back to Grand Central. Does that make sense? TIA

TwoBees
08-24-2009, 08:06 AM
I think google maps does it, but not 100% sure. If not, try googling "New York City Subway" and you should find the transit authority's webpage, and there is probably more info there.

katerinasmom
08-24-2009, 08:10 AM
hopstop.com

There are multiple cities to choose from, including NYC. I live in NYC and use hopstop.com all the time. It's great.

vludmilla
08-24-2009, 09:48 AM
The last time I checked there was still a shuttle (subway) between GC and Times Square.

TwinFoxes
08-24-2009, 10:23 AM
We're thinking of taking DS into NYC this week. We're thinking of visiting the Intrepid and Central Park. If we take a train to Grand Central, is there a subway that will get us close to the Intrepid? I seem to remember there used to be a shuttle to Times Square from Grand Central. I'm guessing from TSquare it will only be a short walk of a few blocks to the Intrepid. We'd then walk back to TSquare to catch a subway to Central Park and subway from Central Park back to Grand Central. Does that make sense? TIA

It's at least a 20 minute walk from the subway to the Intrepid, and I did it by myself. Would you be pushing a stroller? It's starts out nice, but then gets rougher. It's not scary, but it goes from interesting things to look at, to warehouses etc. I should say it wasn't scary to me, but I've lived in a lot of cities and travel to NYC regularly. I don't know what your comfort level is, especially with DS. You might prefer to take a city bus there. Again, I think it's fine. Others may want to weigh in (you can also go to Google Maps and check out the street view of your route, probably up 46th street.)

vludmilla
08-24-2009, 10:43 AM
It's at least a 20 minute walk from the subway to the Intrepid, and I did it by myself. Would you be pushing a stroller? It's starts out nice, but then gets rougher. It's not scary, but it goes from interesting things to look at, to warehouses etc. I should say it wasn't scary to me, but I've lived in a lot of cities and travel to NYC regularly. I don't know what your comfort level is, especially with DS. You might prefer to take a city bus there. Again, I think it's fine. Others may want to weigh in (you can also go to Google Maps and check out the street view of your route, probably up 46th street.)

I think I know the general area. I agree that it is safe, especially during the day and I read OP's original post to say that her DH would be with them. I would think that they'll be fine walking (as you were and as I have been).

jhrabosk
08-24-2009, 11:10 AM

I agree with the others that it is quite a long walk from Times Square to the Intrepid. Perfectly safe during the day, but it's further than it seems. You might consider a crosstown bus from Grand Central? Might take awhile (slow traffic), but you can sit and look out the window at everything...and you won't have to wrangle steps up and down in the subway with the stroller.

Then, you can either take the same bus back to midtown for a subway up to Central Park. Or you can walk back to the subway. Or, you can walk a bit up the river and take a crosstown bus in the 50s or low 60s to drop you right by the park. Lots of options.

jgenie
08-24-2009, 08:24 PM
hopstop.com

There are multiple cities to choose from, including NYC. I live in NYC and use hopstop.com all the time. It's great.

:bowdown: :bowdown: Thank you - Thank you - Thank you!!

Thanks for all the advice - we'll see if DH is agreeable to taking a bus if not we'll try walking from TSquare. I'll check out the MTA website to figure out the best option. :)