PDA

View Full Version : I'm being eaten alive by bugs this summer...

HIU8
08-24-2009, 10:31 AM
I don't get it. I used bug spray and lots of it. It's not working this summer (it's the same stuff I always use, and it's a new bottle). I can't even walk out my front door without being attacked. I itch all the time and I have marks all over my body. I don't use perfume and I'm using the same shampoo, conditioner, deoderant, soap etc... as I always do. I don't get it and it's getting OLD!

etaylor75
08-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Have you seen the Thermacell Mosquito Repellent? I won't go outside without it :)

http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/olive-appliance.asp

They have them at Walmart....

Erin

ladysoapmaker
08-24-2009, 08:56 PM
You might want to stop eating bananas. There are some days if I eat bananas that the mosquitoes will eat me alive but then a lay off them and I might get bit around the ankles.

Jen

HIU8
08-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Funny, I have not had a banana in about 6 months.

dcmom2b3
08-24-2009, 09:27 PM
You might want to stop eating bananas. There are some days if I eat bananas that the mosquitoes will eat me alive but then a lay off them and I might get bit around the ankles.

Jen

That's great advice. DD and I are banana fiends and get eaten alive, always.

DrSally
08-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Interesting about the bananas. Do they make you smell sweet? I think some people (myself incl.) are just more attractive to mosquitos!

newnana
08-24-2009, 09:44 PM
DD has skeeter syndrome. I am not making that up, but it sounds like I am. She is wicked allergic to mosquitos and this year has been B.A.D.

Some things you can do:
-no bananas, as previously mentioned
-Keep a fan running on you when you are staying in one place outside
- Drink beer. I kid you not, folks that drink beer are less than half as likely to get bitten by a mosquito than those that do not. Unfortunately, DD and I do not drink beer (her for obvious reasons, me because I prefer girly drinks)
- For those not chemically opposed, Off now makes a sportsman bug spray that has a bunch more DEET in it than it's other deep woods off. It actually seems to repel them.
- lactic acid attracts mosquitos- so try to stay cool
- elimate standing bodies of water. You know, sand pails that have filled with rain water or the f'ing neighbors that put in a cesspool type pond right next to the fence? But, you can get mosquito egg eating fish and generously donate them to said cess pool in a neighborly way.
- Wear light colors. That's probably a rumor. DD wears mostly pastels. But I've heard it before.
-avoid all those fruity fragrances that we love
- or just stay inside. bummer.

maestramommy
08-24-2009, 10:00 PM
I am a mosquito magnet. Dh jokes that he doesn't need to buy one when he has me:p Even with 30% DEET spray I still get bitten, but it's limited to a couple of bites instead of being eaten alive. I don't know what it is. I don't eat bananas that often. In fact, I probably drink beer more often! I don't wear fragrances and all my personal care products are unscented. Can't do anything about the standing water thing, as the ark is headed our way. For whatever reason I am just tasty to skeeters. Either that or I emit a particularly alluring version of CO2:ROTFLMAO: