PDA

View Full Version : Are rush seats a big mistake?

katydid1971
08-24-2009, 04:01 PM
We need new counter stolls and I love these from pottery barn but they have rush seats. My mom says rush seats are the worst with little kids. Will I be regretting getting these?
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p237/index.cfm?pkey=cbarstools

g-mama
08-24-2009, 05:10 PM
I have rush seats from Pottery Barn at my kitchen table and three of the six are getting ready to be put out on the curb. We have had them for about five years and they are shot. There are pieces hanging off, the center of them has grown holes, food gets stuck in between the strands....they were not a good idea.

We're going to be replacing them very soon with a solid wood or leather seat. The only thing I would say is that if the barstool is not going to be used all the time by the kids, you may have better luck. We have two barstools that are not used for eating and if that was your scenario, it could work. I do love the way the rush looks.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
08-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Don't do it! I just had mine re-rushed for $90 a pop. Pottery barn also. Big mistake!

clc053103
08-24-2009, 06:19 PM
I have the pottery barn ones also and though mine definitely seemed to have held up better than the rest are reporting (mine are 4 years old), DS sits more in a tripp trapp than on the chairs. I do have issues with them- if food falls on them, it gets "caught" in the rush and is TERRIBLE to clean.

I bought a table at the same time- red pottery barn- and it has held up terribly. Looked years old after 6 months and that was before we had a child sitting at it- I would never buy PB furniture again as I hear too many reports like this.

kijip
08-24-2009, 07:06 PM
We had cheapie rush seats from IKEA that lasted fine for years. In fact, my friend still has them in use and she has a child as well. Now we have them again on PBK chairs (purchased used) and no problems so far.

g-mama
08-24-2009, 07:06 PM
I do have issues with them- if food falls on them, it gets "caught" in the rush and is TERRIBLE to clean.

We've had both yogurt and cottage cheese tip over and seep between the strands. Ewwwwww....

katydid1971
08-24-2009, 07:58 PM
I love these chairs but I don't think they will work. DC are at the counter all the time. :( Well I guess I'll just keep looking then.

mom2binsd
08-24-2009, 10:13 PM
I find those seats so uncomfortable (but never knew they were called "rush" seats).

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
08-24-2009, 11:38 PM
Just wanted to add that if you do get them, take off the seats ( very easy to unscrew) and add a coat or two of poly in low or no gloss... will help clean up immensely as recomended by my lady who did rushing. Also, those stools are ALWAYS at the outlets.