PDA

View Full Version : DS was given a gel ice pack to eat for lunch...

Lerber
08-24-2009, 08:17 PM
I am not sure what to think or how to react. I was cleaning out my 3 yr old ds' lunchbag after school today (the first day) and found his gel ice pack cut open on top. I asked him if he ate it and he said the teachers gave it to him to eat and he tried it then spit it back out in the ice pack "bag." He said he didn't like it because it tasted like old soda and he thinks it's for mommies and daddies to eat (he has never had soda but we tell him he wouldn't like it and it's for grownups). I was really worried about him having injested any. It says non toxic on the outside along with WARNING: do not place in mouth and if it punctures or breaks to please thow out.

I am really not sure what to think. I am definitely upset that this happened and don't want it to happen to someone else. I am planning on telling the director although do not want to get the teachers in trouble (and start ds' year off negative) so should I mention it to just the teachers? What if this happens in other classrooms. I am assuming the ice pack is pretty popular I got it last year in the dollar section at target and it has Lightening Mcqueen on it. I actually don't use this particular ice pact often esp. with younger dd because the thought has crossed my mind that it could look edible (I tend to over worry) and figured the WARNING would be a enough, also that DS would know not to eat it. That was the only ice pack we had frozen this morning (used the others for a cookout the day before and forgot to refreeze). So was it just a real mistake!

Snow mom
08-24-2009, 08:28 PM
:47: Seriously? An adult gave your 3 yo an ice pack to eat? I would be livid. It would really make me question whether the teachers/school/etc. are acceptable supervisors of my child.

Octobermommy
08-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Wth? And that is the kindest thing I can think of to say. I would mention it to both the teachers and the director. Not acceptable and dangerous even though it is non toxic. Major problem to me.

jgenie
08-24-2009, 08:34 PM
This would really bother me too - I would talk to the teachers and the director. What if he hadn't thought it tasted funny and really ate it? What if he had some sort of reaction to the contents?

gatorsmom
08-24-2009, 08:36 PM
:47: Seriously? An adult gave your 3 yo an ice pack to eat? I would be livid. It would really make me question whether the teachers/school/etc. are acceptable supervisors of my child.

:yeahthat: Holy cow. Even if the teachers did mistakenly think the ice pack was a snack bag because of the Lightning McQueen packaging, shouldn't they have noticed the cold pack goo once it was opened and questioned whether or not that was edible? scary...

infomama
08-24-2009, 08:37 PM
I would be at the office in the morning, ice pack in hand..you know the rest. :hopmad:

MommyAllison
08-24-2009, 08:38 PM
:yeahthat: Holy cow. Even if the teachers did mistakenly think the ice pack was a snack bag because of the Lightning McQueen packaging, shouldn't they have noticed the cold pack goo once it was opened and questioned whether or not that was edible? scary...

Yeah. That is scary!

gatorsmom
08-24-2009, 08:42 PM
I would be at the office in the morning, ice pack in hand..you know the rest. :hopmad:

I was just thinking this. First thing in the morning, I'd be right in front of them with the open ice pack in my hand asking who thought this was appropriate to eat?

DietCokeLover
08-24-2009, 08:45 PM
I was just thinking this. First thing in the morning, I'd be right in front of them with the open ice pack in my hand asking who thought this was appropriate to eat?

:yeahthat: You've got to be kidding me? I don't even know what to say about that other than I would definitely be knocking on some doors in the morning.

hobie
08-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Crazy! I can't imagine anyone mistaking a freezer pack for actual food! It's a good thing your DS was smarter than the teacher... I would definantly tell the teacher and director what happened.

brittone2
08-24-2009, 08:46 PM
That's tough. I understand not wanting to rock the boat but I'm sure the director will want to know this happened. I would hope they'd want to know, anyway.

I definitely think you should at least discuss your concerns w/ the director.

shawnandangel
08-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah. I wouldn't worry about starting the school year off on the wrong foot. This is a serious mistake.

I agree with the previous posters. I would be in the office first thing in the morning.

dcmom2b3
08-24-2009, 08:53 PM
That's unacceptable, and grounds for termination, honestly. One of the things that teachers are supposed to do for preschool kids is to pay attention to the dangers that the children, for whatever reason, can't recognize. Things like written warnings. Putting inedible blue goo in one's mouth and calling it lunch.

Reading is fundamental. Paying attention is fundamental. Owning up to mistakes is fundamental. I can't believe that it happened, and that you had to question your child to find out what happened. I would have expected a mea culpa phone call from the teacher and director after the incident, asking your preference -- "Shall we observe him or take him to ER? We've called poison control and have received the following advice . . ." etc. etc.

You're not the one starting the year out on a bad foot -- THEY are.

ETA: The more I think about this, the madder I get . . . seriously, what if there were some delayed effect once he was out of their care? Or if your child wasn't able/willing to tell you? B/c toddlers are so well known for always getting their facts straight, yeah. So they put the cut bag back in his lunch sack, like it's no big deal. Not that they should have tried to hide it, but I'd at least have a little more respect for their savvy and understanding of the seriousness of the screw-up if they'd tried to hide it by throwing the gel pack away!

So, to recap: inattentive, irresponsible, uncommunicative, lacking judgment, and, perhaps, intelligence; really high "this is important" threshold. Just trying to load you up with adjectives for your meeting . . . I'll stop now.

justincase
08-24-2009, 08:56 PM
You're not the one starting the year out on a bad foot -- THEY are.
:yeahthat:
I am livid *for* you. Yikes!

ThreeofUs
08-24-2009, 08:57 PM

:yeahthat: I'll tell you, I'd be there, too, and I wouldn't be quite so nice. "Reporting to state agency" would be one of the first things on my list to discuss, and we would go on from there and discuss "taking responsibility for mistakes" and "proper information for parents when a possible poison has been ingested".

I wouldn't be alone, either. My DH would be there growling, but I'd be so royally p!ssed that I don't think I'd keep him muzzled for it.

ETA: This is THEIR wrong-footing it. They need to (1) know about the incident and (2) take responsibility for it. They are responsible for keeping your child safe from harm. If they can't do that, then not only your child but every child there is at risk.

nov04
08-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Even if they are labelled non-toxic, they could have been contaminated by bacteria at some point during manufacturing. That's a huge danger to a child and completely crazy that someone thought it was appropriate to eat.

I'd be really concerned about this.

DrSally
08-24-2009, 09:14 PM
I'd be very upset. ITA with pp's that watching out for children's safety (incl. warnings on packaging and not eating dangerous items) is their number one priority. I do think you should let the director and teacher know. I would bring the ice pack too in case they don't believe you. It's possible the teacher didn't even notice it was an ice pack if they didn't contact you. I would also talk to DS about not eating anything that tastes funny to him. I have a similar icepack with fish on it from the Target dollar section. They do have hard sided icepacks in shapes (like a baseball). I would be nervous about sending an icepack again!

SnuggleBuggles
08-24-2009, 09:23 PM
I'd be in there tomorrow with my dh to meet with the director. Honestly? I would be getting a refund and leaving. This is not ok.

Beth

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
08-24-2009, 09:33 PM

:yeahthat:
Wowsers!

Neatfreak
08-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Obviously it was mistaken for a treat, but I am sure that the director would want to know about it to give all the staff a heads up to take a second look at what they're helping the kids with at snack and mealtime!

elliput
08-24-2009, 09:49 PM
I am planning on telling the director although do not want to get the teachers in trouble (and start ds' year off negative) so should I mention it to just the teachers?

Personally, I would want the responsible party to be in trouble. This is unacceptable. I would probably also be putting in a call to the appropriate state agency.

Naranjadia
08-24-2009, 09:51 PM
Obviously it was mistaken for a treat, but I am sure that the director would want to know about it to give all the staff a heads up to take a second look at what they're helping the kids with at snack and mealtime!

I agree. A heads up is in order for the staff. I'm surprised they thought it was food, but we do live in an era of bizarro kid treats. Yogurt goo in a day-glo green and purple tube. Cool Tropics RIPS pouches.

dcmom2b3
08-24-2009, 10:00 PM
I agree. A heads up is in order for the staff. I'm surprised they thought it was food, but we do live in an era of bizarro kid treats. Yogurt goo in a day-glo green and purple tube. Cool Tropics RIPS pouches.

See, now, I didn't know this. Wacky colored goo treats? Preschool sounds like a Dartmouth frat party . . . but I digress.

Maybe this makes me back away from my "stuck on stupid" point of view. But it was still irresponsible not to have called OP to inform her of the snafu.

LexyLou
08-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Wow! Like a previous poster mentioned, ok, maybe give the teacher the benefit of the doubt in accidentally opening it (thinking it was slushie treat) but to not notice it wasn't food once it was cut open and to leave it in the bag? That's just ridiculous!

hillview
08-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Wow. I'd be very upset, I'd talk to the teacher and director. I mean I get that people make mistakes but this seems like a REALLY hard one to understand. Kids have cold packs in their lunch. You don't eat them. If you CUT ONE OPEN it should grab your attention. I mean if your DC had started to eat it solo that is one thing but the teacher CUT IT OPEN and didn't notice it was a cold pack ... WTF?
/hillary

Naranjadia
08-24-2009, 10:30 PM
See, now, I didn't know this. Wacky colored goo treats? Preschool sounds like a Dartmouth frat party . . . but I digress.

Maybe this makes me back away from my "stuck on stupid" point of view. But it was still irresponsible not to have called OP to inform her of the snafu.

I agree it would be irresponsible not to fess up, although I have a sneaking suspicion that the teacher(s) may still not realize their mistake. If I am reading it correctly, the OP's DS didn't eat the gel because he didn't like it, not because it was taken away from him by a teacher.

lisams
08-24-2009, 10:54 PM
I can't believe someone would think an ice pack is a food! Holy cows. Out of curiosity I searched and found a picture of a McQueen ice pack - is this it? http://cgi.ebay.com/Disney-Cars-Lightning-Mc-Queen-Ice-Pack-for-lunch-box_W0QQitemZ390074150256QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ2009 0727?IMSfp=TL090727179004r4131

It does upon a first quick glance look less like an ice pack, and more like some kind of snack, but once you read the words "ice pack" that pretty much clears it up. I'm wondering if the teachers were in a hurry and just going around opening packages as fast as possible and didn't give it a good enough look. Either way, I think the school for sure needs to know what happened (it kind of sounds like the teacher may not have even known?) Very scary. I'm sorry, I'd be so upset about this.

hwin708
08-25-2009, 04:47 AM
^^^ I think the "Ice Pack" writing is on the packaging holding the ice pack. Not the ice pack itself.

I guess I'm more on the understanding side of this. How big is the Warning label? If it's just regular/fine print on the back on the pack - honestly, why would she see that? It would basically look like nutrition information. It would be like stopping to read the back of a Capri Sun - you just wouldn't.
I also agree with a PP that some of the stuff kids eat/drink these days is all pretty wacky looking. I know when I was younger, we had some sort of squeezable goo drink. Anyone remember what I'm talking about? Anyway, this cannot look that much different than that.

While I would absolutely talk to someone so they think to be more careful of this type of thing in the future, I also wouldn't be livid over something that seems like a pretty understandable mistake.

jamesmom
08-25-2009, 06:00 AM
OMG, that's downright dangerous!

We have the same ice pack and I have sent it in to school and camp many times with DS' lunches. I still don't see how it could have been mistaken for a snack unless the teacher(s) were rushed, careless or both. I would definitely talk to the director about this.

veronica
08-25-2009, 07:18 AM
First off, I am so sorry this has happened to your DS.

this is completed unacceptable. The fact that they gave it to DS to eat and then left it in the bag, tell me that the instructor , clearly had no idea what it was. That being the case, THEY SHOULD NOT BE IN CHARGE OF CHILDREN.

this needs to be reported. I know that it must be so difficult for you to think of making new arrangements but I seriously would.

The fact that it is labelled as non-toxic is luck in this case. There are plenty of items in this world that are technically non-toxic and still dangerous to eat!

egoldber
08-25-2009, 07:21 AM
You know I saw those ice packs in the store and I briefly thought it was kind of a poor idea. I think it could easily get mistaken for food product packaging. I know at Amy's preschool lunch time is a complete zoo. The teachers are running around opening things, heating up things, cleaning up spilled drinks and messes, helping kids eat who are not yet proficient eaters, etc. You're lucky someone didn't try to spoon feed it to him!

I would definitely bring it to their attention and hopefully they will be properly horrified. But I can easily see how it could happen.

LexyLou
08-25-2009, 07:56 AM
hmmm, ok, well if that's what it looks like I can kind of see the mistake. I was envisioning a blue gel pack. I still think it should be brought to the attention of the teachers in kind of an FYI, this is an ice pack not food way, but I could see how that could be mistaken for food.

clc053103
08-25-2009, 08:07 AM
I would definitely call the director- Don't worry about getting someone in trouble, worry about this happening to another child that DOES eat it and theirs is toxic?

How about a solid ice pack? i have one that looks like a baseball from Bed Bath and Beyond that clearly can't be mistaken. I also use a two-part lunch box that has a separate zipper area for a sandwich. Instead, I put the sandwich in with the meal and put the ice pack in the separate compartment.

I am sorry that this happened to you, I would be pretty freaked out too!

Clarity
08-25-2009, 09:07 AM
You know, I might actually report this to the company and maybe even the CPSC. If it looks enough like a food pack that people are accidentally serving it to children perhaps it should be removed from circulation.

egoldber
08-25-2009, 09:13 AM
I was actually thinking that the CPSC should be contacted. There is clearly not enough labeling.

DrSally
08-25-2009, 09:22 AM
You know, I might actually report this to the company and maybe even the CPSC. If it looks enough like a food pack that people are accidentally serving it to children perhaps it should be removed from circulation.

That's a good point. Although, I sent one like this with fish on it all last year in DS's lunch and never had a problem. If it's unclear though, better safe than sorry. They should prob label it more clearly.

hillview
08-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Ok looking at the picture it seems easier to understand the confusion. I think ice packs should more or less look like ice packs. I still think the teacher/director should get a heads up and agree with PP that a message to the CPSC is in order.
/hillary

Veronica's Mommy
08-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Yes, please, by all means call the mfr & CPSC! Yes the teacher should have known better, and you definitely should call them out on it. But really, that thing should NOT be on the market.

This is a good warning to all of us. Please keep us updated!

Nooknookmom
08-25-2009, 10:43 AM
How many kids are in his class/lunch group? There were two of us heading the lunch-bunch at our preschool and we had roughly 30 kids.

ITA w/ Beth that is can be a zoo trying to open straws, unwrap sandwiches, slice un-sliced sandwiches, clean up spills, open juices, NOT let the kids share (allergies & such)...etc, etc, etc. I would hear "MISS TRINA, plweeeeezze open dis!!!" from all corners of the room. So I can appreciate that "maybe" they just ASSumed that it was food ;)

However, I DO think that we would have noticed a kid eating their gel-pak/or noticed that the item I handed him/her was not a food product.

I'd be all over the manufacturer and holding it up in front of the teachers/director so that it doesn't happen to anyone again. Sounds like they are RUSHED at lunch-time!

SnuggleBuggles
08-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Ok, after seeing the picture of it I am not quite as freaked out. But, I know I would still be very reluctant to stay with this school. It just gives me enough pause. I'd see how they handle things when you bring it to their attention. If at all less than satisfactory that would be it. I think going in at lunchtime and observing is a good idea too. Ds1 always went to small programs so I was spoiled by the care and attention he and his classmates were given. He didn't have the experience Beth described.

Beth

kboyle
08-25-2009, 11:14 AM
ok, i have volunteered in our primary schools' (k & 1st) cafeteria during lunch and YES it is totally hectic, but honestly, there is no way an observant adult would mistakenly give a pouch of blue ice to a child. EVERYONE knows what the blue slush ice looks like, after cutting open the pouch you would have to notice, i imagine it would be floppy and attempt to spill out...also, yes, there are weird foods out now like gogurt...but again, most teachers/cafeteria aids/moms know what gogurt looks like.

i would definitely go straight to the director and discus and also consider CPSC...it should be more clearly labelled.

Emmas Mom
08-25-2009, 12:29 PM

That's exactly what I was going to say. I would be beyond pissed! TOTALLY NOT ACCEPTABLE. What insane moron would ever do that?!

tiapam
08-25-2009, 01:57 PM
IMO, this is a completely understandable mistake. If the words Ice Pack were not on the actual gel pack, I think it looks like a food item., but even if not, it would be easy to miss or mistake for Ice Pop. Yes, upon cutting it open it would seem to not be a food, but I agree with PP that there are a lot of weird foods out there for kids and much of it is packaged with popular characters on the label.

I respectfully disagree that everyone should know about gel packs. I have never purchased a gel pack and have only seen generic ones that came with frozen foods that were delivered to our house. I have never used one in DD's lunch. Also, I am curious, are there some that are toxic that people actually pack with their kids' lunches?

squimp
08-25-2009, 02:18 PM
I can't believe they cut open an ice pack to give your kid! I've sent a little Target ice gel pack to school with my daughter for the last two years. It never occurred to me that someone would cut it open with scissors and try to feed it to her. Would someone really think it was an ice pop, for lunch? Seriously?

I would report it to the teachers and the director of the school. I'd also report to the CPSC just so they can document that there are in fact people so clueless that they tried to feed it to a kid. Kid products do need to be idiot-proof. I wonder how many times this has happened. My guess is not many, but the manufacturer and overseeing agencies need to know.

vejemom
08-25-2009, 03:03 PM
After seeing it, I can totally understand how someone in a hurry could have mistaken it for a Go-Gurt or something. I've never seen one that looked like that before/ What color is the gel inside? I know a lot of them are blue, but I've seen ones (primarily the ones that come with shipments of animal vaxs) that aren't blue. I'd certainly bring it to their attention, but I personally wouldn't get too worked up about it.

This is totally my personal preference, but I don't pack ice packs at all. I've known too many kids in the 5-8ish range that would probably try to tear them open, puncture them with a fork, etc. You can get quite a "group-think" going at a table of silly 2nd grade boys...

Kungjo
08-25-2009, 04:42 PM
I can't believe that this happened. What were they thinking. Yes, you need to address this with the teachers and the director to prevent this from happening to other kids.

Even though the packs are non-toxic, your DS could have gotten a bad stomach ache from ingesting that. I would be pretty POed.

ThreeofUs
08-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Any updates? I'm dying to know how it went.

This is a VERY good point. I think it's a great idea.

shawnandangel
08-25-2009, 09:52 PM
:BUMP:

Wondering how everything went with the school today. What did you decide to do?

Reyadawnbringer
08-25-2009, 10:56 PM
ok, now I am not sure about this particular ice pack as we don't own it- but from what I understand the ice packs are made with a certain mixture of chemicals to make them stay colder longer than plain old ice. I know the blue gel ice packs are very distinctive and when there is a leak or punture I know about it immediately because the blue color gets inside the pail and/or on my fingers. The few times that I have accidentally handled a puntured gel pack and got blue on my fingers it was stained for a while.

So, assuming that this ice pack is made similar to all other ice packs... how did they teacher(s) not know that something was wrong when they saw the dye everywhere?? If it had any kind of color in it I would imagine it would have stained your DS' mouth for longer than you would expect from a plain old ice pop.

Good luck on dealing with the school though- seriously I don't care what the ice pack looks like- if it is an item that "looks" like food that they have never seen before they should be double checking it. end. of. story.