PDA

View Full Version : Bought a used exersaucer on CL, smells of smoke, should I keep it?

cdlamis
08-24-2009, 10:10 PM
I sent DH to buy the exersaucer and he called (on his way home with it) saying that it smells like smoke. The fabric part can be machine washed. Can I used vinegar/water to clean the rest (all plastic parts) and still use it?
WWYD?
I am so bummed! I finally found a good used one and didn't think to ask about smoking.

TIA!

Jenny_A
08-24-2009, 10:22 PM
What about taking it outside and hosing it down with water. Maybe spray some vinegar on it too? I wouldn't give up on it! It may take a few days to air out. I bet once you wash the cloth that will help. Is it really bad?

I bought some clothes off Ebay recently and they reeked. I was bummed because they were very nice Gymboree clothes. Two washes and they were just fine! You can't tell at all. I will be sure to ask about smoking environment from now on :-).

Tondi G
08-24-2009, 10:31 PM
I would take the seat off and wash it and put some vinegar in the rinse.

I don't know if you have any oxiclean in the house but you might consider hosing off the plastic parts and then give it a good scrub with Oxiclean and another good rinse. Let it dry in the sun. I bet it will probably be fine after that! You could also scrub it with some dish soap and some vinegar too then rinse well.

zag95
08-24-2009, 10:34 PM
You could also try Simple Green on the hard plastic part- I used it and then set in the sun to dry..- if the other things don't work- I think it'll make a comeback- the seat pad probably has the most "smell" in it!

GL!!

cdlamis
08-25-2009, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the replies. I feel so much better now!
With all the BPA news lately, I am so worked up about what I bring into the house (especially for the baby).

egoldber
08-25-2009, 08:32 AM
I would wash the seat and leave the plastic outside or in the garage for a few days. It should be fine after a few days of airing out.

JTsMom
08-25-2009, 08:47 AM
I hate to be the voice of dissent, but I'd say it depends on how sensitive you are to smoke. I'm extremely sensitive to it, and IME, once something truly reeks of it, there's no saving it. I'd try- but don't be surprised if it still has a smokey smell, kwim?

My grandma had this gorgeous antique chest of drawers that I absolutely loved. My parents hauled it all the way from PA to FL for me, brought it in, and it really smelled badly, even though my grandma hadn't smoked in many years. I cleaned that thing with everything under the sun, and although the smell was reduced, it still stunk. I eventually had to give it back to my parents b/c it was stinking up the whole place. :(

doberbrat
08-25-2009, 09:02 AM
I hate to be the voice of dissent, but I'd say it depends on how sensitive you are to smoke. I'm extremely sensitive to it, and IME, once something truly reeks of it, there's no saving it. I'd try- but don't be surprised if it still has a smokey smell, kwim?

My grandma had this gorgeous antique chest of drawers that I absolutely loved. My parents hauled it all the way from PA to FL for me, brought it in, and it really smelled badly, even though my grandma hadn't smoked in many years. I cleaned that thing with everything under the sun, and although the smell was reduced, it still stunk. I eventually had to give it back to my parents b/c it was stinking up the whole place. :(

personally I think the difference is wood is porous. I'd clean all the plastic parts of the exersaucer w/the cleaner of your choice and stick it in the sun for a few days. I always use my steamer to clean plastic stuff so if you have one or know someone who does, thats a good choice.

fwiw, I would have done all that regardless of smell b/c I'm a germaphobe like that.

Globetrotter
08-25-2009, 12:11 PM
I once bought a stroller from Ebay and it reeked of smoke. ugh

Based on the advice of BBB members, I washed it, febreezed it and aired it out for a long time. Eventually, it was alright, but I learned my lesson and always check now.

kcandz
08-25-2009, 08:31 PM
I would not use Febreeze on ANYTHING that might go into a baby's mouth.

Globetrotter
08-25-2009, 08:58 PM
You can also use baking soda!