PDA

View Full Version : Are Pottery Barn couches really worth the $$

LexyLou
08-25-2009, 12:11 AM
We're looking to get a new sectional. Of course I love all the ones at Pottery Barn and Crate & Barrel.

I have no problem spending $ for something if it's worth it, but I wonder what makes these sectionals worth $2K more than others?

Are they really that much more comfortable/durable or is paying for the name?

Does anyone know of places that sell couches that look like PB couches but cost less?

Thanks!

blisstwins
08-25-2009, 12:44 AM
I bought a PB couch 10+ year ago and it is still going strong. I have the PB basic slipcovered sleeper sofa. It is made by Mitchell Gold. I don't know if Mitchell Gold still makes the PB couches, but it is worth checking. Maybe MG is cheaper? MG is a good quality manufacturer.

Snow mom
08-25-2009, 07:30 AM
I think you get what you pay for when it comes to sofas. We have awful sofas. It's hard to invest in something nicer with a baby and two dogs that are just going to ruin anything new. They're really awful though. My parents have a Crate and Barrel sofa. Every time I sit on it I think "this is what a sofa should feel like." It's comfortable but firm enough that you don't sink into it. Very nice.

LexyLou
08-25-2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks, I looked up Mitchell Gold. There is a place that sells them in San Francisco. I'll check it out and compare prices. Glad to know it holds up!

annasmom
08-25-2009, 08:46 AM
No, there not. Well, actually it depends on the couch you buy.

We have had a few from PB for years that are still in great shape. Our sectional - not so much. But, that being said, we use our sectional ALL the time. And it is used by the kids much more than the other couches. So it gets a lot of really rough use. I would definitely tell you NOT to buy the chenille.

BeachBum
08-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Yes, Mitchell Gold makes the upholstered furniture for PB as far as I know. PB does not allow them to sell the same designs under another name though.
You should be able to find similar sofas (style and comfort) for less $$, but not the same one.

codex57
08-25-2009, 08:30 PM
I love our sectional. DW prefers Restoration Hardware but I prefer PB. RH was too expensive so we got PB. I think PB sofas are significantly more comfy than Crate and Barrel stuff.

The style is easily copied, but what impressed me was the comfort and quality of the sofa. If Mitchell Gold makes it for PB under license and is cheaper, by all means, I say go for Mitchell Gold.

khalloc
08-27-2009, 09:25 AM
We just got a new sectional in May and just ordered another one for upstairs. I love PB style, but not sure if you are just paying for the name.

Anyways, went to a local place and ordered a FlexSteel sectional. (just ordered our 2nd!) and I LOVE this sofa. Its sooooo comfy. You can choose the seat cushion (standard, firm or luxury(soft)). It wasnt cheap, about the same price as PB. But I know the brand is good, and I think I had more to choose from.

Cotton fabric will wear faster. Plus it stains more.

Polyester microfiber is your best bet for resisting stains.