PDA

View Full Version : Midway airport to downtown Chicago

egoldber
08-25-2009, 08:26 AM
If I arrive into Midway around 7 PM and need to get downtown, are there any issues taking the train? I'm a pretty veteran metro rider and know the Chicago system pretty well.

I think that's early enough I shouldn't have any concerns? I would be by myself.

Beckylove
08-25-2009, 09:23 AM
I've done it several times. I think it is easy to do and depending on traffic, probably faster than a cab & a lot cheaper. I've ridden the L at all hours and felt safe.

egoldber
08-25-2009, 09:32 AM
Thanks. :) I was told Midway was in an iffy-ish neighborhood. I've done it from O'Hare lots of times.

arivecchi
08-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Hmmmmm. It is an iffy neighborhood, but if there are lots of people taking the L there, I would be comfortable with it. Just make sure to stay in a car with more people in it.

DebbieJ
08-25-2009, 02:21 PM
The orange line is easy and safe. I have a friend who rides it by herself at all hours. She lives in the burbs and goes to school in the city and she has never had a problem.

I would feel totally safe riding at 7 p.m. Especially now when it's still light out.

gobadgers
08-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Yeah, the neighborhood around Midway is definitely sketchier than O'Hare, and the Orange Line does go through some interesting areas. But as ariveraz said, there will be plenty of people on the el at that time. I don't think you'll feel uncomfortable.

alexsmommy
08-25-2009, 04:19 PM
It should be no problem. There are lots of airport commuters doing the same thing so even though it can be an, ahem, interesting area, I'd feel perfectly safe as a woman doing this alone.