PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone made the Barbie cake??

annasmom
08-25-2009, 08:48 AM
The one where the barbie is sticking out of the center of the cake??

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefinder/display?id=50185

Any tips for a cake-making novice???

egoldber
08-25-2009, 08:51 AM
This is a very easy cake to make. Wilton has very simple directions and sells a pan of the appropriate shape. The bottom is one cake baked in the half-sphere pan. To give it more "loft" you can stack that on top of a simple round cake.

The doll just gets stuck on top and then you do a simple overall frosting and pipe on the dress decorations.

sarahsthreads
08-25-2009, 10:07 AM
If you have a Pampered Chef batter bowl, you can bake it in that - it's a bit more conical than a Pyrex bowl or the half-sphere Wilton pan. At least, that's my plan if either DD ever wants a princess/Barbie cake. (Love that batter bowl. Best purchase ever!)

Sarah :)

lfp2n
08-25-2009, 10:40 AM
I did it with a medium and small bundt tin on top of each other and filled the hole with a cupcake poured from the same mix. I used absolutely tons of frosting to cover up imperfections. I bought a half barbie with a spike instead of legs- very cheap, one problem I had was getting the frosting to stick to her body (especially top) as she was very shiny I think I might rough her up a little next time if you know what I mean. Anyway it was easy and came out really well. Good Luck

stillplayswithbarbies
08-25-2009, 10:43 AM
I think I might rough her up a little next time if you know what I mean.

that made me laugh right out loud.

KrisM
08-25-2009, 10:45 AM
What, like this?
http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/

egoldber
08-25-2009, 11:12 AM
LOL!!!! Love cakewrecks. :)

You could just pipe a sash around Barbie's waist. :)

kboyle
08-25-2009, 11:15 AM
i have never made it, but have a picture of me from the 80s with my barbie cake!

Sillygirl
08-25-2009, 11:29 AM
All I know is you put in the Barbie AFTER you bake the cake.

Twoboos
08-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Haven't made one, but I got one when I was little!! Big yellow foofy dress.

DD went to a bday party last week and the mom made one, she said it was pretty easy and got the recipe/directions from the Betty Crocker site. She wrapped Barbie's lower half in plastic wrap, which I thought was brilliant as I probably would have just jammed her in there, LOL!

brittone2
08-25-2009, 04:29 PM
I keep thinking of the semi-reclining barbie cake on cakewrecks now too LOL. I just started checking out that site over the weekend after the comments here and it was :ROTFLMAO:

Also :hysterical: at "roughing up" Barbie's bits ;)

annasmom
08-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks! I borrowed my friend's Wilton pan. I am hoping this works out well - I am HORRIBLE at icing regular cakes. This Barbie cake might just be my last.

sarahsthreads
08-25-2009, 10:22 PM
A curved cake is going to be slightly harder to ice smooth than a normal (short) cylindrical cake would be. Make sure you never let the spatula touch the cake itself to avoid getting crumbs in your icing. Also, depending on what kind of frosting you're using, there's another trick you can use to get it a bit smoother - I use the Wilton recipe for buttercream icing (or I buy their premade icing in cans if I'm feeling rushed) - so I don't know if this would work for, say, Duncan Hines canned frosting. First you ice the entire thing as smooth as you can, wait about 15-ish minutes to let the icing "crust" a little bit, and then use wax paper to gently smooth it out a bit more. If the icing sticks to the wax paper you need to wait a little longer. It can definitely help even things out a bit.

Good luck!

Sarah :)

Tanya
08-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Yes, I've made "princess cakes". I used the Pampered Chef batter bowl and added an additional round cake underneath because the princess barbies are taller than standard barbies. I wrapped the dolls in plastic wrap. I made Wilton buttercream frosting and piped stars all over. It takes more than one of the standard recipe though.

The first one I made was using my daughter's then favorite princess (cinderella), but she had to have a yellow dress since that was her favorite color.
And over a year ago, her favorite princess was Snow White, so that one was the Snow White doll and I did the Snow White dress and I held that darn cake on my lap cursing at my hubby not to hit bumps while he was driving because my daughter had to have her birthday party 45 minutes away.

Now for my big attempt at attaching pictures...

Corie
08-27-2009, 08:04 AM
My daughter has had a Barbie cake for a couple years now. I just get it made
from our local Bakery in town. My DD only likes chocolate cake with chocolate
frosting so her Barbie is always wearing a brown dress. :)