PDA

View Full Version : Potties and PT books.....

newg
08-25-2009, 11:17 AM
So DD is 18 months and I read now is a good time to put a potty down for her to start investigating......
I read some previous threads and it looks like Bjorn potties, FP or Ikea are the way to go.......

Now, for running errands and going to visit family/friends...do you have a potty for in the car and then a few around the house too?? Seems like that would be the easiest rather than taking a potty in and out of the car all the time....

And what about PT books?? Is the toddler bargains book a good one to get...and what do you rec. for reading about PTing in general....

Am I missing anything else??

TIA for the info!!!

ncat
08-26-2009, 11:44 PM
Having a potty around 18 months worked great for DD (fully daytime PT at 2). It was relatively easy to convince DD to sit on her potty when I used the big potty, compared to trying to entertain her otherwise.

I agonized over buying the perfect book for DD, but never did. DD loved the 2 books we ended up with as hand me downs (one was actually mine when I was a toddler). The most important thing seems to be that the kid (or animal kid) in the book is using the potty and pretty pleased with themselves. Since your toddler can't read, you can use your own prefered vocabulary. I never bought a book for me - I talked to friends, my parents and in laws, and followed my own intuitions and DD's lead.

We never traveled with a potty, except for extended stays at Grandma and grandpas. DH or I always helped DD when out and about.

Karenn
08-27-2009, 12:07 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Potty-Book-Alyssa-Satin-Capucilli/dp/0764152319/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251388637&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/You-Potty-Sears-Children-Library/dp/0316788880/ref=pd_sim_b_46

DD loved both of these books. At almost age five, she still asks to hear the top one and basically has it memorized.

The No Cry Potty Training Solution was the best grown-up potty training book for us. If you google Elizabeth Pantley and find her website, she's got a lot of tips on there.

We liked bringing our fisher price potty in the car because it had a lid and was less likely to spill if we couldn't empty it right away. We never needed a car potty with DS, but with DD, it was ESSENTIAL!