PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin D to boost immune system

Moneypenny
08-25-2009, 11:23 AM
I know there are some people here who take Vitamin D to boost their immune system. With cold and flu season right around the corner, I'm interested in starting this for my family.

Does anyone care to share what their protocol is, where they get the Vitamin D, etc?

Thanks so much!

elliput
08-25-2009, 11:29 AM
I know Sillygirl is a big proponent of Vitamin D, so hopefully she will chime in here.

As for me and my family, we drink Vit D enriched milk and try to get at least 15 minutes of time in the sun without sunscreen on everyday.

Sillygirl
08-25-2009, 11:34 AM
I'll post my family's regimen, which should not be followed by anyone else without the advice of your own physician (ie this is not medical advice.)

I take Nature's Bounty 2000 unit pills, one daily. I get them from drugstore.com. I don't like taking pills so getting the dose I want in one pill was a big deal for me.

My kids get vitafusion D gummies. One gummy contains 500 units of D and no other vitamins. They get one gummy in the summer. In the winter months, they'll get an extra two or three a week. I also get these from drugstore.com, and my kids love them.

mytwosons
08-25-2009, 11:49 AM
FWIW, I just had a general check up and will be having my levels tested. My doctor said she is encouraging all of her patients to supplement with 2000-4000 IUs/day.

ETA: She also said to get D3 if possible. Sillygirl, do you know if those gummies are D3? Costco.com shows them on sale for $7.99 right now.

Sillygirl
08-25-2009, 11:59 AM
The vitafusion gummies are D3.

mytwosons
08-25-2009, 12:09 PM
The vitafusion gummies are D3.

Oh yum! I don't think I'm going to have any problems keeping my D level up! Thanks!

icunurse
08-25-2009, 12:09 PM
The most conservative ped in the practice told us how we need to be concerned about Vit D because people aren't getting enough and recommended a supplement (which shocked the heck out of me!). A co-worker recently had her Vit D levels checked after reading an article about how American's lack their D, how sunlight isn't enough, etc. The doc rolled her eyes at her request, but did it anyway....and her results came back at 1/3 of normal....and she is in the sun a lot, drinks her milk, the usual.

smiles33
08-25-2009, 12:26 PM
We ordered this Vitamin D supplement for DD2, who's exclusively breastfed, based on our ped's recommendation: Just D (http://www.sunlightvitamins.com/joomla/). It's just corn oil and vitamin D, so if you hate pills, you might consider this (though it's a bit expensive for older kids/adults who can take pills).

http://www.sunlightvitamins.com/joomla/images/stories/SLV_Images/packaging.jpg

niccig
08-25-2009, 01:03 PM
I'm going to start this too. I'm getting my 3rd head cold in as many months and it's not flu season yet. I don't know what is going on with me this year - I didn't have this last year.

Thanks for posting.

brittone2
08-25-2009, 01:19 PM
We do vitamin D (I alternate some CLO and vitamin D3 capsules). I aim for about 2000 IU a day (sometimes more) but that's a highly individual situation IMO.

My kids take the Rainbow Light Sunny Gummies (d3) from Vitamin Shoppe (eta: that place is the cheapest I've found them at a brick and mortar store...Whole Foods, etc. also carry them.). Each is 400IU. They also do some CLO.

We also eat pastured eggs, wild salmon, etc. which are all good sources of D and get some sun every day (we are in NC where it is quite sunny and warm enough to be outside a good part of the year) without sunscreen.

cairo06
08-25-2009, 01:58 PM
A co-worker recently had her Vit D levels checked after reading an article about how American's lack their D, how sunlight isn't enough, etc. The doc rolled her eyes at her request, but did it anyway....and her results came back at 1/3 of normal....and she is in the sun a lot, drinks her milk, the usual.

I went to a new doctor last week and I told him that as part of my annual check-up I would also like my Vitamin D tested. I told him about recent recommendations in the US, but he seemed skeptical. We eat free range eggs, but milk here does not have added Vit D. I'll definitely be looking into supplements for the whole family.

Moneypenny
08-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Good info, everyone. Thank you!

marie
08-25-2009, 05:55 PM
are folks taking this on top of multi-vites? DDs' vitamins have 400IU of vit D. I'll be checking with their ped to see how much he recommends. . .

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07

brittone2
08-25-2009, 06:18 PM
are folks taking this on top of multi-vites? DDs' vitamins have 400IU of vit D. I'll be checking with their ped to see how much he recommends. . .

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07

We don't do multis for a variety of reasons.

DrSally
08-25-2009, 10:05 PM
I found some gel caps at Costco that have 2000 units of Vit D. I like taking just one little pill (in addition to a multi I take). DS gets a multi with 400 IU's and DD gets trivisol.