PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a mother's helper for DC?

mommy33
08-25-2009, 11:28 AM
We recently moved into a great new neighborhood with awesome neighbors. We've been getting to know the family across the street and they are very nice and raise their kids well. Their youngest daughter (who I think is 10 or 11 yrs old) really wants to learn to babysit so I told her and her parents that I would teach her to babysit DD (who is 5 1/2 months old) and then have her come over to help with the baby well I do things around the house. They were all very excited about this.

She is coming over tomorrow for her first "babysitting lesson" (her words) and now I'm nervous. I'm not exactly sure what to teach her or what to do. Does anyone else have a kid helping them out with the baby? I was thinking about just going over the basics with her - safety, diaper changing, feeding, etc. Any ideas? I'm pretty shy especially around kids that I don't know so if I have a plan going in that would help.

SnuggleBuggles
08-25-2009, 11:43 AM
I don't have my mh do anything more than supervise and play. No additional responsibilities like feeding or diapering yet for my now 12yo mh.

I'd probably do an orientation to the house and show her where things are kept. I would do a safety run down like how gates work, what are dangers for the baby and reminders to her about always staying in line of sight of the baby unless the baby is somewhere safe like a playpen or crib.

Beth

AnnieW625
08-25-2009, 11:49 AM
My daycare providers daughter and friends had a date night thing at DCPs house a few weeks back and it was a great thing for them. The girls are 11 and in 6th grade. I do believe they helped serve the meal and I believe they also changed the baby's diapers.

FWIW I think that a 10 or 11 can change a diaper or feed a baby some food. My sister and I are 10 years apart and I remember changing her cloth diapers w/pins and feeding her a bottle or cereal when she was about a year old.

mommy33
08-25-2009, 12:41 PM
I don't have my mh do anything more than supervise and play. No additional responsibilities like feeding or diapering yet for my now 12yo mh.

Do you mind me asking how much you pay your MH? I have no clue. Also, do you not have her do diapering and feeding because you don't think she's old enough yet?

bigpassport
08-25-2009, 12:42 PM
If the girl hasn't really been around babies before, I think just having her follow you around while you articulate/explain everything you are doing and why you are doing them will be educational for her. After she seems to get the basic concepts (babies can't be left alone, have to be watched all the time, will put everything in their mouth, etc.) you can advance to feeding, diapering and putting down for naps. Also, teach her how to play with the baby because that is what you will want her to do in the long run, entertain the baby.