PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Please don't text while driving

ourbabygirl
08-25-2009, 11:30 AM
ETA: This video is graphic and may disturb some viewers. It's approx. 4 min. long.
Sorry for not including this earlier! I was trying to tend to something here and didn't take enough time to include that.

I'm not sure if this has already been posted, but I think it's a good reminder to us all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGE8LzRaySk

g-mama
08-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Wow, that is a powerful message. Thank you for sharing it.

new_mommy25
08-25-2009, 12:01 PM
There have been a few accidents here regarding that. Now they have banned cell phone use while driving and they'll pull you over and issue a ticket.

Fairy
08-25-2009, 12:03 PM
I am coming out to say I am guilty of texting while driving. It is STUPID. It is A REALLY BAD IDEA. Yet, I've done it. Only at red lights, as I'm not that dense as to have knowingly done it while moving. But once in the habit, which I am, one goes on autopilot. That's what a habit is. So, it's very easy to suddenly find yourself doing it while moving. I have never found myself doing it while moving, but it's only a matter of time. I twirl my hair, and I find myself doing it not having realized I started. So, I know that while I currently only text at red lights that texting while MOVING is next. It's just inevitable. And I don't want to do it!

I hereby have my wakeup call and will no longer text while in the drivers seat of my car, even when stopped. The phone is put away. Period. Forever.

ETA --> Now that I've watched the entire PSA, I must say how affected I was. Very well-done in every way. There is no part of that clip that didn't make me think, and everything from the crunch to the blank staring eyes to the I want Mummy and Daddy to wake up, I was horrified. Thank you for posting this. Thank you thank you thank you.

wellyes
08-25-2009, 12:21 PM
The link takes you to a video featuring a rather graphic accident and the aftermath including emergency workers taking an injured victim on a helicopter.

Not to give spoilers but as someone who has a family member permanently injured in a very serious auto accident, I know how traumatizing it can be to see videos like this. I'm not opposed to this kind of PSA, but am pointing a warning to others in the same boat as me.

Laurel
08-25-2009, 12:59 PM
I am coming out to say I am guilty of texting while driving. It is STUPID. It is A REALLY BAD IDEA. Yet, I've done it. Only at red lights, as I'm not that dense as to have knowingly done it while moving. But once in the habit, which I am, one goes on autopilot. That's what a habit is. So, it's very easy to suddenly find yourself doing it while moving. I have never found myself doing it while moving, but it's only a matter of time. I twirl my hair, and I find myself doing it not having realized I started. So, I know that while I currently only text at red lights that texting while MOVING is next. It's just inevitable. And I don't want to do it!

What if you store your phone where you can't reach it while driving? Part of the problem is that texting is actually addictive behavior. The brain gets a small rush of dopamine when you receive a text. You will need to work to stop this, like any addictive behavior.

boolady
08-25-2009, 01:14 PM
The link takes you to a video featuring a rather graphic accident and the aftermath including emergency workers taking an injured victim on a helicopter.

Not to give spoilers but as someone who has a family member permanently injured in a very serious auto accident, I know how traumatizing it can be to see videos like this. I'm not opposed to this kind of PSA, but am pointing a warning to others in the same boat as me.

I'm glad I am not the only person who thought that perhaps this could use a warning that this is kind of graphic. The message is good, but I think people might want to know before they watch it that it contains pretty graphic footage. I was in a fatal MV accident last year caused by a driver who was texting. Although I was so very lucky and am perfectly fine, I think about it every day and would probably have never opened that link. No criticism meant to original poster, just seconding your suggestion.

Fairy
08-25-2009, 02:40 PM
What if you store your phone where you can't reach it while driving? Part of the problem is that texting is actually addictive behavior. The brain gets a small rush of dopamine when you receive a text. You will need to work to stop this, like any addictive behavior.

Well, I already receive texts while I'm driving but don't read them (or my email) while actually driving. I do wait till the red light, check them, then put the phone down in the cup holder (or back in my boob, but that's another story) to continue doing the reading and/or texting back. I do talk on the phone while driving, but reading and texting I've not yet purposely done while moving. So, not doing it at all while in the drivers seat I think I will be able to do.

alien_host
08-25-2009, 02:46 PM
I'd also prefer if people didn't talk on their cellphone while driving either. I was at the store, a lady got in her car in the parking lot, picked up her phone, started her car and drove away talking on the phone. I mean, you can't stay in the lot for another few minutes to make your call? It drives me insane.

I think the roads would be so much safer if people didn't text or talk on the phone when driving.

In Mass. there have been several accidents on the MBTA (public train/subway) where the operator was texting or on the phone. It really needs to stop all around.

(hopping off soapbox)....

maestramommy
08-25-2009, 02:47 PM
My dad has gotten into an accident (not serious) while talking on the cell and driving. It drives us nuts. We keep asking him, what call is so important that you not only have to check, but CALL BACK?? We told him that it's now illegal to talk on your cell while driving in his state. Technically it's not, you need a hands free device, but we just tell him that to keep him away. It's partly a habit, partly what happens when you are a workaholic and think the world will stop spinning if you don't answer the crucially important phone call. And this is a retired man. errrrrrrr!

Last week we passed a man on the freeway who was gesturing dramatically while driving. I thought he was having a conversation with a passenger. Nope! Turns out he was talking on the cell which he held with his left hand, and gesturing with his right hand. Good grief! And we were all going over 60 mph! I told Dh to pass him quickly.

StantonHyde
08-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Talking on the cell phone while driving=a drunk driver. Seriously. A team of researchers from the University of Utah has tested this with hands free devices and regular phones. TExting is even worse--think drunk driver not looking at road.

My DH is an ER doc. I am not ALLOWED to talk on the phone while driving. With all the carnage he sees due to phoning and texting, he just will not have our family doing it.

Globetrotter
08-25-2009, 03:03 PM
I don't text (in general) but I started keeping my handbag in the back so I'm not tempted to answer the phone, either. I get the kids to do it if I'm expecting an important message.

I think that is an effective PSA, but it's very long. I think it should be required viewing during driver's ed, for sure, because I don't think that demographic would voluntarily sit through it.

MontrealMum
08-25-2009, 03:12 PM
It's now illegal to talk on a cell in Quebec while driving, and has been for a few years. Drivers can still use hands-free devices, not because it's safer, but only because police readily admit that there's really no way to monitor something like that. Quebec followed the lead of New York state which enacted a no-cell phone while driving law a number of years ago now. The gov't watched NY for a few years and did some studies, and decided that it would be a good thing to implement here too. Of course, our drivers are NUTS, so something like this is just a drop in the bucket!

maestramommy
08-25-2009, 03:15 PM
I think that is an effective PSA, but it's very long. I think it should be required viewing during driver's ed, for sure, because I don't think that demographic would voluntarily sit through it.

When I took Drivers Ed in HS, we saw a film strip called "Death on the Highway." Lot's of blood and all that. I think this video should be part of that viewing.

edurnemk
08-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Last week we passed a man on the freeway who was gesturing dramatically while driving. I thought he was having a conversation with a passenger. Nope! Turns out he was talking on the cell which he held with his left hand, and gesturing with his right hand. Good grief! And we were all going over 60 mph! I told Dh to pass him quickly.

A couple of weeks ago, we passed a woman holding her iphone with one hand and typing on it with the other, eyes on the phone, driving at 70 mph on the freeway. I couldn't believe it, not only texting but not even holding the wheel.
A few miles ahead we passed another woman who was reading the NEWSPAPER! Holding it with both hands and also driving at 65 mph. I also asked DH to pass them quickly.

Laurel
08-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Well, I already receive texts while I'm driving but don't read them (or my email) while actually driving. I do wait till the red light, check them, then put the phone down in the cup holder (or back in my boob, but that's another story) to continue doing the reading and/or texting back. I do talk on the phone while driving, but reading and texting I've not yet purposely done while moving. So, not doing it at all while in the drivers seat I think I will be able to do.

When you are at a red light- you ARE driving. No offense, but I am really scratching my head at this behavior from such an otherwise wise person.

Fairy
08-25-2009, 04:58 PM
When you are at a red light- you ARE driving. No offense, but I am really scratching my head at this behavior from such an otherwise wise person.

Ouch.

I am not moving when I am stopped. And I just said twice now that I'm no longer going to do even that.

I can't be the only one out there. I'm just the only one who's said soemthing. Trust me, I'm not proud. But, I'm not the bad guy.

I must learn to shut my trap.

Snow mom
08-25-2009, 05:14 PM
When I took Drivers Ed in HS, we saw a film strip called "Death on the Highway." Lot's of blood and all that. I think this video should be part of that viewing.

Didn't watch the PSA because I don't need images of death and suffering to remind me not to text behind the wheel. Just wanted to say I HATE these types of graphic videos and don't think they have any place in a driving class. We watch a video called "Red Asphalt" in high school drivers ed. It was extremely graphic. Fifteen years later thinking about it still bothers me. But it didn't make me a safer driver. Time and maturity were still required before I realized I'm not invincible and I'm just not that much in a rush.

Laurel
08-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Ouch.

I am not moving when I am stopped. And I just said twice now that I'm no longer going to do even that.

I can't be the only one out there. I'm just the only one who's said soemthing. Trust me, I'm not proud. But, I'm not the bad guy.

I must learn to shut my trap.

I apologize, I really didn't mean to come off harsh. I actually admire that you are sharing this with us. Don't think you are a bad guy at all! We all do things that others would not imagine doing. For example, as I type this my kids are on another floor of the house where there is an oven on. I know it is not the safest thing to do, but I'm doing it. My surprise was just that you admitted to this knowing you to be a very prudent person in general- I did not mean to insult you- so again, I apologize.

I must also say this, and it is with all due respect and not directed just at Fairy (I get that she has said she won't be texting in the car anymore): even at a red light, I expect other drivers to be fully aware of what is going on in an intersection. IMO, it is one of the very worst/most dangerous places to be distracted, stopped or not.

I will shut MY trap now.

cvanbrunt
08-25-2009, 05:45 PM

I'd like to see that data on that. Just because people do something repeatedly against their better judgment doesn't make it addictive. Addiction is a pop psychology term. They have actually put probes in the nucleus accumbens of humans who are receiving text messages? How did that get past an IRB? It's never been done before. Your brain gets a rush of dopamine when you move, too. It's a neurotransmitter involved in lots of things. Not all of them are related to what people call "addiction".

Just a little pet peeve of mine. I'm a dork, I admit.

Fairy
08-25-2009, 05:52 PM
I apologize, I really didn't mean to come off harsh. I actually admire that you are sharing this with us. Don't think you are a bad guy at all! We all do things that others would not imagine doing. For example, as I type this my kids are on another floor of the house where there is an oven on. I know it is not the safest thing to do, but I'm doing it. My surprise was just that you admitted to this knowing you to be a very prudent person in general- I did not mean to insult you- so again, I apologize.

I must also say this, and it is with all due respect and not directed just at Fairy (I get that she has said she won't be texting in the car anymore): even at a red light, I expect other drivers to be fully aware of what is going on in an intersection. IMO, it is one of the very worst/most dangerous places to be distracted, stopped or not.

I will shut MY trap now.

No, you're good, it's ok. I'm sensitive. But, I'm the one who said, "hey, I do this!" :wavey: so what do I expect, I guess? I am trying to do better, and this PSA, while really graphic, came at the right time for me. I've only recently become an uber-texter, and it's time to turn it off in the car, and that's that.

Laurel
08-25-2009, 06:04 PM
I'd like to see that data on that. Just because people do something repeatedly against their better judgment doesn't make it addictive. Addiction is a pop psychology term. They have actually put probes in the nucleus accumbens of humans who are receiving text messages? How did that get past an IRB? It's never been done before. Your brain gets a rush of dopamine when you move, too. It's a neurotransmitter involved in lots of things. Not all of them are related to what people call "addiction".

Just a little pet peeve of mine. I'm a dork, I admit.

Only repeating what I read in an article in The Week that was quoting a Maureen Dowd editorial in the NYT. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/opinion/22dowd.html?_r=3

I am not a neuroscientist, and it made sense to me. Addiction or not, I think we can all agree texting while driving is bad idea.

egoldber
08-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Fairy, I also check e-mail and sometimes text at red lights. Never while the car is in motion. I seriously don't see the danger when I am stopped at a red light? The worst thing that can happen is I miss the light LOL!

I do sometimes talk on the phone while driving, but not commonly. I'm not a big phone talker anyway.

And my understanding of the data is that talking to ANYONE while driving, even a passenger, was the same as 1 drink. Do people not talk to passengers?

Laurel
08-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Fairy, I also check e-mail and sometimes text at red lights. Never while the car is in motion. I seriously don't see the danger when I am stopped at a red light? The worst thing that can happen is I miss the light LOL!

Ok, I fully admit I am being a nag/pain about this, but three scenarios I can think of off the top of my head that IMO aren't all that far-fetched:

1. The light turns green, but you don't notice and another car hits you from behind when they expect your car to move. Their fault to be sure, but would it have happened if you were looking at the intersection/lights the whole time?

2. Another driver runs their red light when yours turns green, but because you weren't watching the intersection you don't have as much time to anticipate/react as a driver who was paying attention.

3. A pedestrian/animal steps into the intersection against the light- your light is green but because you were texting and not paying attention to the intersection (anticipating what others in the area of the intersection might do) you risk hitting the pedestrian/animal. Their fault again, but who wants to hit someone?

ETA: I am not perfect. I sometimes turn around at lights to get stuff for my kids, etc, and I have head near-misses doing this. I think that is why I am harping on it, LOL.

egoldber
08-25-2009, 06:58 PM
1. The light turns green, but you don't notice and another car hits you from behind when they expect your car to move. Their fault to be sure, but would it have happened if you were looking at the intersection/lights the whole time?

I have often missed a light because I was turned around talking to my child. Is this different? As you say, it is the other driver's job not to hit me from behind.

2. Another driver runs their red light when yours turns green, but because you weren't watching the intersection you don't have as much time to anticipate/react as a driver who was paying attention.

3. A pedestrian/animal steps into the intersection against the light- your light is green but because you were texting and not paying attention to the intersection (anticipating what others in the area of the intersection might do) you risk hitting the pedestrian/animal. Their fault again, but who wants to hit someone?

As I said, I never text/e-mail while the car is in MOTION. That includes pulling away from a red light. If it's not for you fine, but ALL of these scenarios are true for ANY distraction. As a PP said, I am more distracted by my kids while driving than anything else.

StantonHyde
08-25-2009, 06:59 PM
"And my understanding of the data is that talking to ANYONE while driving, even a passenger, was the same as 1 drink. Do people not talk to passengers?"

The researchers tested this--talking to passengers is not as distracting as talking on the phone. The passenger can see where you are driving and will often pause until make a turn for example. Drivers totally get sucked into cell phone calls. Here is the article link:

http://www.unews.utah.edu/p/?r=062206-1

ourbabygirl
08-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Yeah, just two days ago DH, DD, and I were on our way to ILs for them to baby-sit her (we were going out to celebrate our anniversary)... we were stopped at a red light, and someone came charging through, in our lane or right next to it (on the right), and DH saw him in the rearview mirror and swerved quickly to the left. Luckily no one was in the turning lane to our left, and luckily DH was looking in the rearview mirror, or the guy would have rear-ended us at about 60 mph... who knows what could have happened to DD (rear facing but behind my seat)? I didn't see the guy coming because I was facing forward, but DH got seriously freaked out and MAD after it happened. I'm glad he happened to be looking in his rearview; I don't think I ever look in it at a red light, so I'm afraid of what would have happened if I had been driving. Also makes me want to make sure we always have a BIG car to be driving in (we have a small 4-door sedan as my car, and when the lease runs out in the spring, I want something bigger/ longer)!

kcandz
08-25-2009, 08:23 PM
I didn't watch the video but texting while driving scares the crap out of me. I am so afraid someone is going to hit me in the car with DCs because they are doing it. People don't read magazines or use a notebook while driving - texting is reading and writing. It just seems so much more pervasive than drunk driving, like it could happen at any time of the day or night. I know drunk driving could too, but it would seem more risky late at night, after bars close, when I am certainly not driving.

I have been trying to give wide berth people on cell phones too while on the freeway, but now in CA there is a handsfree law so I can't always tell who is on the phone or not.

wellyes
08-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Addiction is a pop psychology term.

No it is not. "Addiction" is a real, actual, medical problem. In popular culture sometimes it is used in place of "compulsion" which is what I think texting is. But compulsions can be powerful too (I have a tinge of OCD, so I'd know).

I'm glad he happened to be looking in his rearview; I don't think I ever look in it at a red light, so I'm afraid of what would have happened if I had been driving. Also makes me want to make sure we always have a BIG car to be driving in (we have a small 4-door sedan as my car, and when the lease runs out in the spring, I want something bigger/ longer)!

Kind of OT but.... big cars are NOT necessarily safer. You're better off in a performance oriented car whicih can avoid collision; the truck-based SUVs are notoriously not very nimble. Not getting hit in a smaller car is much better than getting hit but being in a bigger car! Maybe best of both worlds is one of those Audi or Acura crossover SUVs.

Globetrotter
08-25-2009, 08:49 PM
The researchers tested this--talking to passengers is not as distracting as talking on the phone. The passenger can see where you are driving and will often pause until make a turn for example. Drivers totally get sucked into cell phone calls. Here is the article link:

http://www.unews.utah.edu/p/?r=062206-1 (http://www.unews.utah.edu/p/?r=062206-1)

Yes, when someone is in the car with you, they can see what's going on and why you may not answer a question right away. You also don't have the distraction of a phone or even a headset, volume controls, etc...

Before the law, I used to talk on the phone sometimes while driving, and I used to tell the other person I had to stop for a minute while I did something like take a sharp turn. I'm just lucky that nothing happened.

maestramommy
08-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Kind of OT but.... big cars are NOT necessarily safer. You're better off in a performance oriented car whicih can avoid collision; the truck-based SUVs are notoriously not very nimble. Not getting hit in a smaller car is much better than getting hit but being in a bigger car! Maybe best of both worlds is one of those Audi or Acura crossover SUVs.

I agree with this. Obviously if you get hit in a smaller car, it's more dangerous than if you get hit in a large car or SUV. But a smaller car will more easily enable you to avoid getting hit. Maybe SUVs now are different, but just a few years ago, they were quite tippy. Many people mistakenly think they were safer because of their sheer size, but in reality they were harder to drive. Also, in a large SUV people sometimes think of themselves and invincible, and don't consider the other people on the road as much as they should.

Kitten007
08-26-2009, 03:02 AM
I watched the video and CRIED! Very good to show teenagers and adults. Gosh stilling crying now..........

Reyadawnbringer
08-26-2009, 01:22 PM
"And my understanding of the data is that talking to ANYONE while driving, even a passenger, was the same as 1 drink. Do people not talk to passengers?"

http://www.unews.utah.edu/p/?r=062206-1

:yeahthat:

Also, with a passenger in the car they act as another set of eyes, possibly seeing things that you may miss- so no- it is not the same as drunk driving, however talking on a cell phone is because you don't have the person on the other side of the call to pick up on environmental cues.

egoldber
08-26-2009, 01:45 PM
however talking on a cell phone is because you don't have the person on the other side of the call to pick up on environmental cues.

LOL! My kids are not so big on picking up on those clues. When dealing with my Quizmasters, I've missed exits, sat through green lights, and been generally distracted much more than by being on the phone. Bur I talk to my kids in the car way more often than I talk on the phone.

But I do agree however it is not a good habit in general. My main point is that I think that many people underestimate how distracted they are when driving just by the normal things of talking to kids and other passengers, changing radio stations, eating and drinking, navigation systems, etc. The more complicated our driving experience becomes, the more dangerous it is.

But my side swipe of a pole in the parking garage at work the other day was because I was tired. Sigh.

deborah_r
08-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Wow, I just watched 12 episodes of Dexter in about 3 days over the weekend, but I could not watch that video. Made it about 30 seconds and stopped.

Fairy
08-26-2009, 04:45 PM
But my side swipe of a pole in the parking garage at work the other day was because I was tired. Sigh.

This makes me feel enormously better about sheering off my passenger side mirror when backing out of my garage three years ago. :wavey:

Fairy
08-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Wow, I just watched 12 episodes of Dexter in about 3 days over the weekend, but I could not watch that video. Made it about 30 seconds and stopped.

It was the non-graphic accident scenes -- the ones where it's all over -- that were the most horrible. So, ya done good.

Seriously, I'm really affected.

shawnandangel
08-26-2009, 06:41 PM
I watched this last night and it's still on my brain today. I can't get those images out of my head.

rlu
08-26-2009, 07:32 PM
I admit I did not watch the video. I don't text on my phone period, nor do I use my cell phone while driving and I don't think anyone should. When we were househunting back in 97 our agent was constantly on the phone and drove so erratically we asked to drive after the first househunting trip with her. And the news has been filled with accidents caused by inattentive drivers talking or texting for years.

Here's a short article on the video that describes the video vividly plus a few comments on it from law enforcement. They also mention Red Asphalt which used to be shown as part of driver's ed, but I'm not sure they even have driver's ed at public schools around here anymore.

In CA we have a "hands-free" law regarding cell phones. It does not address texting which is still legal (but stupid) while driving. (ETA: this might have changed recently, I know they were trying to amend the law, not sure if that happened or not yet.)

IMHO, if you are in the driver's seat and it's running, you're driving. We were t-boned by an unattentive driver who was waiting at a light, looked up and saw the light down the road beyond us had turned green, thought it was his and rammed right into us. I was in the front passenger seat, luckily I was facing my mom and didn't see him coming right at us, but the car was totaled. I agree being distracted by kids is just as dangerous as a cell phone while at a red light, but you can avoid the cell phone. If the call is that important, park in a parking lot, and if it is an incoming call, they can leave a message and you can pull over to check it and call back if necessary.

http://www.mercurynews.com/columns/ci_13208204

getting off the soap box now, I'm getting worked up about this.

cvanbrunt
08-26-2009, 07:50 PM
No it is not. "Addiction" is a real, actual, medical problem. In popular culture sometimes it is used in place of "compulsion" which is what I think texting is. But compulsions can be powerful too (I have a tinge of OCD, so I'd know).

No. It is the popular culture replacement for (physical) dependence. Of course it can be a medical problem. Dependence is defined by the appearance of physical withdrawal symptoms when the use of a substance is discontinued. Those symptoms are usually the opposite of the substance/effect. People become dependent (addicted in the popular press) on all kinds of drugs. My point is simply that just because someone repeatedly engages in a behavior that can cause them harm doesn't make them diagnosable. It means they are behaving "badly".

A compulsion, by the way, is a ritualistic behavior that is engaged in to relieve a specific anxiety-provoking thought. People text repeatedly because they want to. It isn't a mental illness.

I'll stop now. I'm on sabbatical this year.

wellyes
08-26-2009, 08:15 PM
No. It is the popular culture replacement for (physical) dependence. Of course it can be a medical problem. Dependence is defined by the appearance of physical withdrawal symptoms when the use of a substance is discontinued. Those symptoms are usually the opposite of the substance/effect. People become dependent (addicted in the popular press) on all kinds of drugs. My point is simply that just because someone repeatedly engages in a behavior that can cause them harm doesn't make them diagnosable. It means they are behaving "badly".

A compulsion, by the way, is a ritualistic behavior that is engaged in to relieve a specific anxiety-provoking thought. People text repeatedly because they want to. It isn't a mental illness.

I chafe at the term "popular culture". What other culture would possibly be relevant to the discussion? I also doubt that texting isn't somewhat compulsive. I don't text so I don't know. But I imagine that as a behavoir it's something closer to playing tetris (your fingers itch to do it even when you stop) than it is to, say, tying your shoe (a task you perform mindlessly, then forget about).

IMHO, if you are in the driver's seat and it's running, you're driving.

That's true, and I do think it's worthwhile for us all to be mindful when driving. And since texting isn't going away anytime, I also think it's a good idea to make texting while driving illegal with a harsh sentence since it is clearly dangerous.

Based on the evidence, I believe the fine for texting while driving should closer to what DUI drivers pay than to those caught with an expired registration or going 10 miles over the limit.

wellyes
08-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Just popping in to say I saw this article in the NY Times today - Utah is now treating texting drivers similarly to drunk drivers (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/29/technology/29distracted.html?partner=rss&emc=rss). Doesn't sound very enforceable, but I applaud the idea.