PDA

View Full Version : Need quick reply: forgot to put blue ice in with lunch....WWYD?

Kyras mom
08-25-2009, 12:07 PM
DD has a sandwich with mayo in her lunch, forgot to put blue ice pack in (new routine). Took sandwich out of fridge at 8:30 am, lunch is at 12:20. Will it be okay, or should I run back and put an ice pack in (or take new sandwich at lunchtime). WWYD?

Thanks for quick replies!

wellyes
08-25-2009, 12:12 PM
I wouldn't worry about it if the lunch is stored inside. Lots of people leave out lunches for that long. That's what we all did before ice packs. Probably nothing will happen, and worst case, she gets a little tummy ache. Mayo left in the sun for that length of time would be inedible though.

Piglet
08-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Honestly, I never put it in. My lunch as a kid NEVER had an ice pack. Neither did any other kid's as far as I can remember. We all lived to tell the tale. Mayo has a lot of preservatives in it (obviously if this was camp and it was going to be out in the sun all day that would change things).

kdeunc
08-25-2009, 12:42 PM
I vote with the no problem group. I just read that because mayo is acidic it is not hospitable for bacteria growth. It is the other items in food that are more prone to spoilage but mayo gets the bad rap! :)

Kyras mom
08-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the responses. Makes me feel better. We never had them in our lunches growing up, never had a problem.

I love being able to bounce things off everyone here :D.

Have a great day!

writermama
08-25-2009, 02:36 PM
It is the other items in food that are more prone to spoilage but mayo gets the bad rap! :)

I know with potato salads that people blame the mayo, but it's actually the potatoes (or the cutting board).

gobadgers
08-25-2009, 02:40 PM
I vote with the no problem group. I just read that because mayo is acidic it is not hospitable for bacteria growth. It is the other items in food that are more prone to spoilage but mayo gets the bad rap! :)

I think that real, homemade mayo - with raw eggs in it - does go bad quickly at room temperature. (My grandma told me that, I have never attempted homemade mayo!). But mayo from the store does last for a long time.