PDA

View Full Version : Short mamas, I need help with a crib!

TwoBees
08-25-2009, 01:14 PM
I am concerned about being able to get baby in and out of a stationary side crib. I am 5'. I have not had the chance to go to a store and SEE the cribs to try them out, but I am nervous anyway. Please tell me your solution! Also, what are your feelings on drop-side cribs in general and the drop-gate (hinged) cribs from Baby's Dream

slworld
08-25-2009, 01:35 PM
I am the same height as you and am happy with the IKEA crib. They are lower in height than most other cribs I saw. Of course they are very simple with no frills at all but they serve the purpose. I really didnt want a drop side crib so have no opinions on those. HTH.

maestramommy
08-25-2009, 02:11 PM
We have a drop side crib (sleigh model), but lately it's gotten worn out, so if we lower the side, a slight jiggle causes it to fall out of the groove. So it has effectively become a straight side crib. I am 5'2" and the only reason I can deal with this is because 1) you can adjust the mattress height, so it's pretty high when you have a new baby. 2) Currently Arwyn is sleeping in it, and she stands up so it's easy for me to lift her out. If I had to use it with the mattress on the lowest setting with a new baby, there's no way I could get her in or out, and I think my arms are pretty long!

What you could do is get sleigh model. The side facing you is slightly lower than the other 3 sides. Also, try to get something that will allow you to adjust the mattress height. Go to a BRU or baby store with a wide selection in cribs and try them out.

geochick
08-25-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm not short, but I'd place a step stool next to the crib. Step on it to get a little leverage. There were times when I could have used one when the mattress was on the lowest setting.

You'll need step stools later on when baby needs to wash hands and brush teeth, so get a nice one that will look good in your bathroom later on.

SnuggleBuggles
08-25-2009, 02:22 PM
We have a drop side crib (sleigh model), but lately it's gotten worn out, so if we lower the side, a slight jiggle causes it to fall out of the groove. So it has effectively become a straight side crib. I am 5'2" and the only reason I can deal with this is because 1) you can adjust the mattress height, so it's pretty high when you have a new baby. 2) Currently Arwyn is sleeping in it, and she stands up so it's easy for me to lift her out. If I had to use it with the mattress on the lowest setting with a new baby, there's no way I could get her in or out, and I think my arms are pretty long!

:yeahthat: Also 5'2" and I don't use my drop side crib as a drop side anymore (well, I never did b/c it jerked the crib just enough to wake a sleeping baby so I wasn't in the habit of using it).

Beth

elektra
08-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Ikea cribs are lower. I am actually tall and it makes it more difficult to hunch over to get DS out of his crib as compared to DD's Munire convertible crib. (It's still totally doable though, in case you are worried about your taller DH or something. My own DH is shorter than me so he doesn't have a problem with the Ikea crib!)

ciw
08-25-2009, 02:28 PM
I am not REMOTELY short, lol, but I have a Baby's Dream hinged crib and love, love, love it. None of the problems/recalls drop side cribs are notorious for since it's a hinged gate rather than a drop side. It's much sturdier than the drop side and IKEA cribs. BUT you still have easy access to the baby. It's really a smart design. (I'm not impressed by most of the drop side cribs I've seen. I think most of them are flimsy, prone to breaking and unsafe).

mytwosons
08-25-2009, 02:33 PM
IMO, the ability to raise the mattress to multiple heights is much more important than a drop side.

I'm about the same height. We had a drop side crib but didn't use it much for fear of waking the baby. We put the mattress on the highest setting and were fine for getting in and out. When we did have to finally put it at the lowest setting, it wasn't the best for laying down a sleeping child, but it wasn't bad. They were always awake when I took them out, so could stand and I'd just grab them under the arms.

vejemom
08-25-2009, 02:38 PM
I'm 5'2'' if I stand up REAALLY straight. We have a stationary side crib that is probably a little lower than most, and I've never had a problem. By the time you have to move the mattress to the lower settings, you'll be putting the baby down awake.

TwoBees
08-25-2009, 03:03 PM
I am not REMOTELY short, lol, but I have a Baby's Dream hinged crib and love, love, love it. None of the problems/recalls drop side cribs are notorious for since it's a hinged gate rather than a drop side. It's much sturdier than the drop side and IKEA cribs. BUT you still have easy access to the baby. It's really a smart design. (I'm not impressed by most of the drop side cribs I've seen. I think most of them are flimsy, prone to breaking and unsafe).

One of the Baby's Dream cribs I am looking at has this drop gate. I remember reading something in BB about a kid who used the ledge of the drop rail to climb out of the crib. Is this even possible with the Baby's Dream cribs?

arivecchi
08-25-2009, 03:25 PM
:yeahthat: I have one and love it!

TwoBees
08-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Does anyone have a height measurement on the FRONT rail of a Munire crib? The website lists the total height (ie, of the back rail), but not the front.

kristac
08-25-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm 5'4". We had a baby's dream drop gatecrib for DS1 and a dropside for DS2. The dropgate is definately easier. I never use the dropside because it jiggles the crib, etc. But the dropgate I used all the time. DS3 will be using the dropgate baby's dream for sure :)

betsyab
09-14-2009, 02:20 PM
I just got our Bonavita Metro Lifestyle crib. Love it, can actually reach over it. I didn't have luck with Muniere, all were too tall for me (I'm 4'9).

HIU8
09-14-2009, 02:28 PM
I am 5'2" and have a drop side crib from sorelle. It has never been an issue for me to lift DD or DS out of the crib. FWIW, I removed the cribs casters immediately and it lowered the crib a good 1.5 inches right off the bat. Add to that a newborn sleeps on the highest setting and bending over was not a huge issue at all.

maydaymommy
09-14-2009, 02:55 PM
I like to say I'm 5'4"

We use a Stokke crib. Not everyone's style, or pricepoint, but I'm really happy with it. It is low, and has a very small footprint as well. Stationary sides, but I think you would be able to reach into it.

truly scrumptious
09-14-2009, 04:21 PM
I am exactly 5', too and we have a stationary side Southampton crib from Basset baby. The mattress height is adjustable which made it easy to reach DS when he was little (and to incline the mattress for his reflux!) Now he usually sits up or stands in the crib (and the mattress is at the lowest setting) but I still have no problem reaching in when he's lying down.
I don't think the drop side/gate is necessary.