PDA

View Full Version : How to pack yogurt in school lunch - need a container

niccig
08-25-2009, 02:39 PM
DS loves a plain Greek yogurt that I get at TJs. I will want to send some to school, but I'm trying to find a small container that I can put some in and then make sure it's right beside the icepack, so it stays cold. He doesn't eat an entire small container of yogurt, and the kind I buy only comes in a big tub. So a need a small leakproof container. Any suggestions??

Thanks.

vludmilla
08-25-2009, 02:49 PM
My set of Pyrex comes with a very small (1/4 c ?) container that works very well for me but I understand if you don't want glass. If plastic is okay, I would think there are Rubbermaid types of containers. They don't leak if they are closed properly. You could also put the container in a ziploc bag that you reuse just in case it leaked it wouldn't get all over the rest of the lunch.

gobadgers
08-25-2009, 02:56 PM
I don't know how you feel about plastic - but I have some small Glad containers that are just from Target or the grocery store. I use them for salad dressings and they seal nicely - I haven't had one leak yet. I think they are about the size of a little applesauce container.

ETA: we love the TJ's greek yogurt too :waving4:

Snow mom
08-25-2009, 03:00 PM
My set of Pyrex comes with a very small (1/4 c ?) container that works very well for me but I understand if you don't want glass. If plastic is okay, I would think there are Rubbermaid types of containers. They don't leak if they are closed properly. You could also put the container in a ziploc bag that you reuse just in case it leaked it wouldn't get all over the rest of the lunch.

Really? With a lid? The smallest Pyrex I have been able to find with a lid was 6 oz. They make custard bowls that I believe are 4 oz. but I can't find a lid to fit.

Piglet
08-25-2009, 03:06 PM
I take greek style yogurt every day to work in a Glad/Ziploc box. It has never leaked. It is also nice that if it ever gets lost you won't care (or if it goes yucky from being left in the backpack/car/class too long you can toss it).

Andi98989
08-25-2009, 03:11 PM
I have a set of Rubbermaid Stain Shield containers and some Tupperware ones that I use all the time for taking yogurt to work. I've never had a problem with them leaking.

http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/ecommerce/product.jhtml?prodId=HpdProd230005&catId=HpdCat230001

http://order.tupperware.com/coe/app/tup_show_item.show_item_detail?fv_item_category_co de=21000&fv_item_number=P10055073000

Another option would the Ziploc twist n lock containers. If you want glass, Pampered Chef has a set of little prep bowls with lids; they have a 1 cup capacity if you fill them all the way to the top.

egoldber
08-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Yup, the Gladware/Ziplock "disposable" containers are a staple here.

boolady
08-25-2009, 03:38 PM
I still use the Take and Toss containers for DD's yogurt every day. I don't know if technically it's leakproof, but I've never had it leak on the way to school or when I've taken them other places. The description says that they're leakproof. Otherwise, I'd use the gladware type containers. DH and I take our lunches in them every day.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2792470

niccig
08-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll be looking at the take and toss. About the size of an apple sauce container would be just right. My pyrex bowls are too big, and I think I should stick to plastic until DS he's older.

Thanks.

SnuggleBuggles
08-25-2009, 04:55 PM
I use the Gladware mini containers. Love those things. They hold more than you would expect.

Beth

alien_host
08-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Check Target for the Take n Toss. I got a set of 4 or 6 bowls and lids for $2 recently.

daniele_ut
08-25-2009, 08:44 PM
I still use the Take and Toss containers for DD's yogurt every day. I don't know if technically it's leakproof, but I've never had it leak on the way to school or when I've taken them other places. The description says that they're leakproof. Otherwise, I'd use the gladware type containers. DH and I take our lunches in them every day.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2792470

We use Take N Toss containers as well.

bubbaray
08-25-2009, 11:01 PM
I use the smallest Glad disposable ones for yogurt. Or is it the Ziploc ones? Can't remember, but I'm pretty sure that both brands make mini sizes.