PDA

View Full Version : Community school supplies? I'm confused

infomama
08-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Dd1's 1st day of K is tomorrow and I was under the assumption that the school supplies I bought Dd1 were for her use and her use only. Well, today we met her teacher and I asked if I should label all her supplies. She said it wasn't really necessary to do that. Then I mentioned that I bought the really large glue sticks (8 at $1.75 each) as the school supply list said 'large size' and she said, "good those are the best but don't bother labeling those kinds of things because the eventually someone will say..hey that's my glue stick".
OK...I thought that *was* her glue stick. Do (most) all school supplies eventually become communal?

Piglet
08-25-2009, 03:48 PM
We have 2 categories - communal and personal. Glue sticks are communal, as are markers, kleenex, etc. Personal supplies are the binders, notebooks, etc. The school usually asks for specific brands on the communal supplies so that there is no distinction made by the kids on what is "theirs".

Moneypenny
08-25-2009, 03:53 PM
At DD's school, all supplies are communal except headphones, scissors and pencil box. Everything else is shared.

alexsmommy
08-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Few personal (notebooks etc) the rest are communal. Glue sticks, markers, pencils, crayons, tissues etc communal. We are told not to label anything and the teacher tells them what to pull from their supplies and label during the first week.

JBaxter
08-25-2009, 04:00 PM
I labled everything including his glue sticks & pencils. I love my little labler :)

JamiMac
08-25-2009, 04:33 PM
At our school the plastic pencil box, colored pencils and regular pencils are the child's, everything else went into community stacks.

bnme
08-25-2009, 04:40 PM
For K everything is shared. We bring it in on orientation day, 2 weeks before school starts. It gets dumped in big boxes. The kids work in teams and sit at grouped desks. Each team has color coded baskets that hold pencils, crayons, glue sticks, etc. The baskets are stored on a shelf in the classroom and they bring them to the table when needed. The teacher refills them as supplies get used.

It seemed annoying at first but it is easier than having the kid be responsible for all their stuff and to have to carry it back and forth. Only kids with allergies may have their own stuff.

My oldest is now going into first and according to the list the only shared supplies are crayons and markers.

JElaineB
08-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Almost all of our school supplies are communal. Only thing I labeled this year was his pencil box. I did stick a good pair of Fiskars scissors in his pencil box, and left an extra pair for the communal supply. ;)

SnuggleBuggles
08-25-2009, 04:53 PM
We have 2 categories - communal and personal. Glue sticks are communal, as are markers, kleenex, etc. Personal supplies are the binders, notebooks, etc. The school usually asks for specific brands on the communal supplies so that there is no distinction made by the kids on what is "theirs".
:yeahthat: Yep, that's pretty much the breakdown here too.

Beth

egoldber
08-25-2009, 05:00 PM

:yeahthat:

s7714
08-25-2009, 05:48 PM
So far all the supplies for DD's Kindergarten and 1st grade have been 100% communal. It really doesn't bother me, because I totally see how it's easier to not have kids fighting over such things (also easier to make it so those kids who can't afford stuff aren't pin pointed). However the one thing I hate about them sharing stuff is the germ factor! So every time little Timmy wipes his snotty nose with his hand, uses the glue stick and then passes the glue he's passing stuff with it. :(

egoldber
08-25-2009, 06:41 PM
every time little Timmy wipes his snotty nose with his hand, uses the glue stick and then passes the glue he's passing stuff with it.

I think this varies a bit. At our school, the glue sticks go into a common bin, but each kid gets one assigned to them that goes into their personal pencil box.

jk3
08-25-2009, 07:28 PM
I think school is the place to reinforce that children share. With the exception of folders and other individual items, communal supplies make sense for a slew of reasons.

daniele_ut
08-25-2009, 07:40 PM
I think this varies a bit. At our school, the glue sticks go into a common bin, but each kid gets one assigned to them that goes into their personal pencil box.

This is the way it is in DS's Pre-K class as well.

kdeunc
08-25-2009, 08:21 PM
So far for K and 1st all of the supplies that they request are communal. DS has a "personal" pencil box but that is it.

pb&j
08-25-2009, 08:41 PM
So every time little Timmy wipes his snotty nose with his hand, uses the glue stick and then passes the glue he's passing stuff with it. :(

Yes, because otherwise, kindergartners would not share germs at all.

lmwbasye
08-25-2009, 10:14 PM
I've always had the supplies be communal in my classroom (minus scissors) for several reasons. You know that everyone always has all the supplies they need, there is not so much fighting over things, and it is a great time to work on that lovely social skill of sharing.

And germs are shared in kindergarten...everything is. It's a fact of life. I just have my kiddos use sanitizer and wash their hands as much as possible.

bubbaray
08-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Supplies at our K are 100% communal. The parents pay $20 to the teacher and she buys all the supplies. As far as I'm concerned, this is freakin' brilliant.

JustMe
08-25-2009, 11:23 PM
Dd is going into 1st grade this year. So far for K and 1st, everything is communal. I am fine with this b/c I think it makes sense.

ett
08-26-2009, 01:37 AM
Dd is going into 1st grade this year. So far for K and 1st, everything is communal. I am fine with this b/c I think it makes sense.

Same here. DS1 is entering first grade and everything in K and 1st is communal.(except for his art smock this year.) It really just seems easier that way.