PDA

View Full Version : S/O Poll --> Cellphones While Driving

Fairy
08-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Do you talk on your cellphone while driving? That is, in the drivers seat? Do you text? Anything else? Voting won't out you, so if ya care to participate, go ahead and be honest. I've already outed myself in the other thread, and boy do I wish I'd kept my mouth shut. Here's a more anonymous way for you to let it out.

katydid1971
08-25-2009, 03:54 PM
I don't text ever (in car out of the car, any time) I talk on the phone but only with a head set.

Moneypenny
08-25-2009, 03:54 PM
I don't talk or text while driving. If I need to make or take a call, I pull over (preferably in a coffee shop parking lot and then, since I'm so close, I may as well run inside for a decaf iced mocha...)

KrisM
08-25-2009, 03:57 PM
I very rarely talk on the phone, but I use a bluetooth earpiece, so 2 hands on the wheel. And, I was very amazed at the difference between talking on the phone and on the earpiece. The earpiece is very similar to talking to a passenger in the car. Still, I do try to avoid it if I can.

elliput
08-25-2009, 03:58 PM
I don't text, so that is really easy. I will on the rare occasion answer my cell when I am driving and cut the call short.

Laurel
08-25-2009, 04:39 PM
I can't trust myself to talk and drive at the same time- I am just not coordinated enough. The few times I have done it, I know my driving has suffered. Texting- never, ever in the car. There is no call or message worth risking a wreck over.

BillK
08-25-2009, 04:40 PM
How about an option for "I talk - but use a handsfree headset/bluetooth GPS handsfree"?

AnnieW625
08-25-2009, 04:41 PM
It's technically illegal in California and you can be cited for it but I have done it and a couple of times hung up my phone because I have seen a cop coming and then the cop was talking on the phone too. I only do it in emergencies (like running late to daycare) and or on my commute when there is no traffic, but I do really try to limit the usage.

TwinFoxes
08-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Multiple studies have shown that handsfree makes pretty much zero difference safety-wise. One of my BFFs is a researchers & one of her fields is car safety. She refuses to talk to people if they're driving & on a cell, handsfree or not.

ETA: I'm not judging (how do you think I learned her policy ;) ) but I just want people to know they may have a false sense of security when using their handsfree device.

Fairy
08-25-2009, 04:54 PM
How about an option for "I talk - but use a handsfree headset/bluetooth GPS handsfree"?

I thoguht about that after I published, and I still haven't figured out how to edit the poll portion. If anyone knows how, lemme know.

Nooknookmom
08-25-2009, 05:27 PM
I almost got hit head-on by a 20something girl, who was gabbing away on her cell yesterday. She never even saw or heard me, despite my honking and the car next to me doing the same. I had both DD's in the car w/ me.

I voted talk but never text (while moving) - I'm also in California and there have been a few times that I forget and grab the phone b4 I can speaker it and I pull over if whoever is on the other end is having a yakk-attack. I also agree that it is a mental distraction, whether you are on a hands-free device or holding the phone. I can steer w/ one knee but if the subject matter is emotional, my mind will be taken elsewhere regardless of if I am holding my phone or have a bluetooth in my ear.

I personally do NOT like when people have major conversations, text and or bake cookies while driving!!!

*Screaming children can have the same effect on ones mind as the cell - ever forget which way you are going when DC is melting down in the backseat??? I know I do!!! I can't quite figure out how to make that situation better :)

wellyes
08-25-2009, 05:29 PM
I talk on my cell occasionally. I try to keep it brief and never answer the phone at high speeds. It's not illegal here. If it were illegal, I'd stop.

I've seen it argued that doing anything while driving is equally hazardous: playing with the radio, talking to passengers, smoking, texting, etc. I really do not believe that to be true. I used to smoke and it's very very passive. Does not impact noticably driving. Cell phones, however, are very distracting. It is generally not a good idea to talk on cell phone while driving, I know this, but I'll admit to doing it once in a while - as well as also occassionally eating lunch while driving and arguing with my passanger, which are equally distracting IMO.

ThreeofUs
08-25-2009, 05:30 PM
I try not to talk on the phone while driving. I prefer to use handsfree, which is now just the speaker on my iPhone.

saschalicks
08-25-2009, 05:31 PM
:yeahthat:

ETA: I didn't answer it b/c I ONLY use a headset when talking and I'm guilty of texting but only when the car is not in motion. I will say though that after the other post my texting days are now officially over.

ilfaith
08-25-2009, 05:52 PM
I do talk occasionally, but I have Bluetooth installed. Generally I don't make calls for the sake of gabbing, but will phone someone if I have a specific question and will answer the phone if someone calls me.

I almost never text anywhere, and certainly not while driving.

I have been known to put on a little lipstick at a red light.

Generally I find my screaming children to be a much greater distraction than a phone conversation.

mommyp
08-25-2009, 07:05 PM
I never answer the phone if it rings while I'm driving, and I don't initiate calls either. I wait until I'm at my destination or can park somewhere for a few minutes. It is illegal here, but I can't tell you how many people I still see on their phone, usually oblivious to the traffic around them! I once saw someone knitting while driving....

fauve01
08-25-2009, 07:23 PM
I do not touch my phone while driving. that's what voice mail is for!!

DH uses his headset while driving, but he knows I'm not happy talks while driving. and he does not do it when DD is in the car with him.

A + dd 10-03