PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything you WON'T change to go green?

TwinFoxes
08-25-2009, 05:58 PM
I've been meaning to ask for awhile, and the post about deodorants reminded me. Are there any products you just won't use the greener alternative. For me it's deodorant. The green alternatives do not work for me..if you know what I mean :innocent: I've used many different types, and I'm sticking with Secret. I'm sure the green alternatives work for others. Pretty much anything else I'll at least consider the greener alternative.

So what about you? Is there anything where the green alternative just doesn't cut it for you?

elektra
08-25-2009, 06:02 PM
I need my paper towels. I use my homemade Merlin's Magic, but I gotta use a paper towel to wipe messes up for the most part.
SIL uses only washclothes for just about everything. She also hangs most of her laundry out to dry instead of using the dryer.
I just know I would never be able to deal with that.

JBaxter
08-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Dawn dish soap. That stuff works wonders on so many things

fivi2
08-25-2009, 06:10 PM
paper towels, ziploc gallon freezer bags... I am sure there are more!

AnnieW625
08-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Dawn dish soap
Cascade liquid dishwasher soap
plastic bags for storage (although I do have a fair amount of re-usable Tupperware)
paper towels
Cheer laundry detergent (tried 7th G, and Arm & Hammer Natural and they just didn't work as well)
Pledge
Reynolds Crockpot bags
OFF! Deet bug spray if I am in NorCal or anywhere where bugs are known to be King. (I am taking my Cal. Baby deet free spray with me next week to see how it does, but I am not going to be 100% convinced unless I come home with zero bug bites; which isn't likely)

giavila
08-25-2009, 06:33 PM
I have to agree with
paper towels (although I have gotten better)
freezer bags

I posted about the deodorant.. Haven't tried a natural one yet, but I'm willing to try anything once! If it doesn't work, I'm going back to the conventional stuff!

egoldber
08-25-2009, 06:35 PM
My limits are cloth menstrual pads and toilet paper. :)

soontobe
08-25-2009, 07:51 PM

there is a green alternative to those?!?!?!

SnuggleBuggles
08-25-2009, 07:58 PM
I love paper towels. I am going to ask my neighbor if I can ad them to his composter though. Maybe that would ease some of my guilt.

I would love to find a great natural deodorant. I have not found any that can stand up to a 95 degree summer day though.

I'm game for a lot of other things though. While I haven't taken to buying reusable menstrual pads I have been buying the panty liner options at Whole Foods that don't have nearly as many nasty chemicals.

Beth

TwinFoxes
08-25-2009, 07:59 PM

Well, there's the Diva Cup, which I started using and then got pregnant. I'm not sure about alternatives to TP though! I'll add that to my list, I'm not giving up TP!

kayte
08-25-2009, 08:04 PM

I am soooo with you on the toilet paper.

And I used to be pretty anti mama cloth too... but I am coming around. I had friends come over for a sewing party and we made reusable menstrual pads for a charity that distributes them to girls in villages who would otherwise miss school during their time of the month. After the initial giggling stage at the our sewing party and then actually sewing them, seeing how they would work, I have come around. It is easy for me to say, since I currently don't have a period, because of my drug treatment for endo. But should I have a period anytime soon, I think I might give it a go.

vludmilla
08-25-2009, 08:14 PM

Um, there are mama cloths (cloth menstrual pads) but I have no idea about toilet paper---what's that about?

vludmilla
08-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Well, there's the Diva Cup, which I started using and then got pregnant. I'm not sure about alternatives to TP though! I'll add that to my list, I'm not giving up TP!

I love my diva cup! It took about two months to get used to but now I love it.

I haven't been able to give up conventional deoderant, unfortunately.

kayte
08-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Um, there are mama cloths (cloth menstrual pads) but I have no idea about toilet paper---what's that about?

There are lots but here's one I have heard about a few times...

http://living.wallypop.net/wipes.html

vludmilla
08-25-2009, 08:28 PM

Eek, ok. Well, that's my limit then.

kijip
08-25-2009, 08:40 PM

I will fess up to using a version of these (cut up cotton jersey sheets mostly), though unlike cloth diapers it is not something I advertise and not something that I do because it is greener, strictly speaking. I spent 25 years on this earth with reactions to paper products in not fun spots to have rashes etc. Now that I use cloth wipes, no issues. Also, I find paper really ineffective/inefficient especially for kids bottoms. T hates when he has to use toilet paper, he is so used to the cloth wipes and my husband prefers it too.

Like the link, we have a lidded can in each bathroom (labelled NOT TRASH) and a container of cloth wipes on the back of the toilet. We have toilet paper in the downstairs bathroom for others to use. We wash these seperate from everything else on a hot-hot sanitary cycle. No stink issues, visitors don't know what it is. I think most assume that I have a bin in the bathroom for cleaning cloths or something. I find it way more comfortable and sanitary than paper. I do have exceptionally sensitive skin with a history of rashes from things like sanitary napkins and regular laundry detergent. Honestly, most personal hygiene "green" choices I make (perfume/harsh chemical free soaps and lotion etc) are more a factor of physical comfort than a desire to save the planet.

Because we do this (and have for over 2 years now) we fall faaaaaaaarrrrrr out in greenie land to most. But it's just our normal now.

kayte
08-25-2009, 08:53 PM
I will fess up to using a version of these (cut up cotton jersey sheets mostly),...

I am going to do this soon-- also from cotton jersey from tshirts and some I got on sale at JoAnn's...

http://www.funinthemaking.net/2009/03/31/soon-no-sew-t-shirt-tissues-and-hankie-hamper/

I always had a hankie as a child but now I am a little grossed out by the reuse factor. But single use, wash and use again I can go for...

wellyes
08-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Among many of the others listed.... Heinz ketchup. HFCS and all. Can't live without it (don't want to!)

ourbabygirl
08-25-2009, 08:59 PM
O.k., so those of you who do cloth-everything (diapers, napkins, towels instead of paper towels, menstrual pads, toilet paper): How DO you keep up with the laundry of all of that plus the clothing & towels of yourself, DH, and DC? I was going crazy enough with just cloth diapers & napkins! And to do even more loads, trek outside, hang everything up, pull it back down later, cart it back inside & fold it... I don't know! ;)

kijip
08-25-2009, 09:14 PM
O.k., so those of you who do cloth-everything (diapers, napkins, towels instead of paper towels, menstrual pads, toilet paper): How DO you keep up with the laundry of all of that plus the clothing & towels of yourself, DH, and DC? I was going crazy enough with just cloth diapers & napkins! And to do even more loads, trek outside, hang everything up, pull it back down later, cart it back inside & fold it... I don't know! ;)

We just got used to it. When the kitchen cloth bin is full, it is time to wash etc. It helps that we have no-fold, well separated systems set up. Everything has it's own spot, in logical places, for clean cloths and dirty cloths.

edurnemk
08-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Toilet paper (we use 7th Gen, but that's as far as I'll go)
Deodorant, not many work well for me
Paper towels (we use 7th Gen.), although I try to use washcloths, I still keep the paper towels around for some messes.
Ziploc bags (I freeze a lot of food and I don't have enough tupperware, and also these take up less room in the freezer). I try to reuse them, though.
Dryer, I hardly ever line dry anything.
Clothes and shoes, even if I tried to buy more organic cotton and stuff, I could never completely give up shopping at Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, etc.

maestramommy
08-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Regular dish soap
Cascade dishwasher soap
regular shampoo for me and Dh
That splash of bleach in my Merlin's Magic
paper towels and napkins. I just can't handle any more laundry right now!
I'm sure there's more.
Ziploc bags and plastic containers. We get them from various places, and don't want to throw them out.

jgenie
08-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Dawn dish soap. That stuff works wonders on so many things

:yeahthat: I also REALLY like my L'Occitane foot lotion.

Raidra
08-25-2009, 09:30 PM
There are a lot of things that I would use if I had more cash. Some of the greener alternatives are just too much money for me to justify right now. I feel good about the inexpensive changes we've made, and hope that we can do more when money allows.

The one thing that I will never give up is Clorox wipes for the bathroom. Bathrooms just totally ick me out, and bleach is a must for me to feel like the bathroom's clean.

Oh, and toilet paper. I tried using family cloth once (for pee only) and it wasn't horrible, but it was way too much work. Well, I guess maybe I'd try it in the future if our laundry set-up was better, but I hated keeping a (airtight) container of soiled cloths in my bathroom. No smell or anything, but the thought of it was just kind of gross.

infomama
08-25-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm not sure about alternatives to TP though! I'll add that to my list, I'm not giving up TP!
I think these are around $700....
http://www.totousa.com/Default.aspx?tabid=101

purpleeyes
08-25-2009, 10:16 PM
For cleaning:
Clorox toilet cleaner
Arm and Hammer Laundry Detergent
Paper Towels
Windex Wipes

Personal Care
ROC cream
Clinique Products
Aveda shampoo
(This list could go on and on!)
Tampax Products! ;)

wellyes
08-25-2009, 10:16 PM
OK, I'm intrigued by the Dawn love. Do you use the original or the concentrated? Please explain!

I've heard something about stripping to cloth diapers with original Dawn but I never really understood how adding soap would get RID of soap (I do CD).

AnnieW625
08-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Didn't even think about toilet paper thing, he he. Yeah I may not ever give up tampons either or paper maxi pads. I also love Heinz, and have come close to finding a HFCS alternative in Trader Joe's brand. I also really like Hunts.

TwinFoxes
08-25-2009, 10:49 PM

That looks kind of...pleasant actually. Not $700 pleasant, but nice all the same. Like those peri bottles they give you in the hospital, I liked those. (ok, I should have put a TMI warning here).

ETA: I realize now after reading the responses there are a lot of things I'd prefer not to give up...paper towels I hadn't even thought about.

niccig
08-25-2009, 10:59 PM
I know the thought of no TP is bad, but you can get used to it. I lived in Nepal for 4 months, 2 of those working at an orphanage. TP would block up the pipes. So, when in Rome, do what the Romans do. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I just read an article about the millions and millions of trees cut down for TP. The article was advocating the use of the bidet and that the Japanese version made by Toto was going to be available here. I used that in Japan, and I could see myself buying it. The toilet set plugs into the outlet. You have different settings for direction of water, do you want to be blown dry, and the toilet seat can be heated. The air and heat wouldn't be great for the Green cause, but I could see a little bit of water sprayed would save some trees.

ETA. I should add that my first time using the Toto I had difficult reading the Japanese on the buttons, and I started to panic a little, as I couldnt find the stop button. But a version here will be in English, so I won't worry about flooding the bathroom.

american_mama
08-25-2009, 11:34 PM
I am not green much at all, but I do have a challenge. I just finished ordering my first pair of soft contact lenses, which all seem to be disposable now. I haven't even seen them yet, but I am assuming there is some not inconsiderable waste - boxes, packaging for the lenses, outer packaging the shipment comes in, fuel costs for delivery. Any green people willing to give up soft disposable lenses for glasses or oxygen permeable lenses (which usually last years)?

The stuff I haven't given up would go on and on, since I've given up hardly anything except disposable diapers (a big thing, IMO). But one thing that preys on my conscience is liquid soap dispensers. I like liquid soap, but man, all that plastic, be it in the dispenser or the container for the bulk refills. Think of all the years before where I just handled wet, slimy bars of soap, which melted away into nothing when they were done. Much greener, I think.

brittone2
08-25-2009, 11:40 PM
I am not green much at all, but I do have a challenge. I just finished ordering my first pair of soft contact lenses, which all seem to be disposable now. I haven't even seen them yet, but I am assuming there is some not inconsiderable waste - boxes, packaging for the lenses, outer packaging the shipment comes in, fuel costs for delivery. Any green people willing to give up soft disposable lenses for glasses or oxygen permeable lenses (which usually last years)?

The stuff I haven't given up would go on and on, since I've given up hardly anything except disposable diapers (a big thing, IMO). But one thing that preys on my conscience is liquid soap dispensers. I like liquid soap, but man, all that plastic, be it in the dispenser or the container for the bulk refills. Think of all the years before where I just handled wet, slimy bars of soap, which melted away into nothing when they were done. Much greener, I think.

Okay, there's one for me. I'm not giving up on soft contacts LOL.

I don't use cloth TP, but it doesn't ick me out for pee. We wash wipes for DD (and DS age 5.5 prefers cloth wipes for himself sometimes) anyway so it wouldn't really bother me that much for #1. And recycled TP can have BPA so that's annoying.

For liquid soap what about switching to doc bronner's or similar concentrated soap and diluting in a foaming soap dispenser that can be reused/refilled?

strollerqueen
08-25-2009, 11:47 PM

Yeah, I've lived in countries where toilet paper wasn't readily available most places. They do other things, but, I wimped out and carried TP with me everywhere!:innocent:

strollerqueen
08-25-2009, 11:52 PM
I know the thought of no TP is bad, but you can get used to it. I lived in Nepal for 4 months, 2 of those working at an orphanage. TP would block up the pipes. So, when in Rome, do what the Romans do. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I just read an article about the millions and millions of trees cut down for TP. The article was advocating the use of the bidet and that the Japanese version made by Toto was going to be available here. I used that in Japan, and I could see myself buying it. The toilet set plugs into the outlet. You have different settings for direction of water, do you want to be blown dry, and the toilet seat can be heated. The air and heat wouldn't be great for the Green cause, but I could see a little bit of water sprayed would save some trees.

ETA. I should add that my first time using the Toto I had difficult reading the Japanese on the buttons, and I started to panic a little, as I couldnt find the stop button. But a version here will be in English, so I won't worry about flooding the bathroom.

Oh, my toilet seat does that! So they sell something like that here already. It's great.:bighand:

bubbaray
08-26-2009, 12:20 AM
antiperspirant -- I tried "green" alternatives and ended up with a yeast infection under my arms. I am SOOOOO not going there ever again.

TP & paper towel.

tampons and disposable pads. Again, I tried the Diva cup and it ended up somehow "hurting" me. I had the most G-awful cramps for at least 3 cycles after, it was completely horrible. Its too bad as I was starting to figure it out.

My minivan. Granted, its greener than most (has the engine than goes from 6 to 3 cylinders), but yeah, its a big bus. My coworkers give me the gears about it all the time.

Living in the suburbs. Again, my coworkers give me heck about this. However, many of them live as far away from our office as I do -- in terms of time. They drive through the city, stopping at lights every block, etc, while my commute is highway driving mostly. So, I figure that I actually contribute less CO than they do in their fancy schmancy cars.

We've been reasonably green for a very long time now, so I don't feel too bad about these things.

kijip
08-26-2009, 12:28 AM
As for the things I don't plan on giving up-

Various hair goops
Shampoo and conditioner in a plastic bottle
Using a blow dryer on my hair
Buying clothes from mainstream stores when used is not an option (mostly my husband's and my work clothes and most all of our shoes).
Clothes dryer for diapers, sheets, jeans, all the reusable cloths round here and just using the dryer when we are in a hurry on everything.
Portable window A/c for super hot days.

vludmilla
08-26-2009, 09:39 AM
I don't use cloth TP, but it doesn't ick me out for pee. We wash wipes for DD (and DS age 5.5 prefers cloth wipes for himself sometimes) anyway so it wouldn't really bother me that much for #1. And recycled TP can have BPA so that's annoying.

Ok, I hadn't thought it through but I would be ok with cloth wipes for pee but I could NOT handle it for BM's for all household members. I actually used cloth wipes for DD a lot and it didn't bother me but I don't want to be handling mine and DH's mingled icky BM wipes. Ick. But I would be fine with using them for pee. Maybe someday I'll do that.

kayte
08-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Ok, I hadn't thought it through but I would be ok with cloth wipes for pee but I could NOT handle it for BM's for all household members. I actually used cloth wipes for DD a lot and it didn't bother me but I don't want to be handling mine and DH's mingled icky BM wipes. Ick. But I would be fine with using them for pee. Maybe someday I'll do that.

I just had the same epiphany. Perhaps I could pee for DD and I. Maybe we'll try it when I make the tissues.

How do you wash them --if you don't have CDs to fill the rest of the load? How often do you wash them?

maylips
08-26-2009, 10:06 AM

I want one of those, especially with a child not good at wiping!

mommylamb
08-26-2009, 10:27 AM
I think I'm less committed than many of you. I do reusable grocery bags and some of the other basics, but we still use paper towels and certainly toilet paper, and lots of other things that I'm sure are not the best. I tried the environmentally friendly dish washer powdered soap and it was TERRIBLE. it clumped all over the place, didn't clean the dishes, and was hard to get out of box itself... never again.

Honestly, if I really had the push to do something, I'd go veggetarian. all the land that is used for the cows and other livestock that I eat is probably worse than the paper towels that I use.

infomama
08-26-2009, 11:07 AM
If I had $2800.00 bucks burning a hole in my pocket, these would be on every toilet in my house.

Happy 2B mommy
08-26-2009, 11:30 AM
TP, pads/tampons
Casade (sorry, nothing else works)
Paper towels - we don't use them a lot, maybe 4 rolls a year.
Occasional bleach use
Diet coke in the plastic bottles (DH)
Juice boxes
DH shower gel and shampoo

edurnemk
08-26-2009, 01:38 PM
And recycled TP can have BPA so that's annoying.

REALLYYYYY???!!! Oh, man, and I thought I could feel less guilty about using 7th Gen and other brands of TP made of recycled paper.

marie
08-26-2009, 02:39 PM
I also love Heinz, and have come close to finding a HFCS alternative in Trader Joe's brand. I also really like Hunts.

have you tried organic Heinz? i can't tell the difference between it and the regular and it is HFCS-free. (It says "organic sugar" on the ingredient list.)

IRT the toto bidet seat - i MUST have one someday. In fact, i had the electrician put in an outlet near the master bath toilet for one. (try explaining THAT to the contractors!) sigh. . .someday. . .

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07

AnnieW625
08-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks, no I haven't. I'll have to look for it next time I am at the store and need ketchup.

brittone2
08-26-2009, 03:36 PM
REALLYYYYY???!!! Oh, man, and I thought I could feel less guilty about using 7th Gen and other brands of TP made of recycled paper.

Yeah, sadly it does. I think certain types of receipt inks have BPA and then the receipts get recycled into the T.P.

http://www.zrecommends.com/detail/some-unpleasant-sources-of-bpa/

whether it is a real risk...I don't know.

pastrygirl
08-26-2009, 04:36 PM
O.k., so those of you who do cloth-everything (diapers, napkins, towels instead of paper towels, menstrual pads, toilet paper): How DO you keep up with the laundry of all of that plus the clothing & towels of yourself, DH, and DC? I was going crazy enough with just cloth diapers & napkins! And to do even more loads, trek outside, hang everything up, pull it back down later, cart it back inside & fold it... I don't know! ;)Napkins, cloth wipes instead of paper towels -- go in with my husband's whites, which have always been a separate load. No extra work there. Pads go in with my normal laundry, no extra work there.

I don't cloth diaper; my husband refuses to be a part of it, and I can't do it without his support. (I tried and had to sell everything when he wouldn't change a single diaper.)

But, my laundry is in my bedroom suite, so it's very easy to do laundry even at night. I don't have to cart anything around. I keep a small bin by the stairs for our kitchen cloths/towels, and take it upstairs on laundry day.

catsnkid
08-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Diapers. Too much work though I thought about it.

american_mama
08-26-2009, 10:00 PM
More challenges here.... who won't give up their...

gas lawn mover? Other gas lawn tools? You could get electric or, even better, a push reel mower.

air conditioner, even if it's a climate that doesn't really demand it?

washing laundry on warm or hot? (For those who have switched to all cold and a cold water detergent, how has it gone)?

dishwasher? heat dry on dishwasher? I assume handwashing uses less water and obviously no electricity.

driving to work or errands that you could get to pretty easily in another way (bike, walk, public transportation)? I think back to a job I had years ago that I always drove to, even though it was embarassingly close to my apartment. I am ashamed I never walked.

Many people on these boards do amazing green things and I have learned a lot from you. I mention these things because I think there are a lot of recurring, commonplace but sizable things that we could change and which probably has a bigger impact than Dawn dish detergent, but they definitely come with an understandable downside.

TwinFoxes
08-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Diapers. Too much work though I thought about it.

Have you tried looking into a diaper service? That's what we did in LA. They came and picked up our diapers, and left a clean bunch. I loved it. We never ran out of diapers. It was no more work than disposable diapers.

SnuggleBuggles
08-26-2009, 10:03 PM
I also adored my diaper service with ds1. Not the most environmentally friendly option b/c of what they wash with and all the driving around. But, I sure loved it.

Beth

pastrygirl
08-26-2009, 10:18 PM
I want that Toto toilet!!!! I have to use wet wipes for myself but hate doing it. Getting one of those toilets would be cheaper than a new septic system that we might need in a couple of years if I keep using the wipes...

TwinFoxes
08-26-2009, 10:44 PM
I also adored my diaper service with ds1. Not the most environmentally friendly option b/c of what they wash with and all the driving around. But, I sure loved it.

Beth

Our service used trucks that ran on natural gas...much more environmentally friendly than regular gas. :)

edurnemk
08-26-2009, 10:46 PM

washing laundry on warm or hot? (For those who have switched to all cold and a cold water detergent, how has it gone)?

dishwasher? heat dry on dishwasher? I assume handwashing uses less water and obviously no electricity.

- I never used the AC until I moved to Houston this summer... OMG! It was 105F in July! I keep it at 79-80F, and turn the ceiling fans on to make the cooling more efficcient. But in this climate I could not survive the summer without AC. Of course before this I lived 2 years in Chicago, and there we could NOT survive without heating from Oct-April.

- I have always used Cold-Cold for laundry with great results, I just pre-treat or pre-wash any stained clothes. We use Planet detergent. The only exception is cloth diapers, which of course get washed on hot.

- I read somewhere that dishwashers are more efficient and waste less water than hand-washing. As long as you don't pre-rinse everything extensively. And I have no problem not using the heated dry, since we run it at night and the dished have plenty of time to dry on their own.

Katia
08-26-2009, 11:47 PM

gas lawn mover? Other gas lawn tools? You could get electric or, even better, a push reel mower.

I love our rechargeable electric lawn mower! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. We bought ours after we tried the push reel mower and quickly gave up. I'd rather give up the lawn entirely than use one of those again.

Wouldn't, couldn't, no-way-would-I-ever give up central a/c. I couldn't live where we do without it. I'd be constantly grumpy. Moving someplace with milder summers would be A-OK with me. I can't stand the heat!

Having a hard time finding an eco-friendly dishwasher detergent. OTOH, what started me on that mission was that our regular old Cascade started failing us.

mommysammi
08-26-2009, 11:57 PM
In addition to the TP and maxipads, I'm having a hard time giving up shampoo and conditioner. I've been using homemade shampoo soap bars and apple cider vinegar as conditioner. While they do the job, my hair just hasn't been the same. I'm almost about to give up and go back to my Dove.

kijip
08-27-2009, 12:47 AM
Interesting questions, americanmama. We do some of the things you mentioned and not others.

*gas lawn mover? Other gas lawn tools? You could get electric or, even better, a push reel mower.

My yard is tiny. We have very little grass because of all the groundcover we planted (which needs no watering) + the square foot garden beds. For the little grass we do have, I do have a reel mower. But that is not hard, since we have so little grass. If we lived somewhere with a big lawn, it would be priority #1 to get rid of the grass if it required watering and to plant more food.

*air conditioner, even if it's a climate that doesn't really demand it?

We have 1 a/c unit and we only use it to cool one room on the very hottest of days. Now that the hot weather here has passed, we don't have it around.

*washing laundry on warm or hot? (For those who have switched to all cold and a cold water detergent, how has it gone)?

Considering what I am washing, I need that hot water :hysterical: I do have a HE machine which uses a small amount of water per load. We use cold water for regular clothes and linens but hot for diapers, wipes, cleaning cloths etc.

*dishwasher? heat dry on dishwasher? I assume handwashing uses less water and obviously no electricity.

We don't use the heat dry on the dishwasher but we do use the dishwasher, filling it up and running it about 3-4 times a week. I never had one before and I must say it makes life WAY easier. Big benefit to me. When it was broken for a short time, we really felt it. I would be very reluctant to let it go now. ;)

*driving to work or errands that you could get to pretty easily in another way (bike, walk, public transportation)?

We bought our house in a walkable area and can commute to work, get groceries, get library books, go to the park, go to a farmer's market in the summer, go out to eat without a car. My husband generally bikes or rides the bus to work. When I worked at my last full-time job, I needed to drive for work (meetings, lunches, errands etc) but we owned a house where my "commute" was minimal. We do have just 1 car and not 2. When I go back to work full-time I will most likely be on the bus or if close, on a bike.

niccig
08-27-2009, 12:57 AM
AC - today was 99 and the AC did not kick in. I've got it set pretty high 79-80. DS and I went to the YMCA pool in the middle of the day and then went grocery shopping, so in someone else's AC. Once I get the new mesh in the window screens, I'll be able to keep the house more comfortable. The house stays cool until around 2pm, then it's hot. Once the afternoon cools off, I can open windows etc to get the house back down pretty quickly. Need the screens because of the bugs.

Wash on hot - always wash on cold. No problem with stains as I pretreat or soak with oxy-clean.

DIshwasher/heated dry. - we do use the dishwasher, but not the heated dry. I run it at night, and most things are dry the next morning. If not, I leave them on the drain board to air dry.

Driving to work/errands. - sigh, this we are not good at. We don't live near DH's work. There is no way we could afford a house by his work, they're in the millions of dollars. But he does drive a Prius for the commute. I'm looking for work and looking at close to home for school pick-ups. I try to combine all my errands at the same time. We live in LA, and everything is so spread out for us ....I do wish we lived walking distance to places.

kijip
08-27-2009, 01:38 AM
I am going to do this soon-- also from cotton jersey from tshirts and some I got on sale at JoAnn's...

http://www.funinthemaking.net/2009/03/31/soon-no-sew-t-shirt-tissues-and-hankie-hamper/

I always had a hankie as a child but now I am a little grossed out by the reuse factor. But single use, wash and use again I can go for...

At least I am not the only one. :)

Re: hankies, we use them at home but basically only as a single use thing if it gets snotty. If I use one when out, I roll it up and stash it away. I don't go in for using a snotty one again. I will say that being at home in bed sick with a stack of cloth hankies is way more comfortable than a box of tissue. All the soft ones are lotion-y and scent-y and irritate my nose and the less soft ones rub my nose raw after a few hours of all but continuous use. Cloth is way more gentle on the nose.

kijip
08-27-2009, 01:45 AM
Thought of something else I am not giving up- cell phones and computers. I buy them and while I don't replace things super often, I am on my 4th personally owned computer in 12 years and 7th cell phone (factoring in lost/broken ones) in 10 years. Discarded consumer electronics are a huge amount of garbage.

jgenie
08-27-2009, 04:54 AM
Thought of something else I am not giving up- cell phones and computers. I buy them and while I don't replace things super often, I am on my 4th personally owned computer in 12 years and 7th cell phone (factoring in lost/broken ones) in 10 years. Discarded consumer electronics are a huge amount of garbage.

This made me laugh - my siblings are always laughing at my ancient cell phone. They keep telling me I have to be entitled to a free one by now and that I should replace it. I just can't see getting rid of it although the Iphones are really cool looking. I've probably had 3 cell phone in 15 years - avg about 5 years with each. I really only use mine to call my mom and keep just in case I need to call DH when I'm out or meeting up with a friend.

kijip
08-27-2009, 06:06 AM
This made me laugh - my siblings are always laughing at my ancient cell phone. They keep telling me I have to be entitled to a free one by now and that I should replace it.

I used an "ancient" Nokia phone today of a family member and except for the very dim display, it was perfectly fine. I feel like a putz for having replaced mine so often- first we switched services (before you could move the chip yourself), and then I have had a line of phones meet an untimely end. Water damage, snapped in two by a nightstand I knocked over with my foot in my sleep, lost etc.

pastrygirl
08-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Wash on hot - always wash on cold. No problem with stains as I pretreat or soak with oxy-clean. Just wanted to comment on this, since a lot of people don't seem to know -- hot water will set your stains. In culinary school, we were given the tip to wash our aprons and uniforms on cold, otherwise the chocolate/etc. would stain forever. If my son's clothing is stained, I wash on cold. :) I pretty much always wash my stuff on cold, always have.

egoldber
08-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Casade (sorry, nothing else works)

I bought Ecover and it worked fine for me and I had always been a diehard Cascade gal. I only tired the tablets, not sure if the powder works as well.

Using a dishwasher uses less water than handwashing. You have to make sure the dishwasher is full, but that is no problem for us LOL!!

I had not thought about AC. In the climate we live in now, I would have a very hard time giving it up. We've had the AC go out a few times in the summer and it was so hot we couldn't sleep upstairs. Downstairs was more bearable. But our house has a ton windows that get full afternoon sun and it gets HOT. When we lived in California, we didn't really need AC because it didn't get that hot, it wasn't humid and it would cool off overnight.

Cloth napkins and hand towels and rags are all washed together here. I have a small laundry basket in my laundry room (just off my kitchen) for them and they get washed about every 2 weeks.

kayte
08-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Okay... here's my list...

Nighttime pull-ups-- DD wakes up if she feels wet- I like sleeping through the night

parchment paper -- we have a slipat mat but for some things paper is better

freezer press and seal - I wrap my pyrex refrigerator containers with it for the freezer

new and improved apple products--because we like them

books- I get the kindle and similar devices but I don't see it happening for me for long long long time--I love the feel of a good book

paper for art -- we go through LOTS and LOTS of paper--we do recycle it

and Air conditioning--I live in Texas!!!!

Some things this thread made me think about...

someone said shampoo in plastic bottles....???? I have never heard of shampoo coming in anything else? I do recycle our bottles? Is there a better way? (besides no-poo?)

fabric wipes for peeing

egoldber
08-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Is there a better way?

I have gone from washing my hair everyday to 2-3 times a week. I use sooo much less shampoo. So even though it comes in plastic bottles, it lasts forever. I also buy larger sizes. I love only buying shampoo once a year. :hysterical:

books- I get the kindle and similar devices but I don't see it happening for me for long long long time--I love the feel of a good book

We basically have stopped buying books. We use the library except very, very rarely.

mommylamb
08-27-2009, 10:05 AM

We've got an electric lawn mower (I'm an end unit townhouse, so not a big yard), which might be better than gas, but then again, I live in Virginia, where electricity is pretty heavily coal dependent.

We try to limit our AC use, but that's for cost reasons rather than because I'm such a good environmental steward. We recently installed a whole new AC/furnace that meets the higher standards required to get the tax credit in the recovery act. But, that was because we had a problem with out old AC and it made more financial sense to get a whole new system since we could get the tax credit this year, rather than wait until the whole thing really died and no tax credit in a future year.

I do wash the vast majority of our laundry on cold only. Works perfectly fine. Again, it's a cost savings as well as a saving for the environment. laundry soap is designed to work in cold anyway. I wash towels and bed linens on warm. I hang dry the vast majority of our clothes too, and try to combine loads so that when I do run the dryer I'm drying one decent sized load, rather than 2 small loads. I pine away for an outside clothesline, but alas, I live in an HOA and it's a big no no.

kayte
08-27-2009, 10:11 AM
We basically have stopped buying books. We use the library except very, very rarely.

I use the library a lot (in fact I use our library and Deannanb's public library that is so much bigger than ours).

And when I buy books, I do try to buy used. We have an amazing local chain here.

But I am just saying I couldn't go without pages to turn. When I pregnant and very ill I couldn't read because it made me vomit. I went to audible.com and downloaded books to my ipod, which I did enjoy. but I was so excited when I could go back to books.

mommylamb
08-27-2009, 10:16 AM
FWIW, another thing you can do is unplug your appliances while they're not in use. They suck electricity even while off. Especially anything that still has a light on when it's off (or a clock... why are clocks on so many appliances that are not meant to function primarily as a clock??). And, flat screen TVs use about 50% more electricity than the old tube TVs.

Now, if your electricity comes primarily from nuclear (or renewables), you aren't producing so much carbon, but if your state is heavily coal dependent, you are producing a great deal of carbon when you use electricity.

niccig
08-27-2009, 12:17 PM
This made me laugh - my siblings are always laughing at my ancient cell phone. They keep telling me I have to be entitled to a free one by now and that I should replace it. I just can't see getting rid of it although the Iphones are really cool looking. I've probably had 3 cell phone in 15 years - avg about 5 years with each. I really only use mine to call my mom and keep just in case I need to call DH when I'm out or meeting up with a friend.

My cell phone is 5 years old. It still works - but it doesn't hold a charge for longer than a day. I do need to get a new FREE one. I don't need a fancy phone. I did get an iPod Touch for all the applications, so that's why a basic phone is fine for me.

AnnieW625
08-27-2009, 12:53 PM
I am on my third cell phone in almost 8 years (one of those had to be replaced so it doesn't really count). My cell is 4 years old and still works great for what I use it for, which is talking and it's blue tooth compatible so really no reason to upgrade. I don't text either.

Between the two of us we have had 4 computers in the 12 years we've been together, and only 3 since we got married in 2003.