PDA

View Full Version : buying wine online?

neeleymartin
08-25-2009, 08:25 PM
has anyone bought wine online? where do you buy it? is it really much cheaper?

now that ds2 is sleeping through the night, i find myself having a glass of wine each night. aaaaaahhhhhh, delicious.

fwiw, i drink the cheap stuff. yellowtail, black swan, etc. all red. tia:54:

niccig
08-25-2009, 08:28 PM
DH buys it online. I'll have to ask from where, but I think he does it from several places. You can buy a couple of bottles or a case. He normally splits a case with work colleagues that like the same wine. It's cheaper than buying it at a liquor store. Someone over 21 has to be home to sign for delivery. And you need a place to store the wine.

Twoboos
08-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Have no idea about this but recently saw http://wine.woot.com and I know there are lots of woot fans here!!

DebbieJ
08-25-2009, 08:42 PM
some states have laws about shipping wine, so you might not be able to buy it online in your state.

wellyes
08-25-2009, 08:53 PM
I haven't found it to be cheaper to buy mass-market wines online. My favorite is yellowtail -- I just go to BJs. Ask around your local liquor shops, many offer case discounts and allow you to mix-n-match the wines in the case.

For variety & to try (slightly) better stuff, we've done 4 Seasons wine. We've bought the "mystery case" from them, 12 better-than-the-cheap-stuff wines for under $100 shipped. It comes very well packaged. You do need an adult at the address to sign for it, or be willing to drive to UPS after a few failed attempts. But we've been really pleased with the quality of the wine.

kijip
08-25-2009, 08:57 PM
I think online is better for deals on the better-than-cheap stuff or just sheer access to a small label.

The best cheap stuff I have found and clear best price is the ever popular "three buck chuck" from Trader Joes. No way to beat that price online. ;)

caheinz
08-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Whether you can do this or not totally depends on what state you're in, and what state you're ordering from. In general, any wine-producing state will only allow you to import wine from a state that allows the import of your state's wines. And not all of the wine-producing states play nice...

infomama
08-25-2009, 10:00 PM
The only wine I have bought online was actually from the winery in Truro. I can't get it where I am and it was totally worth it. I suppose I would only buy wine online if I knew the wine and wasn't able to get it locally.

Sillygirl
08-25-2009, 10:16 PM
I've bought a lot from wine.woot and really enjoyed it. Plus I got on the mailing lists of several wineries and gotten deals through them as well. That said, if you're happy with yellow tail (nothing wrong with it) wine.woot probably is more pricey than you're looking for.

Toba
08-25-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm not sure what are laws are (NJ) but we have weird ones. I'll never forget the first time I saw liquor at a regular convenience store out of state. Our Sam's Club and Costco sell wine/beer, but BJ's does not. The only other places that sell it are liquor stores (which there are a lot of ... although there are a few "dry" towns) or bars with carry out. At least down by where I live.

We find the BEST wine at wine festivals. My sister got us into them. We go to the Cranberry Festival every year (Chatsworth, NJ) and they have at least one NJ winery that sells there .... we get their cranberry wine every year for Thanksgiving. Then my sister found the actual wine festivals that happen around here .... WOW .... lots of selection. You pay for admission and a small wine glass (that you wear around your neck) and you sample all the wineries' stuff. I believe it's mostly NJ wineries (we have a lot of them, believe it or not), but I think the festivals happen elsewhere too. It's an awesome way to try out the wine before you buy and to find new variations.

LexyLou
08-25-2009, 10:27 PM
One of my favorite sites is www.winestillsoldout.com

I subscribe, every day they have a different wine available at a discounted rate. They sell it till it sells out and moves to the next wine. If you buy 4 bottles, it's free shipping. I've gotten great deals.

I also like www.winelibrary.com

Happy drinking!

frgsnlzrds
08-26-2009, 10:24 AM
I bought a couple cases of mead from bargetto winery for my wedding and it was yum-mee! They have other wines and wine of the month clubs too.

jhrabosk
08-26-2009, 11:46 AM
I also like www.winelibrary.com (http://www.winelibrary.com)

Happy drinking!

This is what I was going to recommend. My husband is addicted to it and we've gotten quite a lot of good, relatively inexpensive (under $15) wines. We live nearby and pick up at the store though, so I don't know how they are for shipping.

Enjoy!