PDA

View Full Version : How long for goose egg to go down after fall?

DrSally
08-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Deleted..............

s7714
08-26-2009, 12:40 AM
My DD got one when she was a newbie walker that lasted a good three weeks or so. The bruising started to fade away yet she still had a noticeable bump. Luckily it was under her bangs. She's had a few others that have lasted at least a week.

DrSally
08-26-2009, 09:22 AM
Deleted........

vludmilla
08-26-2009, 09:26 AM
My DD had one and our pediatrician recommended massaging the ridge (not the swelling, but the residual ridge--the swelling would be too sore). She said we should massage it several times a day to help it go away. Not to scare you but she did say that some never completely go away but the massaging of the ridge could help it go away more completely. My DD for example still has a slight ridge there when she wrinkles her forehead but when her forehead is smooth you don't see it. I try to consider it a character mark ;)

DrSally
08-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Deleted........

vludmilla
08-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Thank you for the info! I vaguely remember reading something about calcium formations under the skin after a trauma, and *thought* that maybe massaging it would help break those up. So, I've been doing it a little while she's nursing (the only time I can mess with her face wo/her getting upset). I will step it up then if there's anything I can do to prevent a permanent bump. It's pretty long and looking at it makes me feel guilty I let her fall!

Yes, that's it, the calcium formation. I know the mommy guilt all too well. DD fell twice on her birthday the other day. It so happens that her grandmother was playing with her when *that* one happened and the poor woman feels bad every time she see the ridge. My MIL is so conscientious but even so, falls happen even when we are watching and close by. Sometimes I think all little ones should wear nice ventilated helmets all day ;)