PDA

View Full Version : Fun Early Reader Boy Books?

kransden
08-26-2009, 02:34 AM
I am helping some boys with reading difficulties. Good stories would help engage them. I need something along the Biscuit level, but more boyish. Any suggestions that your boys liked/loved?

kedss
08-26-2009, 08:04 AM
what age are they? I love the Frog and Toad books, but Mouse Tales and Mouse Soup also by Arnold Lobel are fun too-any of the early reader Dr Seuss are fun- even the "One Fish, Two Fish..." would be a good one since the words are pretty simple and it has fun illustrations.

zoestargrove
08-26-2009, 09:40 AM
while not traditional early readers, my son took a liking to Mo Willem's humor and loved the comic book style of reading the speech bubbles. One of the Piggy and Elephant books was the first book HE was motivated to pick up and read on his own from beginning to end in one sitting.

The other really amazing thing I noticed about that format is that he wanted to read aloud with lots of inflection and feeling based on how the character was drawn. He'd sound out a sentence (sometimes ask for my help and then say it aloud like he thought the character would say it.) I was blown away by his first attempt. He was not only reading - he was comprehending the humor- laughing out loud. It was more than I expected.

Kelly

egoldber
08-26-2009, 09:43 AM
I assume you're looking for things for older boys who are behind in reading?

What about more comic book style books...that may be more appealing to an older kid?

oneplustwo
08-26-2009, 10:58 AM
There are also some Little Critter books by Mercer Mayer in the My First I Can Read book series; they feature a boy "critter" as the protagonist. They really appeal to my boys.

IIRC, Go Away, Dog by Joan Nodset is the same level reader as the Biscuit books.

This may be too similar to Biscuit, but you could take a look at Pizza for Sam or Sam Finds a Monster by Mary Labatt (Sam is another dog).

A little more advanced than the Biscuit books, but there's also Henry and Mudge by Cythia Rylant.

kransden
08-26-2009, 11:14 AM
These are second graders, but they are on a late kinder/ early first grade level. Biscuit was tough. i.e. See the duck Biscuit? Quack! Woof says Biscuit.
I am actually looking for specific recommendations. So I can just go to the library and get them. A friend suggested 'Sister for Sale'.

Karenn
08-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Have you seen the Fly Guy books? They were all the rage in DS kindergarten class last year. Full of gross (but not inappropriate, imo) humor that boys love with a fairly low reading level. Some of the vocabulary is kind of tricky, but the pictures offer good cues and there is a lot of repetitive language, which helps too.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=fly+guy&x=0&y=0

(the ones by Tedd Arnold are the ones I'm talking about.)

zoestargrove
08-26-2009, 01:14 PM
I can give a recommendation for a good beginner graphic novel/comic strip for young kids.

Sticky Burr: Adventures in Burrwood Forest

I thought it was adorable and my boys loved it.

here is the link. http://www.amazon.com/Sticky-Burr-Adventures-Burrwood-Forest/dp/0763635677/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251307361&sr=1-1

kransden
08-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I have a prissy girl, so we never read these types of books. I'll see what the library has, and will report back eventually on how we did.