PDA

View Full Version : For mamas who took Zoloft for PPD and BF

Happy 2B mommy
08-26-2009, 11:22 AM
One of the side-effects of the Zoloft is digestion issues. I have an iron stomach, so I've had none but DS has increased spit up, gas and has had chronic diarrhea for the last 2 weeks. I talked to his peditrican who really didn't give me a straight answer if it could be from the Zoloft. He basically said that they believe Zoloft is safe for breastfeeding and I should continue to take it, that a happy mommy is best for baby, blah, blah, blah.

Any other mamas notice issues with their LO while on Zoloft?

StantonHyde
08-26-2009, 01:00 PM
I suppose that could be why DS was gassy--but it didn't affect DD at all. Plus, I understood that the digestion issues were only when you started Zoloft (which was true for me) and then it calmed down within 2-6 weeks. I wouldn't have quit the Zoloft to stop the gas--I would have tried eliminating other factors first.

wellyes
08-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Nope. He's getting such trace amts anyway (esp if you are on a lowe dose). I think it was probably something else. No way to know for sure, though.

carolinamama
08-26-2009, 01:11 PM
I started Zoloft a month ago and am bfing an 11 month old. Just recently I have noticed that his poop has been much looser, not more often or anything. But I am not sure if it is the Zoloft or the huge amount of fresh fruit he has been eating. Not a reason to stop it in any case if it is working for you. Can you try to take the Zoloft right after your feed your lo before his longest stretch of sleep?

7pages
08-26-2009, 01:18 PM
I nursed while on zoloft with 2 different children and never noticed anything. Good luck!

aa2mama
08-26-2009, 05:13 PM
I took Zoloft with DD and never noticed any adverse effects in her. She was a spitter but I don't think it was related to the medication.