PDA

View Full Version : Diaper bags

TwoBees
08-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Please tell me about your diaper bag and why you love it (or hate it). I am just starting the shopping (browsing, really) process.

newg
08-26-2009, 11:52 AM
I have two.......my large diaper bag is a vera bradley (the old version).....love it because it is totally machiene washable, has four outside pockets (one holds the changing pad, two on the ends for bottles, one small in front), and three inside pockets and a zipper....I really like the bag and don't have any complaints about it!!

My smaller is a eddie bauer, small messenger type bag I got for DH (turns out he really doesn't care what the bag looks like).....but it's handy for quick trips, like going to the ped and has some nice "mommy" pockets......
Looking back I would not have gotten the eddie bauer bag.......we really don't use it that much and once you put a few diapers in, travel wipes, and a spare onsie it's pretty full......I probably would have picked something different for the "small, quick trip, bag.."...
I also have a skiphop diaper/wipe holder....and that's pretty much what I use now that DD is older...holds two diapers, travel wipes, and has a smal changing pad....I just toss it in my purse/car/stroller and we're set for an emergency change......

Good luck!

AnnieW625
08-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Our main diaper bag was the all black Eddie Bauer messenger bag from Babies R Us/Target. It's not stylish, but it was very light when it was full of stuff. The photo doesn't show a shoulder strap, but ours had one. DH picked it out.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2401256&moduleName=Brand+Name+Secondary

Seeing that I live in uber trendy SoCal (and the land of $$$$ diaper bags) I wanted to carry something besides the Eddie Bauer bag for times where I was someplace nice like the mall or a restaurant and wanted something that didn't scream diaper bag, but was still trendy so I got a black Seat Belt Bag executive tote and it worked out really well for times like that when I didn't need to have everything under the sun in the bag (a bottle or cup of warm water, extra formula, a bib, a diaper and a change of clothing). It's a great bag, really well made, made in the USA (actually local to me:)), and it's great now for travelling and most of the time I use it as my main travel bag as it easily fits my wallet, a sippy cup, my water bottle, a magazine or book, and DD's blanket. It also fits nicely underneath the airplane seat! I would definitely check out the messenger bag though because it now has a full shoulder strap, but that bag wasn't out yet when I bought the bag in 2006.
http://www.seatbeltbags.com/executive-tote-zip.html
http://www.seatbeltbags.com/messenger.html

A friend of mine who had a few more diaper bags than she cares to admit finally admitted that she likes her Kate Spade diaper back pack bag more than the others she has bought over the years.

sunshine873
08-26-2009, 02:02 PM
I have the inexpensive backpack diaper bag from BRU.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2748208

I knew I wanted a backpack. Bags always slip off my shoulders and I'm constantly wrestling with purses, so I wanted something that would free up my hands to hold baby. This definitely fits the bill for that.

I also would have loved something decorative and pretty, but realistically knew there would be plenty of times I'd want DH to carry the bag. Although he's incredibly helpful, he'd be hesitant to carry around a bunch of pink flowers, etc. So, this is boring black, but he doesn't mind carrying it, it goes with everything and I don't have to worry about it getting dirty.

The pockets allow me to stay pretty organized, and I love that the large pocket unzips all the way so it's easy to see what's in there. It came with a changing pad, which also holds diapers & wipes, so that's easy to grab.

So yes, I often think of something prettier, but this is incredibly functional and works well for us. I'm glad I have it and would recommend it to anyone.

arivecchi
08-26-2009, 04:33 PM
We have 3 diaper bags: (i) expensive Kate Spade messenger diaper bag, (ii) dragon Diaper Dude and (iii) Baby Sherpa. The Diaper Dude gets the most use by far. Easy to sling around (messenger type bag), lots of pockets and just the right size for slinging it over a stroller. The Baby Sherpa is awesome too. We use it for daytrips or traveling. It has cooler compartments, diaper changer, tons of pockets, mesh for jackets or blankets and is super comfy to wear. It is my only carry-on when I travel with the kids. The Kate Spade one is gathering dust in a closet. :hysterical:

SnuggleBuggles
08-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Lands' End Little Tripper is my go-to bag. I hate big bags and would never carry one unless I was going on some crazy outing where I wouldn't have access to anything. Honestly, what's going to happen in the 40 minutes that I'm in Target that I'd be lost without the contents of my nursery? ;) But, I am a small purse kind of person. A friend once laid it out like that- are you a big purse or small purse person? That answer should be kept in mind as you choose. You aren't going to suddenly become one or the other if you have preferences from the start, imo.

I like the LE Little Tripper b/c the outside pocket holds my cell phone, wallet and keys. The inside pocket holds all the stuff I need for the kids. And it has drink pockets on the side, which are handy even though I did not bottle feed. I used them for my water or ds2's sippy cup when he got older.

Beth

catsnkid
08-26-2009, 08:24 PM
I registered for a red one at BRU, but someone gave me a brown Carters one. It's okay. I like the pockets on the sides. I lost the changing pad the first week (left at OBGYN's bathroom during c-sect incision check!), but replaced it with the Amy Coe wipes pod which snaps around the bag and fits nicely in a side pocket. I stuff bounty paper towel napkins in one pocket and plastic bags for backseat/changing room diaper disposal. I also put my diet cokes in there. :applause:

jgenie
08-26-2009, 08:41 PM
Lands' End Little Tripper is my go-to bag. I hate big bags and would never carry one unless I was going on some crazy outing where I wouldn't have access to anything. Honestly, what's going to happen in the 40 minutes that I'm in Target that I'd be lost without the contents of my nursery? ;) But, I am a small purse kind of person. A friend once laid it out like that- are you a big purse or small purse person? That answer should be kept in mind as you choose. You aren't going to suddenly become one or the other if you have preferences from the start, imo.

I like the LE Little Tripper b/c the outside pocket holds my cell phone, wallet and keys. The inside pocket holds all the stuff I need for the kids. And it has drink pockets on the side, which are handy even though I did not bottle feed. I used them for my water or ds2's sippy cup when he got older.

Beth

:yeahthat: I started w/ a Skip Hop duo but my LE Little Tripper gets daily use now.

SnuggleBuggles
08-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Oh, and something like a Diapees/ Wipees is so darned useful so you can quicjly grab all your diapering supplies at once. I keep 2 diapers, a baggie of about 6 wipes, and a disposable changing pad in mine. http://www.diapeesandwipees.com/

Or, the First Years' Fold and Go changing pad (changing pad with pockets for your diapering needs).

Beth

wencit
08-26-2009, 11:15 PM
I have a JuJuBe Packabe and LOVE it! With my preschooler and newborn, I love the fact that I can wear it as a backpack and have my hands free for everything else. It has a light interior, which allows me to see the contents inside. I had a Skip Hop Dash with DS1 and hated the black interior. The Packabe is so pretty that I've gotten several compliments on it already. I'm usually not a girly-girl and am normally very practical, but after carrying around my boring red Dash, I was ready for a change and am so glad I did, LOL! Can't say enough good things about my JJB!

aajamu
08-28-2009, 11:15 AM
I love my Fleurville Sling Tote (in Geo Botanical, the royal blue interior is to die for - my fave print second only to Dandelion). Honestly, the bag did not work at all when I had a newborn - just way too small to handle all those random pieces of gear you need to haul around with a spit-up and blow-out prone newborn. But now that my first DS is totally PT'd and my second DS is a toddler almost off the bottle, the sling tote is perfect. The straps stay on my shoulder, which is saying a lot since I have really slopey shoulders. Just big enough and lots of outside pockets for easy-access. Zip top means no spills when the bag falls over and it stands up on its own. It hangs on my Maclaren quite nicely even without the O-rings (which are silly, actually).

I also like the fact that the company is environmentally responsible.

seedoubleyou
08-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Ju Ju Be's Be All. Stain proof water repellant exterior, anti-microbial lining, just right size not too big nor small, mommy pocket separate from baby section, squishy memory foam change pad. Highly attractive fabric prints always draws compliments :cheerleader1:

Other diaper bags owned:
Ju Ju Be Be Light - nice materials, light, but no closure
Lesportsac's Liz - Best change pad, has "pillow" for head rest, bag can't close if fully packed
Built NY - Lightweight, does not look like diaper bag, but drawstring when tightened can alter bag shape, no changing pad
Kipling - Lightweight, machine washable and dryer safe, but does not look attractive.

TwoBees
08-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Thank you for all of the suggestions! I am going to check some out tomorrow.

lucybabymamma
09-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Hi! Just saw your post because I posted how much I love my petunia pickle bottom boxy backpack. If you are still looking, I would check it out!

Swimfreak78
09-06-2009, 08:05 AM
I LOVE my LL Bean diaper bag -- when it gets dirty I just throw it in the laundry and wash it. I think they might be on sale in the outlets.

HTH

seedoubleyou
09-07-2009, 11:20 AM
I almost bought the Petunia Pickle Bottom online, thankfully I went to check it out in person. There are basically 2 types of fabric. A satin brocade and a laminated cotton canvas. The latter looks VERY cheap for the price tag, the former is very pretty but exposed threads snag easily. Both bags wear down very fast, as in they look well used when few days old, and don't look as attractive when brand new. PPB bags are too heavy for me when empty, not ideal when I'm babywearing at the same time. That's what made me decide on Jujube (they're much lighter though around same price and have special material properties no other bag's got) instead.

Apart from Jujube, my second choice would be Storksak.

aajamu
09-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Hi! Just saw your post because I posted how much I love my petunia pickle bottom boxy backpack. If you are still looking, I would check it out!

Definitely check it out if you have a newborn or 2 kids in diapers. It is large, but not gi-normous and very well made. The glazed fabric is stiffer, but wipeable and lasts forever (no PVC, no teflon). The brocade fabrics are gorgeous, but I always recommend to get darker colors. My brocade bags have held up very very well - the first PPB I owned lasted 3 years before the silk on the bottom of the bag showed signs of noticeable wear. I wish I still needed a BB, but they are just too big for me right now (toddler and preschooler stage). Organization is perfect, changing pad is long enough for tall toddlers, and no mesh pockets (hate the mesh pockets).

aajamu
09-09-2009, 02:32 PM
I almost bought the Petunia Pickle Bottom online, thankfully I went to check it out in person. There are basically 2 types of fabric. A satin brocade and a laminated cotton canvas. The latter looks VERY cheap for the price tag, the former is very pretty but exposed threads snag easily. Both bags wear down very fast, as in they look well used when few days old, and don't look as attractive when brand new. PPB bags are too heavy for me when empty, not ideal when I'm babywearing at the same time. That's what made me decide on Jujube (they're much lighter though around same price and have special material properties no other bag's got) instead.

Apart from Jujube, my second choice would be Storksak.

My PPB brocade bag held up extremely well. But again, I do recommend getting darker colors and closer-weave prints (like Zanzibar). And I didn't think the glazed fabric looked cheap; I appreciated it wasn't the shiny glazed fabric, since that tends to scuff more. However, PPB bags seem to be a love or hate thing.

I do love Storksak too; also super expensive, but they last forever. That nylon is indestructible. The leather they use on the trim for some bags scuffs & scratches easily though. Just wish they'd upgrade their leathers.

babychi
09-10-2009, 10:54 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LF3X6G

I have this Skip Hop Studio bag in black and I love it because, well, it doesn't really look like a diaper bag! It's very sleek and has room for everything for baby plus my makeup bag, wallet, phone, keys, etc. The stroller straps are also awesome for walks. I also use the Skip Hop changing wallet for short trips, which is also wonderful, I just place it in the stroller basket if we're only going to be out for a few hours. It's also compact enough to fit inside my Studio tote with everything else inside it so I don't have to change out wipes, diapers, etc. when switching up between the two.

cindykop
09-13-2009, 05:54 PM
does anyone have experience with the Kate Spade diaper bag? it looks so cute online, but I wanted to hear from someone who actually owns it. I want something super neutral that doesn't look like a diaper bag. Any other bags that are similar, send my way.

Thanks!

arivecchi
09-22-2009, 02:51 PM
does anyone have experience with the Kate Spade diaper bag? it looks so cute online, but I wanted to hear from someone who actually owns it. I want something super neutral that doesn't look like a diaper bag. Any other bags that are similar, send my way.

Thanks! I have the messenger type one and never use it. Super cute, but not practical. :(

tarnator
09-23-2009, 12:31 AM
Am i the only person who doesn't like the fabrics of the JJB bags?
To me they scream 'diaper bag'. i love the construction, but the only ones that I could ever tolerate were the boring brown or black!

Got a great deal on a Storksak. Really like it - but I have to agree that the 'leather' is kinda crappy. I have heard that their customer service is awesome, but I haven't tested it out yet. I would like to replace the changing pad with one of those 'all-in-one' pad/wipes/wetbag things, so that I can just grab 1 thing out of the bag when i hit the changing table.

aajamu
09-24-2009, 12:16 AM
Not a fan of the JJB prints...except Purple Paisley. The prints work better in the smaller bags like the Be Quick or Be Mine. In the bigger bags, they do scream diaper bag for sure.

Storksak makes great bags, though yes, the leather trim tends to crack and scuff way too easily. Other than that though, they will last forever.

Am i the only person who doesn't like the fabrics of the JJB bags?
To me they scream 'diaper bag'. i love the construction, but the only ones that I could ever tolerate were the boring brown or black!

Got a great deal on a Storksak. Really like it - but I have to agree that the 'leather' is kinda crappy. I have heard that their customer service is awesome, but I haven't tested it out yet. I would like to replace the changing pad with one of those 'all-in-one' pad/wipes/wetbag things, so that I can just grab 1 thing out of the bag when i hit the changing table.

AnnieW625
10-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Not a fan of the JJB prints...except Purple Paisley. The prints work better in the smaller bags like the Be Quick or Be Mine. In the bigger bags, they do scream diaper bag for sure.

Storksak makes great bags, though yes, the leather trim tends to crack and scuff way too easily. Other than that though, they will last forever.

I agree with you about the JJB prints. I really like the black lullaby one, but only on the smallish bags,
http://www.ju-ju-be.com/our_products.asp?prodid=beall