PDA

View Full Version : Potty training regression after another DC comes along (also posted in Diapers)

maylips
08-26-2009, 04:17 PM
DD potty trained VERY easily over Memorial Day - literally decided that weekend that she was ready to poop/pee on the potty and had zero accidents...until this past week.

Two days ago, she told DH she needed to pee, then sat on her potty w/out pulling her pants down and peed through her pants. The next morning, while still in her diaper from overnight, she told me she needed to pee. I asked if she needed help taking off her diaper and she said no; then I watched her sit down on her potty with her diaper on and pee again.

Today, as her babysitter was dropping her off, we were outside talking and DD just started peeing. This is from a girl who never had to be reminded to go pee - she would just run off and take care of it herself.

Our son was born 3 weeks ago today - think that's why she's doing this? If so, how do we help her past it? Do we get on to her? I'm afraid to give her too much attention about it. We still give her a treat for doing her business (one jelly bean for pee; two for poop), so we can't go back to giving treats since we haven't stopped. I'm just not sure how to handle it but I'm still recovering from a c-section and am not loving cleaning up the mess that she's making. I was spoiled before. :)

brittone2
08-26-2009, 04:23 PM
nak-
IMO no point in battling over it because you won't win, kwim? No adult can *make* a child use the potty. And IMO you risk straining your relationship at a time when she's in emotional turmoil and needs you the most...even when they seem to be adjusting okay.

I'd just nonchalantly go back to dipes personally. JMO...not worth the battle and you are unlikely IMO to get very far because you can't "make" her kwim?

And the more time and attention you focus on her not using the potty, the more of power struggle it may become. IMO better to not go there.

arivecchi
08-26-2009, 04:26 PM
My ped advised me to wait to potty train DS1 until well after DS2 was born because there is pretty much always regression.