PDA

View Full Version : Allergy test results - bad news.

Clarity
08-26-2009, 07:50 PM
My 11 mo dd2 was scratch tested today. She tested positive for dairy and milk. No real surprise for me there. But she also tested positive for PEANUT. That was a surprise and honestly, I just cried there in the office and on the way home. I was so afraid of a peanut allergy. I guess now we have to take her in for a RAST test to determine the severity of the allergy and to check a few more, like berry and tree nuts.

I'm headed to the kidswithfoodallergies website but other advice and resources are most welcome. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

mytwosons
08-26-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm so sorry!

It will completely and totally suck at first, but it will get so much easier and it will become second nature to check labels. I promise it will get easier!

almostamom
08-26-2009, 08:51 PM
First, take a deep breath. I don't know that they'll RAST test a child that young. DS was 14 mos. old when we discovered his peanut allergy. He had a RAST test, but the results were way off (he presented allergic to everything they tested for - even things he'd been eating/drinking without any issues whatsoever). Ask your child's allergist if there's an allergy support network in your area. The one here in Phoenix has been a fabulous resource for me and I'm just part of the yahoo group. Within a few weeks, reading food labels will become second nature to you. It may seem a bit overwhelming at first, but soon enough it will become normal for you, I promise. In the meantime, if you have any questions, want to vent, or need a shoulder to cry on, please feel free to pm me.

Good luck,
Linda

goodnightmoon
08-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Did the allergist say there was any chance she might grow out of it? My friend's 10 month old son was just diagnosed with wheat, milk and peanut allergies last week, but the mother was told that many of the children diagnosed so early will actually grow out of it.

I'm sorry either way. :(

ThreeofUs
08-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Hugs to you and your DD! It really will be okay.

Keeping kids off dairy and peanuts is easier than you might think, these days, because there are SO many of them (and their parents are so vocal).

Good on you for taking her to an allergist so soon - and not having to find out the hard way, kwim?

Were you referred for a RAST? It's usually not something they like to do for little ones, since there's so much stuff swimming around their blood anyway - the false positives are off the charts. Here's hoping you don't have to do this, but (again) hugs and support if you do.

DrSally
08-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Pretty much the same thing that happened to us. DS had a reaction to milk and when we went for testing, he also tested pos to eggs and peanuts. He hasn't had any reactions to eggs or peanuts, we've been able to successfully avoid both for 3 years. Peanuts are actually much easier to avoid than milk. The only thing that bothers me is worry about how severe a reaction might be if he ever has one.

ETA: Lots of us have FA kids here too, so feel free to ask question and vent. It is overwhelming at first, but then becomes much more managable. The emotional impact is hard at first, I know. Hang in there!

Clarity
08-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks ladies. The Immunologist is sending dd for RAST testing - just to try to get an idea of how "allergic" she is to the peanut, specifically. I have a pretty good idea about the allergy to milk and egg. But, they're also going to check a few other allergens such as berry and fish, etc. He did say that there could be false positives, but that if it was negative, it was usually a true negative.

I'm glad to hear it's not so hard to avoid the peanut. That's the one that's scaring me at the moment. I need to figure out what bread/pasta contains egg - like Pizza crust - does that have egg? I'll keep dairy away, but I'm actually not as worried about the dairy b/c while she definitely does react to dairy, the reactions are not severe - a hive here and there and some discomfort, ie redness and itching. She doesn't seem to react to butter as I'm pretty sure she's gotten some when sharing her sister's corn on the cob. Can the reaction get worse in the future? That would be something to keep at the forefront if so.

s_gosney
08-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Peanuts are actually much easier to avoid than milk.

:yeahthat: I was intially much more upset about the peanut allergy and thought that it was the one I really wanted to avoid dealing with, but the milk allergy is actually much more of a PITA IMO.

Regardless, :hug: to you. I don't know that much about testing, but we are waiting on RAST results right now. Our scratch testing didn't work because DS reacted to the negative control so that's why we're getting the RAST.

Hugs.

LarsMal
08-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Welcome to the club- I wish you didn't have to join! :(

Here is another website worth checking out:

http://www.foodallergy.org/

Clarity
08-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Did the allergist say there was any chance she might grow out of it? My friend's 10 month old son was just diagnosed with wheat, milk and peanut allergies last week, but the mother was told that many of the children diagnosed so early will actually grow out of it.

I'm sorry either way. :(

Our dr. said that there was a very good chance that she could outgrown the egg and dairy allergies, that it might take a while though. He said there was a 20% chance she'd outgrow the peanut allergy. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

LarsMal
08-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Our dr. said that there was a very good chance that she could outgrown the egg and dairy allergies, that it might take a while though. He said there was a 20% chance she'd outgrow the peanut allergy. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

DS was diagnosed with egg and dairy at 15 months. He also has beef, pork, and a couple tree nuts. Not peanut surprisingly! He had a RAST test at 15 months. The results were pretty high and at his appointment the following year the skin test was still so bad they didn't bother drawing blood again. When he had the test done last January his levels for egg and dairy had both come down. Our allergist is optimistic that he'll outgrow them, but it can take time! I hope your DD outgrows them, too!

Just wanted to add that my favorite cookbook for allergy-friendly cooking is

http://www.dairyfreeeggfreekidpleasingcookbook.com/

I highly recommend it!

Clarity
08-26-2009, 09:52 PM
First, take a deep breath. I don't know that they'll RAST test a child that young. DS was 14 mos. old when we discovered his peanut allergy. He had a RAST test, but the results were way off (he presented allergic to everything they tested for - even things he'd been eating/drinking without any issues whatsoever). Ask your child's allergist if there's an allergy support network in your area. The one here in Phoenix has been a fabulous resource for me and I'm just part of the yahoo group. Within a few weeks, reading food labels will become second nature to you. It may seem a bit overwhelming at first, but soon enough it will become normal for you, I promise. In the meantime, if you have any questions, want to vent, or need a shoulder to cry on, please feel free to pm me.

Good luck,
Linda

Thanks Linda, I appreciate the reassurance. The nurse/PA (not sure) said my area has a wonderful support network so I think dh and I will check into that.

I'm wondering....how hard is it to dine out with a child who has egg/dairy/peanut allergies? I WOTH full time and there are days I just do not want to cook. I think this is actually one of my big concerns!

Clarity
08-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks Julie...I just thought that I hadn't seen you around for a bit so I'm glad you caught this. Thanks for the book referral!

DrSally
08-26-2009, 09:58 PM
DS outgrew his milk allergy at 2yo and is on his way to outgrowing the egg (and mustard) allergies. His numbers for those are way down and he's even had a few bites of things with cooked egg in them with no reaction. Usually the milk goes first, then the egg. There's a very good chance he'll outgrow milk and egg. Our allergist said DS will prob not outgrow the peanut and his numbers are so high (60) for this age and have doubled since the last time he was tested. She said he prob had some trace exposure that made his numbers go up. Eating out is tricky. You just have to ask a lot of questions and I often ask to see the ingred label if they have the box. Bakery bread/buns are a no-no.

Fairy
08-26-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm so sorry. (((Hugs)))

LarsMal
08-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks Julie...I just thought that I hadn't seen you around for a bit so I'm glad you caught this. Thanks for the book referral!

I PM'd you!

Clarity
08-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks, Ivy!

newg
08-26-2009, 10:43 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your DC's allergies!! My good friend's DS has peanut, tree nut, egg, and soy allergies....they're hoping he'll outgrow most of them.......We're both watching food labels now as our DC's play together weekly and are always sharing snacks and sippy cups....
When we go out to eat together we've found the BD's Mongolian Grill restuarant has a special section to prepare food for those with allegies....it's pretty cool.
We've also discovered the freeze dried fruit crisps at costco are free of all possible allergy related foods...a nice snack on the go.....
One thing I'll share from my experience as a type I diabetic......keep a stash of epi pens everywhere.....I keep juice boxes, fruit snacks, candy in every possible place I can think of (car, purse, diaper bag, bedside table...) so if I get low I don't have to go far to get what I need.....

Good luck and hugs!!

bubbaray
08-26-2009, 11:11 PM
Sorry to hear your news.

Only 20% of +ve skin tests are "true" positives -- 80% are false +ves.

Our ped. allergist only does RAST testing on very young children with confirmed anaphylaxis. RAST testing does not confirm "how" allergic a child is to a particular substance. You can have low RAST numbers, with a severe reaction. For example, my DD#2 had the most severe anaphylaxis that our ER had ever seen (at 11.5m to finned fish). However, her peanut and egg numbers on RAST testing were higher than that of all the different types of finned fish they tested for.

What RAST testing is used for is to determine when it is "safer" to do food challenges. A food allergy is only confirmed by either a severe, verifiable reaction to a specific food or by a +ve food challenge -- RAST and skin tests are only indicators. Our ped. allergist will only do (in hospital) food challenges when RAST numbers are showing a prolonged downward trend.

ITA with the PPs, peanut is far easier to avoid than other things. I will say, if you live close to the Canadian border, peanut is quite easy to avoid here, there are many more peanut-free options in Canada in regular grocery stores than there are in the US. I always have to stock up on granola bars, cereal, cookies and snack-type items before we travel to the US. Not that its a big deal for your DD's' current age, but Halloween is also much much easier to deal with here than in the US. There are quite a few (common and well-liked) candies and chocolate bars that are marketed for Halloween as being peanut-free. So, long story short, if you are near the border, you can do some cross-border shopping! :)

Clarity
08-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Only 20% of +ve skin tests are "true" positives -- 80% are false +ves.

Our ped. allergist only does RAST testing on very young children with confirmed anaphylaxis. RAST testing does not confirm "how" allergic a child is to a particular substance. You can have low RAST numbers, with a severe reaction. For example, my DD#2 had the most severe anaphylaxis that our ER had ever seen (at 11.5m to finned fish). However, her peanut and egg numbers on RAST testing were higher than that of all the different types of finned fish they tested for.

This is interesting. I'll hold out hope that the peanut was a false negative. She's had a severe, but not anaphylactic, reaction to egg - and a more mild reaction to dairy. So, I'm pretty sure those are valid allergies. How do you determine with an 11mo if the peanut is a false positive? I'm doubtful he'll do a food challenge on her b/c she's so young. He indicated that's how he was going to use the RAST, so I'll see what he has to say about the results. I know you're well versed, so I'll mention this to him when I see him next. Thanks!

bubbaray
08-26-2009, 11:41 PM
How do you determine with an 11mo if the peanut is a false positive? I'm doubtful he'll do a food challenge on her b/c she's so young. He indicated that's how he was going to use the RAST, so I'll see what he has to say about the results. I know you're well versed, so I'll mention this to him when I see him next. Thanks!

Well, you don't -- you assume its a true positive until a challenge/exposure proves otherwise.

Our allergist does not do peanut challenges until at least age 6. He will do egg earlier. (ETA: both dependant upon declining RAST numbers, though). DD#2 was +ve to egg and has outgrown that. She had a couple of inadvertent exposures after her skin/RAST +ves that caused puffy lips and rash, so we knew those tests were accurate. She is now cleared to eat "hidden" egg (ie., in baking). FYI, we found egg the hardest thing to avoid.

LexyLou
08-26-2009, 11:45 PM
I'm highly allergic to all nuts-peanuts and all tree nuts. I go into anaphylaxis if I eat it.

Honestly, I did ok as a kid. And this was in the early 80's when there were no allergy awareness in schools so nuts were all over the place. My mom really just taught me at an early age to let people know how severe my allergy is. I learned to ask questions about everything. I still always ask servers, are there any nut products because if there are I will die. *smile*

I'm so sorry for you guys. But it's probably going to be harder on your than your DC. I've never really had nuts so I don't miss it at all. She won't either.

Oh, but definitely get her one of those allergy alert bracelets. I wore one for a long time.

alien_host
08-27-2009, 08:19 AM
I'm so sorry. I know how overwhelming it feels. DD was diagnosed at 28 months with peanut and cashew allergies (RAST only). We avoid all tree nuts and peanut.

She also was diangnosed with an egg allergy when she was just over 3 when she had a skin test. It took many months to get in to see the ped. allergist. She now, at 4 tested negative for egg (Rast and skin) and will have a food challenge in the fall.

I find nuts easy to avoid (but I still worry) and egg is much harder. DD could eat eggs in baked goods (but I only allowed homebaked by me).

It does get easier every day.

ThreeofUs
08-27-2009, 09:55 AM
btw, I've heard from our allergist that keeping kids off dairy completely is one of the best ways to ensure they outgrow the allergies. I can't confirm this is true by studies, but thought I'd pass it along for consideration.

Clarity
08-27-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm actually considering doing a dairy elimination diet myself again because I'm still nursing her. I tried it when she was younger but her eczema is still very hard to control around her mouth and behind her knees - perhaps if I tried to eliminate dairy, eggs and nuts from my diet it may improve. Only one way to find out.

bubbaray
08-27-2009, 10:30 AM
I just wanted to add re the eczema, our ped. allergist (head of ped. immunology at our Children's Hospital and a researcher) says that the latest science is leading docs to think that eczema causes food allergies because the food proteins enter the body not through the digestive tract (where they are broken down), but through the cracks in the skin caused by the eczema....

Anyway, just thought I'd through that out there. Sooooo many people told me that eczema was caused by food allergies and our allergist is adamant that science does not support that conclusion.

HTH

Clarity
08-27-2009, 11:22 AM
I did read recently that a defect in the filaggrin gene is now thought to be the cause of eczema. I saw you post something about that recently and thought it was an interesting theory. It certainly makes sense. One of the things our allergist said yesterday was that what we know about allergies right now may be very different than what we know in six months.