PDA

View Full Version : The Magazine Picture I Want My Daughter To See

shawnandangel
08-27-2009, 12:45 AM
Have ya'll seen this? I think it's great.

http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/blogs/vitamin-g/2009/08/on-the-cl-the-picture-you-cant.html

"I learned to love my body for how it is, every curve of it."

I would love to see more "normal" women in magazines.

AngelaS
08-27-2009, 06:30 AM
I like it! :D It's about stinkin' time!

wellyes
08-27-2009, 07:37 AM
So I saw the photo and thought "oh, nice, a real-life plus-size woman". Then I read and saw she's a size 12 model/belly dancer. I'm ashamed to admit it but even I have been totally sucked in by beauty & fitness magazine to forget what a normal, healthy body looks like!! Wow.

I think I'd better cancel my Shape subscription before DD gets old enough to understand. I kind of like it as a motivator but it's so absurdly unrealistic for so many of us. I'm a 16/18 and really, if/when I get to the size of that model in the picture I'll be thrilled.

SnuggleBuggles
08-27-2009, 07:42 AM
Too bad it was one model in the magazine. It's like it's a token gesture. The rest of the magazine still was and probably still will be filled with the traditional mode. I hate that. But, this was a great picture!

Beth

aa2mama
08-27-2009, 10:39 AM
I didn't realize that so much had come of this picture! When I saw it in the magazine, I loved it! Even showed it to DH. After two babies, my stomach is my "trouble spot". It was refreshing to see a beautiful woman without a six-pack.

AnnieW625
08-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Too bad it was one model in the magazine. It's like it's a token gesture. The rest of the magazine still was and probably still will be filled with the traditional mode. I hate that. But, this was a great picture!

Beth

:yeahthat:

I think I'd better cancel my Shape subscription before DD gets old enough to understand. I kind of like it as a motivator but it's so absurdly unrealistic for so many of us. I'm a 16/18 and really, if/when I get to the size of that model in the picture I'll be thrilled.

also you should check out Oxygen magazine it's a great exercise magazine for women,
http://www.oxygenmag.com/
(they still have skinny fitness models, but the exercises are really good)

Piglet
08-27-2009, 12:01 PM

Beth

I agree that it is a token, but everything starts somewhere and the overwhelming positive response is a good first step. In a similar vein, I always hated the Dove commercials about real women, not because I didn't like that they were using real women, but because it still smacked of hit you over the head marketing. "Buy our product because we have real people modeling" I just wish they would USE real people but not hit you over the head with the fact these are "REAL", like it is SO rare and they are SO much better than the competition. Eventually though, I turned around and saw that the shock factor had died down and what was left was just what they had intended - real women modeling without the hit you over the head attitude.

kijip
08-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Crystal Renn is another size 12 model that has made a little splash, she also wrote a book about dropping to 95 pounds so she could walk the runways.

http://www.stylelist.com/blog/2009/08/24/exclusive-plus-size-model-crystal-renn-talks-to-stylelist-about/

http://models.com/model_culture/tales_model/crystal_renn/intro.html

american_mama
08-27-2009, 10:41 PM
I like the picture but nearly choked when I first heard her described as a plus-size model. I thought calling her that was the news in and of itself since it seemed so transparently false and I didn't realize until the link that she really is considered plus size. In what universe? Aren't the plus size models for Lane Bryant and Just My Size pantyhose considerably larger than that?

From what I can tell, this woman is a normal weight, with strong thighs and maybe some tummy flab - I say maybe because she, after all, only 20 years old and is positioned in such a way that a lot of people would have a tummy even if they otherwise don't.