PDA

View Full Version : What crazy outfits has your DC gone to school/daycare wearing?

wendibird22
08-27-2009, 08:29 AM
I'd love to read what other people's DCs have self selected to wear or ended up wearing due to tantrum/running late/etc to school and/or daycare.

DD is only 25mos but now getting very vocal about what she does and does not want to wear during the day and at bedtime. A few months back she insisted on wearing socks with her Keen sandals and shorts. She looked like an old man. Today she insisted on wearing one blue sock and one white sock with her brown "pretty shoes" as she calls them. And she got a kick out of pointing out to DH which was the blue one and which was the white one. DH tried and tried to talk her into going with just white or just blue but she wasn't buying it. DH and I were just cracking up. What was even funnier is that DH pulled out white athletic socks and tan dress socks and asked DD which ones he should wear to work (he was wearing tan pants) and DD responded "the brown ones daddy" with a look on her face that said DUH!!!

I'm amazed at this young an age that not only does she care what she has on but that she clearly knows that she has on 2 different socks and this is not what's normal. Oh, and to make matters funnier...the DCP is taking her to the zoo today. Yup, my daughter's going out in public with 2 different colored socks. At least people will think DD is the DCPs child and not mine!!! LOL!

SnuggleBuggles
08-27-2009, 08:39 AM
PJs and a toy sword.
Buzz Lightyear costume with rainboots. No where near close to Halloween.

Beth

JTsMom
08-27-2009, 09:05 AM
I love the crazy outfits! Seriously, it is one of my favortie parts of these years, and I love that so many other people love it too. Jason is a huge fan of his frog rainboots. He has paired them with every outfit in his closet. :) He wore them yesterday and got at least 6 or 7 compliments.

He went through a hat phase- he'd wear a snowman's felt hat and say he was Sir Topham Hat, or this incredibly ragged straw cowboy hat, and believe me, the thing would barely qualify as a hat! LOL

He'd wear his Jack (from Jack's Big Music Show) costume months after Halloween. He likes to wear 2 different shoes, often on the wrong feet. 2 different socks is another popular one.

mariza
08-27-2009, 09:36 AM
nothing too crazy yet, DD is 4.5 and DS will be 3 on Tuesday. DS does love to wear 2 different colored crocs though. He can usually be seen wearing one red croc and a blue one on the other foot. No ammount of persuasion can get him to change it as much as DH tries. I, on the other hand embrace it and get a big kick out of it (as long as the correct shoe is on the appropriate foot!)

missym
08-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Thanks to one set of Little Mismatched Socks which no longer even fit her, Becca believes matching socks are so passe. We have 2 more years to convince her otherwise or she'll be wearing mismatched socks to Kindergarten. ;) She also loves sandals but insists on wearing socks with them - oh, and the socks must be pulled up to her knees, we can't cuff them. That makes for quite a look to start with.

This week, she's channeling Michael Jackson apparently. She's been wearing sunglasses every day plus ONE mitten. We don't watch commercial TV, so she evidentally came up with this fashion idea on her own. Add that to the sandals and mismatched, knee-high socks with shorts.... you get the idea. :tongue5:

HIU8
08-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Today DS went to daycare in his little kickers shirt (soccer class) and his batman dark knight mask. DD went in shorts and a top with a tutu b/c she wanted to dance. Not to crazy yet....

AnnieW625
08-27-2009, 10:47 AM
DD has been delivered to daycare in two piece pjs that could really pass as top and bottom and hasn't been changed out of them. DH is color blind so I usually try leave outfits out for him otherwise DD might end up in a purple top, red shorts, and pink crocs!

newnana
08-27-2009, 11:03 AM
This list could take me ages. But I'll stick with just a few:

1. She was an infant and DH was in charge while I was out of town for work. The day I came home, I picked her up at daycare and was about in tears from mommy guilt from being gone so long. But then I looked at her and started to crack up. Meniacal laughter. DH had picked this adorable carters overall outfit to put on her and put it on backwards. Shirt backwards, overalls backwards. The whole thing. School didn't get it, but kept it that way knowing my husband and thinking it was a joke. Nope. He just didn't know how it went on. Naturally, I took pictures of her crawling around looking like that.

2. Pirate week at school (DC). DD insisted that she was supposed to dress like a pirate every day. We do have 2 pirate costumes, but only 2. She was the only kid that dressed up, but all the other kids were definitely into it and wanted to know why they couldn't. Taking my little pirate to the grocery store with hat and hook and full regalia garnered many complements.

3. And then there are just our normal days. My favorite days. Yesterday she decided that she was going to snow ski camp. She's never been to camp. She's never been skiing. It's August and 99 degrees. Shorts, t-shirt, cow rubber boots, winter striped hat, random belt over her clothes, shades, and gloves. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this phase.

And DH is appalled, which makes it even better.

elliput
08-27-2009, 11:22 AM
I can't remember if she wore any crazy outfits to daycare (it's been a while), but yesterday I really thought she was going to want to wear her unicorn costume to school. Luckily, her personality is such that I can still dictate what she is wearing.

mommylamb
08-27-2009, 12:43 PM
My DS is 24 months now, and for at least the last 3-4 months has insisted on wearing yellow every day. Most of his wardrobe is now yellow. I do dress him in other colors from time to time, but he cries when I force the issue. He has yellow crocs that he wears every day. He is now trying to get me to feed him on a yellow dish every day (we have plastic kid dishes in various colors from ikea)... yellow bib... it's totally out of hand. I don't know how this came about.

bubbaray
08-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Today, DD#1 went in her Sleeping Beauty dress up costume (with regular clothes underneath), complete with crown.

MontrealMum
08-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Maybe DS is going to hit this phase later, I don't know. My major problem is with DH, not DS. DH does the wake-up, dressing, and daycare drop-off, and poor DS has been sent in some pretty wacky outfits courtesy of DH...Hanna zipper pjs, a romper UNDER overalls - the romper was longer and stuck out the bottom, nice - and lots of backwards sweaters and tops. Even though I lay the outfit out the night before it doesn't always help.

niccig
08-27-2009, 02:08 PM
I don't do the clothes fight. As long as it's appropriate for the weather, DS can wear it.

We do mismatched socks all the time.

Snow boots in CA in the winter.

Bob the Builder pants/shirt and then the toolbelt and hard hard - this is his outfit for errands to the hardware store. We just got a legloland construction workers vest. He had me write "LOWES" on paper and stick it to the back of his vest. We went to his new school to drop off paperwork and he wore his vest, hardhat and play googles on top of the hard hat, and then we went to the grocery store dressed like that.

oneplustwo
08-27-2009, 02:20 PM
DD definitely had an interesting period when she was 3 and going to preschool. I vividly recall the day she insisted she was going to wear a turtleneck and thick ribbed tights and mary janes. No skirt, no pants, no bottoms at all, just . . . tights. And the turtleneck reached just to the hips, so no chance it could pass for a short dress or anything. When we got to school, I pulled the head teacher aside to let her know that DD had decided to wear this outfit herself and I was just going with the flow. Head teacher cracked up, thought it was great, and by the end of the school day, none of the other teachers had even noticed.