PDA

View Full Version : Celebrities and their weight loss claims!!

mom2binsd
08-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Just a little vent, not enough for the Bitching post!

On the cover of OK magazine is Sherri Sheperd from the VIEW- who I think is very funny and has done a great job losing weight this summer- she looks great and is much healthier...but if SHE'S A SIZE 6- well.....the article states she is 5'2 and 157, she is down 41 lbs, awesome....but I"m just under 5 feet and about 138 and there is no way I'm a size 6....I am comfortably a 10....wish I weighed less but haven't been motivated.

They make such a big deal about sizes...she's healthier and hopefully will continue to eat and exercise and inspire someone...but I think when they seem to skew the numbers that it taints it all. (yes this is a tabloid type magazine not the New England Journal of Medicine but it was what I was reading last night while sitting at dance class!)

Thanks I needed to get that off my chest and DH could care less.

pb&j
08-27-2009, 01:39 PM
I saw that as well - I'm 5'2" and 120 lbs, and a 6. No way can someone who is nearly 40lbs heavier than me fit into my clothes. Size 6 in shoes maybe, but not in clothing. Good for her for losing weight and being healthier - so what's the big deal if she's an 8, 10, or 12?

kayte
08-27-2009, 01:42 PM
I hear you...

But also you have to remember the higher end lines of clothes tend to run much bigger per size. Oprah used to talk about how she would get hate mail calling her a liar about being a size 8 and 170 pounds. She showed on air that the clothes she wore were that size.

ILoveLucy
08-27-2009, 01:43 PM
That's so funny. I got that magazine this week and said the exact same thing when my husband brought the mail in. There is no way on earth she is a size 6, I don't care what her height is or how the weight is distributed--just no way. I used to work in a high-end clothing boutique and am pretty good at eyeballing someone's size, and it isn't possible.

I thought Us magazine had all the tabloids beat with their downright obsession with the weight and size and diet of celebrities, but OK is giving them a run for their money.

HIU8
08-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Ok, now I'm bummed....I'm 5'2" and just under 120 lbs and I can barely fit into a size 8 in pants. I'm a 10 now (and I have to say really really bummed b/c pre DS I was 5 lbs lighter and a size 6). I know it's just the way my body is now after 2 kids, but I'm finding it very hard to buy clothes now--I'm just not used to how clothes now look on me and what type of style/cut would look the best--b/c what used to no longer does.....

egoldber
08-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Yeah, that makes no sense. I'm 5'1 and when I am in good shape and 125-130 (not flabby, but toned, but I never seem to get below 125) I wear a 6. Right now I'm pretty flabby and clinging to my 8s trying not to slide back into 10. Sigh.

KrisM
08-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Hmm. I don't know this person and haven't seen her. But, I'm about 5'4" and 185 lbs and am a size 10 easily and an 8 is tight, but I can get them on. Someone 30lbs lighter than me could be a size 6, it seems.

AnnieW625
08-27-2009, 01:54 PM
My Grandma is 5'1 and maybe 120lbs and is a size 4 or a size 6. She buys 98% of her clothes from Talbots so I kind of have a hard time believing that Sherri is a true 6 but yeah maybe she has found some trendy designer to make her clothes in a size that she really isn't. I haven't really dabbled in high end clothes, but I with the few that I have like BCBG (not the girls line) I was the same exact 8 or 10 that I was in Ann Taylor, and J Crew depending on the cut of the pant/skirt/dress. I always thought most designer stuff ran small.

HMM, Kris where do you get your clothes?!

I am 5'6" and at my heaviest weight which I am embarrassed to say is over 170 and I wear a solid 12 most of the time these days. I am in pretty good shape and tone, but most of the weight is in my butt and a little left over tummy from DD and preg. 2 this past spring. I know I am not nearly as shapely as I would be 20lbs less but I don't look fat either so I am grateful for that. Petites must run big or something because unless it's a jersey dress I can't wear a 10 anymore in almost anything.

niccig
08-27-2009, 01:55 PM
I wonder if it's the cut of clothes. I'm 5' 3" between 130-135 lbs and I have Ann Taylor Loft size 6 in their curvy cut of pants. In their regular cut, I'm an 8. At other stores, an 8 is too tight.

Or maybe they replace the tags with something different, so she thinks she's in a smaller size.

sentini
08-27-2009, 01:59 PM
It's all about fat/muscle ratio ladies. If someone works out with a knowledgeable athletic trainer, the "correct way" 5-6 times a week, their fat ratio will decline drastically. Muscle takes up much less space than fat. Therefore, athletic & muscular people are 5'2" fitting in size 2-4 at 120lbs and less athletic people are 5'2" fitting in size 8 at 120 lbs...

Please don't take it the wrong way. That's just how it is...

giavila
08-27-2009, 02:11 PM
i'm 5'3 and 145 and I just bought jeans from the Gap last week that are size 6.. they are not "butt tight" either.. they fit comfortably. It just depends on the brands.. I agree more expensive brands are not really true to size most of the time.

ohiomom1121
08-27-2009, 02:12 PM
I was thinking the same thing when I read that...no way. I'm sure a ton of her weight is in her chest but still, she didn't look anywhere close to a 6. (And there's no way she wears a 6 in shirts!!!) Good for her on the weight loss though, she looks much healthier now. Every time People does that half their size article and people claim to be smaller sizes than what they look like, there's a ton of people who write in the next month saying they don't buy it.

vonfirmath
08-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Sometimes I'm a size 16 and sometimes I'm a size 18 and sometimes I'm a size 20.

I'm not going to call someone a liar cause they have found clothes at the smaller end of the scal that fits them. I remember how thrilled I was when those size 16 pants fit me the best (I even went up a size to make sure I was not fooling myself)

g-mama
08-27-2009, 02:18 PM
I am 5'2" and between 135-140 pounds. (Ugh..last year I was 128 lbs and felt a million times better but am I doing anything about it? No.) Anyway...I am in size 8 and some of those are even tight. I am not in good shape and my tummy is flabby which, I agree, makes a huge difference. If my tummy were tight, I could probably wear a size 6 but it's the waistline that kills me.

If I weighed 157, I would be a size 12.

elektra
08-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Have you looked at her picture though? Her boobs are ginormous and her waist/hips are tiny. I bet she could be a size 6 on the bottom. Top?- no way.

Pennylane
08-27-2009, 02:32 PM
I saw the same article and thought the same thing! Although I know that clothes fit everyone different. I am 5'4, 125 and wear a 6 or an 8 depending on the brand. My BFF is 5'7 and 159 and wears the same thing!

I think what bugs me the most about the celebrities and weight loss is as soon as they lose a few pounds they throw on their bikinis and start screaming about how great they look. Then 6 months later they are usually back to their normal size. So annoying!

Ann

AngelaS
08-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Funny thing but if I could afford a trainer and had someone else prepare and deliver all the food to my home, I bet losing weight would be a LOT easier..... (okay, not the working out part--but the meal prep alone would be HUGE!)

And I'm convinced that big boobs weigh a LOT. I'm thinkin' like 20lbs a side....

jenmcadams
08-27-2009, 03:31 PM
i'm 5'3 and 145 and I just bought jeans from the Gap last week that are size 6.. they are not "butt tight" either.. they fit comfortably. It just depends on the brands.. I agree more expensive brands are not really true to size most of the time.

It's interesting to see the ranges...you and I have almost identical height/weight...I'm 5'3 and range from 140-145. I'm pretty fit, but have a significant stomach pooch (somewhat due to a diastisis and somewhat due to just too much beer:)) and I fluctuate between 8 on a skinny day and 10s.

arivecchi
08-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Funny thing but if I could afford a trainer and had someone else prepare and deliver all the food to my home, I bet losing weight would be a LOT easier..... No kidding. If I had that kind of help, I'd be down to a size 0. :hysterical: I'm 5'6" and 130-32 pounds right now and wear size 4 and 6 bottoms right now. I'm small on top, so I can wear size 2s. Pre-preggo weight of 122 and used to be a size 2-4 bottom then.

Octobermommy
08-27-2009, 03:46 PM
I am about 5'3" and at that weight I was about a 12. Low 140s I could do an 8/10. A size 6 would be less than 130.

TwinFoxes
08-27-2009, 04:01 PM
I hear you...

But also you have to remember the higher end lines of clothes tend to run much bigger per size. Oprah used to talk about how she would get hate mail calling her a liar about being a size 8 and 170 pounds. She showed on air that the clothes she wore were that size.

What high end clothes are these? Seriously, I lived in LA, have been shopping on Melrose, on South Robertson and in Beverly Hills, and many other places, and I can tell you those sizes run smaller. There's a reason why starlets are so skinny, it's so they can fit into clothes. Those stores don't mess around, they don't even stock anything bigger than an 8. I was not an 8, but I had friends who were 8 and smaller in normal stores who had to squeeeeze into clothes at the boutiques. I am considerably taller than Oprah, and weighed less than 170, and there wasn't anything for me to try on except shoes.

If I was a label giving clothes to Oprah (I'm sure she gets them for free) I'd sew a size 8 label into a specially made size 12 outfit and enjoy the publicity of having her wear them on air. ;)

MartiesMom2B
08-27-2009, 04:08 PM
It's all about fat/muscle ratio ladies. If someone works out with a knowledgeable athletic trainer, the "correct way" 5-6 times a week, their fat ratio will decline drastically. Muscle takes up much less space than fat. Therefore, athletic & muscular people are 5'2" fitting in size 2-4 at 120lbs and less athletic people are 5'2" fitting in size 8 at 120 lbs...

Please don't take it the wrong way. That's just how it is...

Yep, what she said. I am 5'6" and can fit easily into a size 8 at 168 lbs when I work out 5-6 times a week. Since the beginning of the year I've only lost 15 lbs, but when I started I was a size 14.

giavila
08-27-2009, 04:11 PM
It's interesting to see the ranges...you and I have almost identical height/weight...I'm 5'3 and range from 140-145. I'm pretty fit, but have a significant stomach pooch (somewhat due to a diastisis and somewhat due to just too much beer:)) and I fluctuate between 8 on a skinny day and 10s.

yeah it definitely just depends on where you "carry" the weight. I'm nursing so my boobs are definitely way bigger right now and my legs are more muscular so that weighs more.. I bought size 8 pants after I gave birth a few months ago and I can't wear them now.. they are way too baggy on the waist and butt.

KrisM
08-27-2009, 04:47 PM
HMM, Kris where do you get your clothes?!

I have Gap jeans from this past winter that are 10s and fit nicely. Shorts and capris are from Target and Gap and are 10s and are really too big.

I will say I have a lot of muscle on my legs. I do need to lose this baby weight and that's mostly in my stomach. But, if I lost 30 lbs, I'd be pretty slim looking for my build and muscle. My lowest adult weight was about 150 and I was thin looking then.

SnuggleBuggles
08-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Are we talking pants or dress sizes? I'm 5'2" and 128lbs and wear an 8 pants most of the time. But, I can wear a size 6 and sometimes smaller in dresses.

Beth

AnnieW625
08-27-2009, 06:51 PM
I have Gap jeans from this past winter that are 10s and fit nicely. Shorts and capris are from Target and Gap and are 10s and are really too big.

I will say I have a lot of muscle on my legs. I do need to lose this baby weight and that's mostly in my stomach. But, if I lost 30 lbs, I'd be pretty slim looking for my build and muscle. My lowest adult weight was about 150 and I was thin looking then.

Thanks for the response! The least I have ever weighed was 139 when I was in college and working out for 1+ hr a day four to five days a week and walking about 3 miles a day to and from class and that was pretty darn skinny looking for me (I actually tried on the bikini I wore that year and it still fits, but I wouldn't wear it in public! last time I wore it was the summer I got pregnant with DD). 151 or so is my ideal weight although I can get as high as 160 and look almost as skinny as I do at 150, so it must all be about the body build.

Gap stuff didn't fit me well this year because the waist was too big in the pants that fit me good in the butt. The 10s/12s were too tight and the 14s were way too big:(

gatorsmom
08-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Hmm. I don't know this person and haven't seen her. But, I'm about 5'4" and 185 lbs and am a size 10 easily and an 8 is tight, but I can get them on. Someone 30lbs lighter than me could be a size 6, it seems.

Now, see, life is just not fair. I'm 5'4" and 140lbs and I couldn't get a size 10 pant on to save my life. I just went shopping a week ago because I lost 10 lbs this summer and was trying stuff on to see my size. Never got smaller than a 12 in pants. Maybe in a month, if I can keep to my diet.

megs4413
08-27-2009, 09:52 PM
i thought she was quoted as saying she was wearing a 10 in tops and a 6 in bottoms? that seems possible to me....she's sorta top heavy, y'know?