PDA

View Full Version : SAHM: when did you start to send your DC to full time preschool?

moonsky
08-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Majority of pp who responded to another thread in this topic are working moms. So, I think I should ask other SAHMs too as I am one as well.

DC#1 is 3 yr old and DC#2 is 1 yr old. We will TTC for DC#3 this fall. DC#1 has been in the half-day daycare TTh. They have art/music/play activities at the daycare. It is actually one for 2 yrs old and up. He will start preschool this fall M-F afternoon class. He is still napping in the afternoon. So, if I still keeps him in the daycare in the morning, he won't be able to nap in the afternoon when preschool starts.

He plays well with DC#2 but I think he has more funs with his friends at daycare. My concern is him being to tired or overwhelmed. WWYD? Any experience to share?

g-mama
08-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Hmmm....I don't really understand the question. I am a SAHM, so I don't put my kids in full-time preschool. Mine have gone to preschool starting at age 3 from 9:30-1, three days a week. When they are 4, they go four days a week, 9:30-1.

Are you saying that he will go to daycare in the morning and then to preschool in the afternoon?

Re: napping, are you weaning him from his nap so he can handle afternoon preschool?

niccig
08-27-2009, 02:15 PM
My advice is to try it and if it doesn't work you can change your mind. You can always try it and if you need to decrease the time, drop the mornings.

DS started MWF preschool at 2 y 9 months, it was mornings only. He wanted to stay longer to play with friends, so when he was 3 yo 9 months, we increased it to MWF 9-4. They still nap at school though. Now, he's 4yo 8 months and off to pre-K at a different school and it's M-F 8.45-2.45pm with an hour of rest time. I think he will be tired, so we're not doing any after school activities.

Some people have told me that his new schedule would be too much for their child - they were doing a Mummy Drive By as upset DS isn't going to the local public school like their kids. But other kids do more at a younger age and are fine. So, it really does depend on your family and on your child.

egoldber
08-27-2009, 02:18 PM
I'm also not sure I understand. I thought you were talking about an afternoon preschool in the other thread.

My older DD (I was a SAHM until recently) went 2 days a week (9-1) at age, 3 days a week (9-1) at age 3 and 5 days a week (9-1) at age 4. She did half day K. So her first time full day experience was in first grade.

It is unusual here for a SAH parent to send their child to full day school before K or 1st.

ETA: My youngest started in 2 days a week at age 2, but when I started job hunting, I moved her to 5 days a week. Honestly, I thought that was easier on all of us than the 2 days a week. In retrospect, I would do 3 days a week and have no qualms about a 5 day a week half day program.

rlu
08-27-2009, 02:35 PM
I work in the office and at home, for 30 hours a week, so I consider myself both a working and stay-at-home mom. Maybe others would view that differently, whatever.

Although I worked at the office a few days a week, my folks watched DS whenever needed, so we didn't need preschool as a daycare.

DS went to preschool at 3.5 for three days a week 9 - 12. He could have gone 5 days, we decided 3 was enough for social interaction and "enrichment" and was affordable.

DS went to pre-K at 4.5 for three days a week 1 - 4. It was only offered those three days. No naps at school. We had the option of doing pre-school in the morning but decided against it as we figured time with his grandparents was more important. Starting last April (so April - June) DS started going into the preschool class around 10:30 and staying through their lunch period and pre-K. Not exactly all day, but he experienced a longer school day and also the whole lunch experience.

Over the summer DS went to summer school at his preschool from 9 - 1 for four days a week, so close to full day and included eating lunch at school. That was great prep for K.

DS is now in full day K (only school district in our county that was able to keep full day K) and seems to be handling it fine. He is hungry and grumpy when he gets out, but when we get home we watch a Schoolhouse Rock video & eat snack and he is ready to go again after that. He's almost 5.5 now.

eta: I didn't really answer the question, did I? Truth be told, I don't remember when DS gave up naps so I can't help there. As our preschool was mornings only, napping was done in the afternoon (since DS was an afternoon napper once he dropped to one nap anyway that worked out.)

Pennylane
08-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Are you talking about full time daycare or a preschool program? Where I live, most of the preschools just run 1/2 a day. Some of the daycare centers offer what they call preschool in the morning but the afternoon is pretty much daycare, naps, play, etc.

My dc have been going since they were 3, first 2 days, then 3, now 5. The hours are only 9-12:15 though.

Ann

AngelaS
08-27-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm a full time SAHM and I've never sent my kids to any preschool program. :)

SnuggleBuggles
08-27-2009, 02:45 PM
I sent ds1 whn he was 3. 3 had been the age to do it, in my mind.

Ds2 is starting in a few weeks and he will not even turn two till Dec.. He is doing 2 short morning/ week. I can't believe how much my feelings have changed on preschool these past years. I remember being a bit judgmental when a friend started her ds, same age as my ds1, in preschool before he was 2. I think I am now just comfortable with preschool and feel like it will work well for both s and I.

Beth

fivi2
08-27-2009, 02:46 PM
I also am not sure I understand the question...

I stay at home. My girls are around 3y 9m and will start preschool for the first time in a couple weeks - 2 days a week for 4 hours each day (9-1). I originally intended to wait another year, but then we got two spots on the only wait list we were on, so I couldn't pass it up. Next year (at 4y 9m) the plan is either 3 or 4 half days, even though kinder here is all day every day. We have many things to fill our time outside of preschool and honestly cannot afford much more right now. (no judgment for those who start sooner, this is just what works for us! :) )

However, I have no idea what I would do if I had a younger dc at home. And, of course, if I were working things would be different. Your child's temperment plays a big role also.

Sorry if I am reading too much into it, but you seem to be asking what is the "right" thing to do. I don't think there is one answer to that. In a good facility, children can be perfectly fine and happy all day every day. In a bad facility, any amount of time is too much, imo. I think you need to look at the demands on your time, your finances, whether or not you want your dc at home or whether you need to concentrate on your baby and pregnancy. We can't really make those decisions for you!

JBaxter
08-27-2009, 02:47 PM
we did preschool at age 3 -- 2 mornings a week and 4 we started 3 mornings but went to 5 after a month

Corie
08-27-2009, 02:51 PM
I am a SAHM.

Both my kids started preschool at age 3. My daughter went 2 days a week
and then the next year, I bumped her up to 3 days a week. Her preschool
was from 9am-noon.

My son started going at 3 days a week for the first year and he is staying
at 3 days a week this year. He goes in the afternoon. He goes from 12:15-
3.15pm.

My kids won't be in full-day school until first grade.

KpbS
08-27-2009, 03:10 PM
DS1 went 1 d/wk right before turning 3. Then he went 2d/wk for the next year and a half. We aren't going to do full-time preschool. It is fine for some families but wouldn't be a good fit four ours.

kristenk
08-27-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm a SAHM. DD started preschool at 2.5yo and went T/Th from 9-11:45. The next year, she went T from 9-noon and Th from 9-2:45. At 4.5yo, she went M/T/W/F from 9-noon and Th from 9-2:45.

LexyLou
08-27-2009, 06:11 PM
My kids start preschool at 2. DD1 went three mornings a week from 9:15-11:30. Then at 3 she did 3 mornings from 9-12:30. Now at 4, she's doing 5 days 9-1pm.

DD2 is starting the 2 yr old program this year. We're moving back from NJ to San Fran Bay Area so she's going to a different school and they only do 9-1 regardless of age (which I think is wayyy to long for a 2 year old) so she's only going 2 mornings a week.

My kids go to Jewish pre-school (temple in NJ and now the JCC in CA). I've found that the Jewish pre-schools all start at 2 years old.

I don't think it's necessary to do a 2 year old program but my girls really enjoy it.

pastrygirl
08-27-2009, 06:18 PM
I don't know of any full-time preschools around here. If there are any, it's called daycare, not preschool...

I'm a SAHM and my 3-year-old will be going two days a week, for 2.5 hours each of those days. The 4-year-old program moves up to three days a week, still just the mornings.

Gena
08-27-2009, 07:01 PM
My son started theraputic preschool at age 2. He went 4 days a week for 3 hours a day, first through Early Intervention and then through the public school district. After school we did 2-3 hours of at home therapy. Additionally he had private speech and OT. He was one busy little guy!

KrisM
08-27-2009, 07:39 PM
I am a SAHM.

DS1 started preschool a age 3 and went 2.5 hours a day twice a week. At 4, he went 3 hours a day, 3 days a week. He's 5 now and starting all day every day kindergarten in a couple weeks.

DD is 3 and is starting preschool next month. We are using the same school as DS1, but a different class as her needs are different. She'll go 2.5 hours a day twice a week and 3 hours once a week. So, Mon and Wed morning and Friday afternoon. Next year, she'll go 4 afternoons a week.

DS2 will likely start at age 3 as well.

megs4413
08-27-2009, 09:49 PM
I think the answer depends on your family's unique situation and your child's specific needs.

for us, DD has not done any preschool up to this point. she's starting this fall in pre-K two days a week from 9-1. if that goes well and a spot opens up, we'll move her to 3 or 5 half days. she has a high social need and being at home full time is not working out for her any more. my plan for DS will center around his specific needs....my guess is he won't start anything until he's 4 and then it will be 3 days a week. we won't do full day school for either of them until 1st grade. it's my preference that they not be so overscheduled (i think 7 hours is an awful lot for a little kid), so we're avoiding full days as long as possible.

your issue is that he'd be full day two times a week, right? i think you have to consider your kid specifically as to whether or not he can handle that. mine could not....i'm sure of that.

Karenn
08-27-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm a SAHM.

My kids went for 2 hours 3 days a week at ages 3 &4

At age 5 (spring and fall birthdays) both of them went (will go) to preschool for 2 1/2 hours 4 days a week.

At age 6, DS went all day for kindergarten. DD will probably go 2 1/2 hours 5 days a week for kindergarten when she is 6 and then all day for first grade when she is 7. (I thought all day Kindergarten might have been overkill for DS, which is why we may not go that route for DD.)

smilequeen
08-27-2009, 10:54 PM
I am a SAHM full time right now. Typically I work 2 days a week.

DS1 went to preschool for 3 full days for 2 years. This year we moved and I switched him to a Montessori school which is 5 days a week. B/c it's his 3rd year of p/s and K is 5 full days I put him in their half day plus program...2 half days (8-11) and 3 full days (8-3). I thought it would help with the transition to all day K next year. So far, just the 5 days a week has been an adjustment, so we'll see if I keep him in the program or switch him to half days. My little one is 2 and is in the toddler montessori program 3 half days. Next year he'll do the 5 half days of preschool. He'll only have 2 years of preschool, so I'll just see how it goes for his 2nd year.

I'm a big believer in preschool for my kids. They have an introverted mom who needs more alone time than some other more extroverted moms might need and they also need the social interactions that I'm not so great at. You can teach them all of these things at home, but I have learned so much from their teachers (there is not a good teaching bone in my body) to help us out at home :)

jacksmomtobe
08-27-2009, 11:30 PM
DS started preschool at 3.5 years and went M,W &F from 9-11:30 then in March they had one day a week where they stayed an extra hour. The next year he went M-F from 8:45 -12 then in November that year they had one day where they stayed until 1. He will start K in a wk and 1/2 and that will be 2 Full Days and 3 Half which is the only public option where we live.

DD will start the same school this September at 3 yrs 1 mo. The programs will be the same for her as the school has a 3 Day program for kids 2.9 yrs - 3.0 yrs as of Sept then a 5 Day program for kids 3.9 - 4.9 years as of Sept

kedss
08-28-2009, 08:23 AM
I'm an SAHM with 2 kids, my son started 3 day preschool(9-11:45) at 3.5 years, and at 4.5 years went M-F from 9-2ish, since he went to "lunch bunch" every day. It was a co-op preschool, and i helped with lunch bunch twice a week, as well as work my co-op hours, with my DD who is now 14 months. I did this so he would be ready for his 8-3 Kindergarten hours that he started this week.

He really loved being with his peers, and his teachers were able to help him use his words more and more clearly than I could have on my own.

If you think he can do preschool, I would do it. :)

BabyMine
08-28-2009, 08:35 AM
I am a SAHM

DS1 started at age 2.3 and went T and TH from 9-1.
At age 3 he started M-F 9-1.
At age 4.3 he started VPK but his total hours are 8-6. He absolutely loves it. It was a hard decision to send him so long but I thought I would try it in the beginning. He comes home every day telling me how much he loves it. It may be long for some kids but for our family it works.

kayte
08-28-2009, 09:10 AM
DD will start preschool next week (she is 3 and 8 months). She will attend 2 mornings a week.

We think we will send her 3 days next year but don't know how it will go since this is our first experience.

Our school offers preschool class options of 2, 3 or 4 days (no Fridays) and either 1/2 or full days. The class is 3, 4 and some young 5's. It seems to me from the orientation meeting that the majority of those staying until 3 oclock are either 5 or have older siblings at the school, so the parents don't have to drive to school at 9, 12 and 3.