PDA

View Full Version : Do you have any first day of school traditions?

Bens Momma
08-27-2009, 02:29 PM
I know some of your DCs have already started school, and others will over the next week or so. DS will be in school for a full day for the first time starting next week....I have such mixed feelings! I'm excited for him as it's a milestone and he has an awesome teacher, but on the other hand he's nervous and I'm going to really miss having him around during the day. I know that's selfish on my part, but he's been my buddy and daytime companion for the last 6 years :hug: Anyway just wondering about first day traditions you have in your family. For preschool we've just taken a pic of DC in the morning before school wearing their backpack. I thought I might try to do something creative/cool for him when he gets home the first day. Looking for ideas, anyone care to share what you do?

R.
Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:

AngelaS
08-27-2009, 02:51 PM
We take first day of school pictures outside the front door every year and after school we make cookies to celebrate. :D

deannanb
08-27-2009, 02:53 PM
we also take pictures the first day of school -
in the recent issue of Family Fun - there was a mom who took pictures of her kids - and when they came home the pictures were hanging up in the window

SnuggleBuggles
08-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Picture and I used to do an interview on video. i think I'll have to do that again this year because the last one I have is from preschool- and it is just adorable!!

I'll make a special treat too.

The big tradition that I think we have started this year is a bunch of moms getting together for drinks and lunch on the 1st day. It was so much fun that I hope it continues in the future! :)

Beth

ourbabygirl
08-27-2009, 03:43 PM
No DC in school yet, but I would say a special (favorite) breakfast, picture in front of school, and note from you in a special lunch (sandwich w/cookie cutter shapes, etc.).
Good luck to both of you :tongue5:!

plusbellelavie
08-28-2009, 12:37 AM
We do the photos each year as well.

Plus as an extra treat DH arranges his schedule to be there for the first day of school since he is usually gone before they go the rest of the year.

When they get home they tell me about their day and I write it down in a special book we have...questions like what do you think of your teacher, who do you think will be your best friend/friends, who do you sit next too, what did you doing recesses, what did you eat for lunch, how did you feel, what do you hope to do/learn this year etc...and we put their handprint next to it and I write their ht and wt next to it. We end the big day usually with a pizza and most year DH has arranged to be home for that too.

We repeat the "tradition" of the questions and handprint on the last day of school as well.

This year my 2 oldest are entering 3rd and 5th grade next week and they have already taken the book down and looked over it and laughed about what they said would happen or how they felt the first day of school in comparison to what they said at the end of the year! They can't wait to do it again next week and my daughter asked if could add the baby's footprint to the book so he can be part of the fun which I thought was a great idea.

Hope this gives you some ideas!

thomma
08-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Daddy takes the morning off to drive them to school (which, in a way, is a hoot because I'm driving there myself for work). We do pictures in front of the house with backpacks. This year I want to add going out for ice cream after supper. I wish I could do the special meal but it's my first day of school too and I'm usually wiped out! :) I have trouble getting supper on the table during summer vacation never mind when I'm working. :p

I love the interview idea and will try to work that in.

Kim
ds&dd -6!

neeleymartin
08-28-2009, 02:26 PM
i teach...sooo...lots of coffee!!!! oh, and tylenol, too!!:jammin:

really can't wait to see my little guys at school. the first day gives me the butterflies.

personalities really start to shine (that's sarcastic) after about a week or so. true colors will emerge.