PDA

View Full Version : Dept store checkout encounter -WWYD?

Octobermommy
08-27-2009, 03:38 PM
I take my toddler to the mall today in the stroller. I have to do two things. It first ticked me off that I am big pregnant pushing a big stroller and no one would hold open the door for me. The saleslady was "helping" me, aka bothering me about opening a credit card and such but I did find something to buy then I couldn't find her when I was ready to purchase. I walked around the whole section then saw her checking someone else out. I walk around everything (with the big stroller) and get to the correct side of the counter. Another lady middle aged walked up to the wrong side of the counter a couple of seconds after me. After the saleslady was done she looked at me and said I am going to ring her up and then you will be next. I responded "no, I was here first", which I was and I am big and pregnant and have a toddler who is saying "bye bye, go on elevator" and it will be seconds before he melts down. She did check me out first, the other lady just said "we were here at the same time" to which I didn't really respond, I could have said that I went to the correct side, the one with the line or that I have a toddler on the verge of a meltdown but come on.

I am very courteous if someone looks like they need to go ahead of me. If I am without kids, I will let someone with young kids go in front. Have these people forgotten what it was like with a toddler? I know it isn't a big deal but it just makes me mad. I must look like I won't say anything or something b/c this has happened before. I just don't say anything b/c I usually don't care but I was in the mood to respond today.

I was really irritated at the saleslady

Am I crazy? WWYD?

elliput
08-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Crazy? No. The middle aged woman who walked up to the wrong side should have kept her trap shut about when she got there.

It is tempting in situations like this to want to let the other person go first just so that everyone gets to experience the wonders of a toddler meltdown. And to greet all the glares with a sweet smile that says "See, you should have let me go first. Maybe next time you will be nice to the pregnant lady with the toddler."

Laurel
08-27-2009, 05:39 PM
If I am alone, I always let the lady (or gentleman) with young children go first. Heck, even if I am with my kids I let someone with fussy kids cut in front of me in line.

saschalicks
08-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Um pregnant in the summer that's all I need to know to let you go first. Nevermind the toddler in the stroller. That lady had a lot of nerve. I'm peeved for you.

LexyLou
08-27-2009, 05:54 PM
People are jerks, plain and simple. I found when pregnant, that other woman were ruder then men. Men usually helped out, but woman were just rude.

bubbaray
08-27-2009, 05:55 PM
People are jerks, plain and simple. I found when pregnant, that other woman were ruder then men. Men usually helped out, but woman were just rude.

:yeahthat:

TwinFoxes
08-27-2009, 07:41 PM
I think you did everything right, including not responding to her.

So, um, what age do you call middle aged? Just wondering if I qualify. :)

Octobermommy
08-27-2009, 08:31 PM
So, um, what age do you call middle aged? Just wondering if I qualify. :)

She was in her mid 50s probably. No way you qualify!!

infomama
08-27-2009, 08:37 PM
What a selfish person. What goes around comes around, you know.

MontrealMum
08-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Me three, on that one.

I used to have that doormat look, or whatever it is that makes people think they can get away with that sort of thing. Since having DS I've gotten very vocal (sometimes, too much so!) and I don't take that kind of sh*t anymore. People are usually so surprised they either look away and try to pretend I'm not there, or give up. You were there first, are pregnant in the summer, WITH a toddler? No question about who was in the right in that situation.

Melbel
08-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Just today at the mall, I was PO'd when people did not bother to hold the two sets of doors while I am maneuvering a stroller. I try not to let stuff like that bother me, but some days are easier than others (especially while pregnant). Good for you for taking the high road. When people are discourteous, I just tend to think that they will have bad karma.

gatorsmom
08-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Everytime I was pregnant, I always felt the urge to speak my mind. Nobody really liked being around me when I was pregnant. Seriously, I made enemies.

I would have said what you said, with an added dose of guilt piled on that lady. Something to the extent of, "Well, maybe you wouldn't mind letting a very pregnant mom of a toddler go first this one time." What is wrong with the world?

I get soooo annoyed with the men who shove through the door and don't even think to hold it open for me when I"m pregnant. I get pure, evil pleasure from asking a man who is just about to let the door slam on me if he wouldn't mind holding the door for me. Everytime I've had to ask them to hold the door I get a very humble, apologetic look from them. And darn right!

I"m sorry that woman was so inconsiderate. I totally believe in karma. One day, when she's in a nursing home, some nursing assistant will leave her sitting on the toilet for an hour before he helps her off. :icon_twisted:

hellokitty
08-27-2009, 08:57 PM

Same experience here.

MamaMolly
08-27-2009, 09:20 PM
I think you handled it very nicely. I'd have been tempted to really let her have it!

That said, I also know that I've learned a lot from the ladies on here. I once read a BP thread about a mama with a potty training toddler who had to go to the head of a very long line at the ladies room. Honestly, before PTing DD I'd have not realized that little ones can't hold it like those of us with more...experience. ;) So maybe this self centered troll never was pregnant and maybe she never dealt with a toddler on the edge, so she thought since she was older then she ought to go first no matter what. But really, you are right either way, and handled it with a lot of class!

hillview
08-27-2009, 09:42 PM
She was VERY RUDE.

KARMA baby.

It comes around :)
/hillary

Hawkeyewife
08-28-2009, 06:58 AM
I hate being pregnant in the summer and going to the mall on top of that with a child is never fun. I have grown to not expect any help from anybody here and when my 4 and 6 yr olds are with me, I make them open the doors etc if we go to a mall (at least 90 minutes away so we don't go much). People are rude, I usually use events such as yours as a lesson for the children and make that lesson audible to the offensive people if possible.

Good Luck with the end of your pregnancy, it is HOT as heck here and sweat even as I walk out to get the mail during the day, much less grocery shopping, school drop off etc.

alien_host
08-28-2009, 09:09 AM
People are unbelievable, really. I think you handled it great!

It reminds me when I was like 8 months pregnant and riding the subway and no one offered me a seat. In fact several people "rushed" on to the car to sit down. I wan't going far and didn't need to sit but seriously, how does one push in front of a pregnant lady to get a seat? I was dumbfounded.

dukie41181
08-28-2009, 11:18 AM
I must say, I often wonder if people just lose all sense of what it was like to have small children!!!!!! This gets on my nerves so badly!!!! I would have been quite irritated too.

This gets me thinking of when people get offended/upset that we don't accept dinner invitations when they are going at 6:30/7pm. We have a 6 month old who is ready for bed at 7:30pm! Thanks for thinking of us, but seriously, don't be upset when we have to care of our child and it doesn't fit in your schedule!

All around, so frustrating! I vow to NEVER be one of these people!

connor_mommy
08-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Some people just have no clue, even moms with kids. They just think about themselves. This woman with an umbrella stroller cut of my 3 year old son while he was trying to head out of a bathroom door. I had to grab him from being run over by her. Then she had the nerve to ask me to hold the door open for her. I was going to give her a piece of my mind for trying to run over my son. Hey, if I can figure out how keep a door open and push my double stroller through while holding a child in my arms and not running anyone over, maybe she could too!

lizzywednesday
08-28-2009, 04:11 PM
I take it that I'll be incredibly thankful for automatic doors in April.

As more and more malls get up to ADA codes, though, I've noticed more and more doors with wheelchair switchplates, which are very useful when you've got your hands full ... and they can be set off by an elbow press rather than having to palm them like my old office's security doors.

Whenever I see parents with small kids out and about, I try my best to make things easier on them, whether it's holding a door for a mom with a stroller or giving up my spot in line to someone who needs it more (unless I am at the grocery store during the dinner rush and I am hungry & tired; then I am bitchy) ... but I am definitely sad that this happens all over the place, though.

Oh, and having witnessed a toddler meltdown (my poor niece was 19 months with absolutely no patience for the mall when I was wedding gown shopping with her, my older niece, my sister-in-law, infant nephew and mother-in-law) in a mall, I'm going to remember that more vividly from now on!

Octobermommy
08-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks for your replies! They made me feel normal again. I don't know what it is but I am not wanting to take stuff like that anymore, maybe it is the hormones or just getting older.