PDA

View Full Version : Need quick help- ground turkey the consistency of mashed potatoes?

gatorsmom
08-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Is this normal? I don't use ground turkey that often but the times I have I could make burgers just as if I used ground beef. But this time I'm using a different brand of ground turkey. When I squeezed it out of the tube, I was surprised to see it the right color but so ground that it's like it spent several minutes in the blender. It smells ok so I"m tempted to use it. But the recipe calls for grilling it and there's no WAY it would stay on the grill. It's the consistency of mashed potatoes. If I put it on the grill it'd just slip right through.

Is this normal? I think I'm going to try sauteing it and trying it on myself before feeding it to my family. So bummed- it looked like a recipe the family would like.

KpbS
08-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Yes, totally normal, sometimes it is ground an additional time when sold in tube like packages. You could probably grill it if you added some breadcrumbs but don't add any liquid seasoning like soy sauce etc. I often use it for a meat in a pasta sauce and throw in a bunch of veggies.

hth

gatorsmom
08-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Yes, totally normal, sometimes it is ground an additional time when sold in tube like packages. You could probably grill it if you added some breadcrumbs but don't add any liquid seasoning like soy sauce etc. I often use it for a meat in a pasta sauce and throw in a bunch of veggies.

hth

Thank you, thank you sooo much! I"m sauteing it now and it is looking very soupy and doesn't flip well but I'm so glad I can still eat it! I would really hate to throw it all away. Thanks again for your timely response!

DrSally
08-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Sounds like it was just ground *a lot* like pp said.'

BTW, I hate buying meat in tubes for some reason, but there's a lot of it around here.

heatherandlouis
08-27-2009, 10:46 PM
We use turkey like this for chili and it is great!

gatorsmom
08-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Thanks everyone, the turkey burgers actually turned out fine. They were really soupy at first and kinda messy to flip but they turned out juicy and flavorful. I bought the turkey in the tubes because they were on special and I needed 3lbs. I'll definitely make this recipe again.