PDA

View Full Version : More "green" questions..

giavila
08-27-2009, 07:29 PM
So I'm trying to eliminate plastics. The girls do have plastic toys, but not a ton and we do a lot of wood too. I'm really concerned about the plastic in our kitchen though. I'm getting rid of the plastic storage containers and getting glass, but what about plastic freezer bags? We buy meat from Costco and I usually separate it into smaller portions using the bags. How would I do this without plastic?

Also, is wax paper safe from toxins? How about foil? ahhh!!! so much to think about.

thanks in advance!!

wellyes
08-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Personally I only worry about kitchen plastics when heated - in the dishwasher (not handwashing) and in the microwave. For cold storage, not a health risk IMO.

AFAIK wax paper and parchment paper are fine. Some people will not use aluminum foil (though I don't know how "aluminum" that stuff really is) due to possibly links with Alzheimer's and other neurological diseases. The evidence is thin, the intial studies that raised fears have been disproven over and over. I do occassionally use aluminum foil for roasting / baking. Not a big deal to me.

FWIW my crunchy green friend who convinced me to throw out all my nonstick - VERY good idea, no regrets about that at all - has recently started being hesitant about using stainless steel due to heavy metal issues. I think that is going too far. You do have to weigh convenience vs risk. For me, the risks of plastics and nonstick outweigh the convenience. But I will not go so far as to eat raw or only use cast iron. I want to be safe but I also don't want to be so cautious (paranoid) that I will not use anything related to modern manufacturing!

MamaKath
08-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Agreeing with the PP. Glass for things that go in the microwave definitely. For the big bags of meat from Costco I often split them, wrap them in wax paper and then put all the wax paper packs in a big ziploc. The problem I run into is if dh thaws them, he forgets to put them in a dish; wax paper is not water proof!!! ;)

brittone2
08-29-2009, 10:58 AM
We buy grassfed beef in bulk and that is vacuum wrapped. I don't worry about it. I don't heat in it and the last time I checked those bags were pretty safe. I'll use ziplocks, but I just don't need them for that many things. I don't heat in them or defrost in the microwave.

I freeze lots of premade stuff (that I cook) in Pyrex and reheat in that a lot.

In the past I've wrapped some stuff in parchment paper (coated w/ silicone, which is currently thought to be safe and stable) and then bagged it. But I freeze in ziplocks so rarely it doesn't really bother me to do it without the parchment...so if i'm in the mood i use the parchment, if not I don't.

Wax paper is coated in plastic...usually petroleum derived. There are more natural waxed papers available if you want to go that route. (eta: for example: http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Select-Soy-Wax-Paper/dp/B0017Z2XHU ) Or parchment, like I mentioned, which is coated w/ silicone (we buy the unbleached parchment since that's what my co-op grocery carries). Silicone is thought to be safe and stable (as of right now ;) ). I don't use aluminum foil...I just don't find I need it for much. I cover w/ parchment or cook on parchment, which I prefer anyway. We use this: http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Supply-Inch-Natural-Parchment/dp/B00004RKG6

eta: I don't pay those prices...I can buy them cheaper from local stores.

MamaKath
08-29-2009, 11:16 AM
We buy grassfed beef in bulk and that is vacuum wrapped. I don't worry about it. I don't heat in it and the last time I checked those bags were pretty safe. I'll use ziplocks, but I just don't need them for that many things. I don't heat in them or defrost in the microwave.
Do you buy locally? We are trying to find bulk beef. Also good to know about the wax paper, hadn't thought of that, I will switch to parchment (which I also use, lol).

brittone2
08-29-2009, 11:21 AM
I do buy locally. We have a LOT of grassfed beef places here in NC...there's a big demand. The guy we buy from is 15 mins away (lives near my parents) and also sells fantastic eggs for less $$ than the other pastured egg places. I like that we visit the farm when we buy, etc. so we know exactly where everything is coming from. The farmer we buy from does not ship at this point in time, but I know of a place about 30-40 mins from me that does ship...however if you can find someone truly local and can save on the shipping that would bring down the cost (we pay about 3.50/lb for a half and closer to 4/lb for a quarter at a time, and that's ground beef, roasts, steaks, etc.).

http://www.baldwinbeef.com/shop/pc/home.asp

I assume you've checked http://www.eatwild.com/products/index.html

Good luck!

AnnieW625
08-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks for posting that Eat Wild link Brittone!

TwinFoxes
08-29-2009, 03:38 PM
You do have to weigh convenience vs risk. For me, the risks of plastics and nonstick outweigh the convenience. But I will not go so far as to eat raw or only use cast iron. I want to be safe but I also don't want to be so cautious (paranoid) that I will not use anything related to modern manufacturing!

I don't think I've ever read anything that more perfectly sums up how I feel!

edurnemk
08-29-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm jumpig in to add to the question. Anyone tried or heard of the Greenpans they sell at Crate and Barrel? They claim to be a safe non-stick but I'd like to make sure before buying one.