PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on buying appliances?

gordo
08-27-2009, 07:43 PM
We just bought a foreclosure that has no appliances. So we need to buy fridge, oven, dishwasher, washer and dryer. Any tips on where to go or how to get the best deal? Is Labor Day weekend a good time, or are there usually better deal after labor day? We will be closing Oct. 2nd.

SnuggleBuggles
08-27-2009, 07:45 PM
I am a fan of Sears. I like Kenmore things. I have gone to the scratch and dent Sears' warehouse but we found a better deal in the store b/c of a sale. I read Consumer Reports first so I can learn what I am supposed to be comparing and looking for features wise.

Beth

wellyes
08-27-2009, 07:46 PM
My only tip is don't skimp! My mom is always saying "oh they're ALL the same why waste money, get the cheapest one!" Finally she had to replace something, bought the cheapest refrigerator she could find........ and she HATES it. Doesn't even have a light in the freezer. You'll use these every day for years and years, get good stuff!!

And congratulations!

tiapam
08-27-2009, 08:59 PM
I would check the Sears appliance outlets if you are close enough. Many times the damage is on the side of an appliance and depending on your kitchen would be covered by a cabinet. Also, since you are buying so many at once, maybe you could get a volume discount. Don't forget to measure not only the space for the appliances but also any doorways they need to go through. We are happy with the Kenmore washer and dryer we purchased in the last year.

smiles33
08-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Congrats on your purchase! How exciting! In terms of researching specific brands, check out www.gardenweb.com. I love their message boards because you can ask general questions like "What features should I look for in my new dishwasher?" and people give specific replies. Once you know the brands/models you want, you can check out other sites like epinions.com and consumerreports.com.

In terms of where to buy, I agree with the PP's advice. I'd just add that while I'm not sure if the big box retailers offer volume discounts, Lowe's has a 10% off coupon you can get if you are moving. I think it's either on their website or on usps.com (when you register the change of address request there, they mail you confirmation and a bunch of coupons).

Congrats again and have fun shopping!

NancyJ_redo
08-28-2009, 01:20 PM
The government is doing a program similar to Cash for Clunkers, but for appliances. There's still no definitive date as to when it will be in effect, but I strongly recommend you check it out to see if you can align your appliance purchases with the program so you get money back. From what little I know, you don't have to turn in old appliances to be eligible for the cash, as was the case with C4C.

egoldber
08-28-2009, 01:29 PM
We like to buy floor models and last year's model clearances. Usually the same as this year's mode, but highly discounted. Ask for a discount. If you buy multiple appliances ask for a bigger discount. :) If they won't give a discount, ask for free delivery and set up.

Think about your needs for each appliance. I disagree that more expensive models are always better. Sometimes they only have extra features that you do not necessarily need or want. (A light in the freezer seems a bit of a skimp though. ;) ) I have simple needs for a washer and dryer. I only use a few settings on each. I don't mind manual dials vs electronic controls/touch pads. A simple dryer can be $350-$400, and I mean a quality name brand like Maytag.

Do you really need an icemaker in the door of a refrigerator? It adds a lot of cost and is another part to break. We are very happy to have an icemaker internal to the freezer and we get a ton more space in the door of the refrigerator.

For a dishwasher bring in your everyday plates, cups, bowls, mugs, and silverware. Make certain they actually fit in the racks. I can't tell you how many dishwashers I eliminate by virtue of the fact that my cutlery and dishware doesn't fit properly in it!

AnnieW625
08-28-2009, 01:42 PM
I am a fan of Sears. I like Kenmore things. I have gone to the scratch and dent Sears' warehouse but we found a better deal in the store b/c of a sale. I read Consumer Reports first so I can learn what I am supposed to be comparing and looking for features wise.

Beth
:yeahthat: I also like the Sears Warranty, we had to have the sensor repaired on our dryer and that cost the same as the warranty and the warranty covered the machine for another year so I had needed to get it fixed again I would've been able to get it fixed again. The Sears warranty is good for any appliance you buy there and I love that Sears employs all of their own people and don't send out sub contractors. You can find some great deals at Sears outlets too and we love the 1 year no interest thing too (yes we financed our washer/dryer..he he!)

This is the set we have; nice middle of the road and we really like it:
http://www.kenmore.com/shc/s/p_10154_12604_02648102000P?vName=Kenmore&cName=Washers+%26+Dryers&sName=Front-Load+Washers
http://www.kenmore.com/shc/s/p_10154_12604_02688042000P?vName=Kenmore&cName=Washers+%26+Dryers&sName=Dryers

The only downside is that without the pedestals the buttons are right at a toddler's eye level!