PDA

View Full Version : Flu/Swine Flu shot for pregnant women

fedoragirl
08-27-2009, 09:44 PM
If you're pregnant, do you plan to get either of these shots?
I've just heard all sorts of things about thimerosol (sp?) in the regular flu shot, and the swine flu shot not being tested well, that I am scared to get either of them. I do work in a school, so this doesn't get any easier.

Twoboos
08-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Not me, but SIL is maybe 10weeks or so along, and wondering the same thing. We talked about it and leaned heavily toward NO on the H1N1, b/c it's so new and from the sound of things will miss when they expect it to spike anyway. but knowing she travels (domestically) a lot, and hearing more about it recently, I am not so sure.

Will be looking forward to hearing from others, I meant to post this question for her! :)

HannaAddict
08-27-2009, 10:19 PM
I've had the regular flu shot twice with no ill effects while pregnant (I don't think I ever got it before being pregnant) and the mainstream medical literature has not found a problem with pregnant women getting the flu shot. I would wait to see what the clinical trials look like for the H1N1 shot, but if it looked safe and with the high risk of this sort of flu for pregnant women, I would strongly consider getting it after seeing how hard it hits pregnant women.

DebbieJ
08-27-2009, 10:23 PM
no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

moonsky
08-27-2009, 11:09 PM
I've just heard all sorts of things about thimerosol (sp?) in the regular flu shot, and the swine flu shot not being tested well,

Could you please tell me the source of this piece of info?

I thought all flu shots for preg women and kids under three are thimerosol free.

JBaxter
08-27-2009, 11:17 PM
I declined the flu shot when pregnant. They are so hit and miss with them being effective they didnt seem worth it to me.

becca_g
08-27-2009, 11:28 PM
Since I am pregnant, have asthma, and travel frequently for work, I am definitely planning to get both the regular flu shot and the H1N1 flu shot series (unless an unexpected, serious adverse event occurs during clinical trials that is felt to be related to the vaccine). Since I am in the healthcare field, I get the flu shot every year anyway.

Personally, I feel that the benefits of protecting myself from infection with the potentially serious/deadly H1N1 virus far outweigh any theoretical (and most likely less serious) vaccine risks, especially after hearing that another pregnant woman recently died from H1N1 in Florida. I have a strong medical background, but I am stating this solely as my opinion regarding my own health not as medical advice to anyone here on the board.

I certainly think it is good to be as informed as possible about your options and to be able to make the decision for yourself and your family. However, I also believe that it's important to have a discussion with your physician if you/your children fall into one of the groups recommended for vaccination and you are considering not getting the vaccine. After speaking with your physician, you may still decide against vaccination, but at least you will have more facts to be able to make an informed decision as well as a better frame of reference provided by your physician. Sometimes a little medical knowledge without the proper context/medical training can be dangerous even if you think you are doing what is best for you and your family. A little extra information before you make a final decision never hurts.

mominma
08-28-2009, 08:39 AM
I asked my ped. yesterday his thoughts about the H1N1 vac. yesterday and he said, "he would not be first in line, but would not be last either!"

He said he thought they were trying to get the vaccine out very quickly and he would wait to see results from the vac to make there are not many side effects, etc. If it seems to be effective without complications, he would recommend it. He said use a wait and see approach, which is what we were planning to do.

Claki
08-28-2009, 08:56 AM
I will get it if I can find somewhere offering a preservative-free version.

o_mom
08-28-2009, 09:04 AM
You may want to look at these recent threads:

Would you get the H1N1 vaccine if you were pregnant? (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=332809)

S/O If you were pregnant and a SAHM would you get the H1N1 vax? (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=332884)

Q? Do you plan to give the H1N1 Vax when it comes on the market? (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=331110)

Flu Shots....yes or no? (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=331456)

You can search on H1N1 for even more.

wendibird22
08-28-2009, 09:08 AM
I am considering it. I'm due 12/24 so I'll be in the late 2nd and 3rd trimesters for the 1st part of the typical flu season and I'll have a newborn throughout the 2nd half of the season (even though reports are saying H1N1 isn't really following the typical pattern of the flu season). DH works in an elementary school. I work very closely with college students and DD goes to a home daycare. So, we are all in the prime population for exposure. I did get the flu vax with DD1 and my understanding is that the H1N1 vax is supposed to be very similar in ingredients and how it's made to the regular flu vax and so they expect (but who knows!) the side effects to be similar.

DH and I have discussed this quite a bit and are trying to determine what risk is greater...the risk of potential side effects of the vax or the risk of the potential side effects/consequences of getting H1N1. It's really a coin toss IMO.

Aside from vax discussions we've also started discussing what our plan is should one of us get ill with flu like symptoms. DH said if he was sick, but not DD or me, he'd isolate himself in our master bed/bath or go stay at his parents. If DD gets sick he'll send me to stay at a hotel, the ILs, etc and he'll take sole responsibility for caring for DD so that I don't get exposed. And in all cases, we will get doctors appointments right away instead of waiting it out like we usually do. I'm glad that we have somewhat of a plan in place because I didn't want to end up in a situation where DDs sick and we are playing rock, paper, scissors for who's going to miss a week of work while in the moment.

nov04
08-28-2009, 09:47 AM
I had the flu shot with my dd2, but not with dd1 as I was already hospitalized by then and it wasn't offered, I think they were more worried about pih complications.

Since H1N1 is hitting pg women disproportionately high http://tinyurl.com/lthjxl
I would definitely get it if I were pg again. I have asthma and dd2 has already had pneumonia and a partially collapsed lung.