PDA

View Full Version : Vomiting in Baby

carolinamama
08-27-2009, 10:46 PM
DS2 is almost 11 months old and he is vomiting - I don't mean spit-up but huge, smelly vomit. When do I worry? He has been "off" for the last few days, but just seemed like he wasn't very interested in solids and poops were looser, but still only once or twice a day. Tonight we have scrubbed carpet, changed out his whole bed, he's had 2 baths, and I've had a shower and a good wipe-down. He is refusing to nurse, refusing any liquids by cup. He was very restless while I was holding him, but went right into his crib and went to sleep. This kid usually loves to nurse and cuddle.

I seriously have no experience with stomach bugs and need some guidance. DS1 has thrown up a grand total of ONE time in his almost 4 years. I am just so worried because he is so young.

Any advice? Do I camp out next to his bed tonight? I just sent DH out for Pedialyte just because I didn't know what else to do. You'd think I was new to this gig.

SnuggleBuggles
08-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Ds2 caught a stomach bug when he was 12mo. Also uncharted territory for me b/c ds1 had only gotten sick twice before that.

I'd get some of the Pedialyte pops since it sounds like he isn't willingly drinking much.

I think I would call b/c he isn't consuming fluids. My ds2 was still nursing regularly and drinking water so I just did my best to keep him comfortable. I wasn't worried about him otherwise.

I hope he feels better soon!

Beth

Clarity
08-27-2009, 11:07 PM
ITA - if your baby isn't drinking and hydrating, you should call the doctor, just to be safe.

catcombs
08-27-2009, 11:11 PM
Not to alarm you but I would definetly call your doctor. My DS1 got a bug and vomited and couldn't keep anything down and I ended up in the ER with him and they had to get him on an IV because he was dehydrated. You don't want it to come to that because it was an awful awful experience. I wish I had spoken to my doctor sooner in retropect.

carolinamama
08-27-2009, 11:16 PM
He nursed and ate (although less solid food than normal) okay today until this evening. And has had wet diapers all day. Not sure I'm going to sleep much, but I am going to watch it for now. Thanks for your quick replies.

carolinamama
08-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Not to alarm you but I would definetly call your doctor. My DS1 got a bug and vomited and couldn't keep anything down and I ended up in the ER with him and they had to get him on an IV because he was dehydrated. You don't want it to come to that because it was an awful awful experience. I wish I had spoken to my doctor sooner in retropect.

Ack. How long had he been vomiting? DS first vomited around 9:30-10:00 this evening.

bubbaray
08-28-2009, 12:34 AM
If he had wet diapers all day, I'd probably wait it out tonight and reassess in the morning. Its a tough call, though.

The protocol here is 5ml of pedialyte every 5 minutes, even with BF babies. You could try the pedialyte frozen pops, but I find the syringe is easier.

My DD#1 has had every fricken fracken stomach bug, and to top that off, also pukes whenever she gets a fever. Fun times. NOT.

Kitten007
08-28-2009, 02:26 AM
I would call the on-call nurse just to make sure you didn't have to take him in and see if she has any other suggestions for you. Better safe then sorry.