PDA

View Full Version : What's your "must have" thing to buy at Nordstroms?

Tammy
08-27-2009, 11:04 PM
I've never been to one before, but we're taking a short trip in October and we'll be right near one. I've heard several people say they love the store, so I'm wondering what do you love from there? Either for yourself or your DC or someone else??

jess_g
08-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Our Nordstoms just opened about 3 months ago so I have not been in that much but the shoe sections are my favorite. I love looking at all the styles that they have. I also love their kids collection. Its nice to see so many styles all in one place. Hope you enjoy your tip.

Jessica.

TwinFoxes
08-28-2009, 08:29 AM
I love Nordstrom, but since it's a department store things change a lot with the seasons/fashions etc. They have a great lingerie department. The kids section is actually pretty small, but they have a nice kids shoe department where they'll measure the little ones.

There are several different women's departments, all with their own personality. Brass Plum is the juniors department, which I would recommend you stay away from (although of course it's the least expensive, but grown women look ridiculous in those clothes I think.) If you want super trendy/label conscience try the Savvy department. I like the Point of View department for most things, Individualist is more work clothes oriented. Narrative is casual wear aimed at a more conservative dresser than Savvy or Point of View I think.

I'm not sure what you're expecting. It's more like a Bloomingdales than a Macy's, if that makes sense. I think it's nicer than Bloomingdales, and way nicer than Macy's. They have great customer service. Have fun! Some of the larger Nordstrom's have restaurants which are pretty good. The one in San Francisco has a pub...my DH looooves that Nordstrom. ;)

ETA: DUH! Shoes! They have amazing women's shoes. Many different departments, great selection, great service.

gamma
08-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Bras! They will measure and fit you for the best bra! One that you won"t want to rip off the minute you walk through the door! lol

wellyes
08-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Only bras. Only if you're willing to spend $80ish. But damn those are some nice bras. As a DD I consider a really good bra a necessity to maintain good posture. Chantelle bras all the way. Usually my bra is the most expensive item I'm wearing by far and it's worth it.

Lots of posters here recommend the 'Not your daughter's jeans' line and I know Nordstrom's sells those, haven't tried them myself.

Some of Nordstroms's stuff is very silly IMO. I am not proud to admit this but I once spend $130 on a hairbrush there (Mason Pearson, and yes it's very very nice, but that was one of the dumbest purchases of my life). I have seen a $375 umbrella for sale at Nordstrom's, and a $225 t-shirt. So, unless you are a genuine fashionista, part of the fun of shopping there is 'boggle at the ridiculousness' factor.

egoldber
08-28-2009, 09:20 AM
The Nicoise salad with salmon? ;) Love the Nordy Cafe. :heartbeat:

I buy almost all of mine and my kids shoes there because they have the best return policy. They are the only store where I will actually buy shoes ahead of time on sale because they will take them back even YEARS later, no questions asked. :)

ThreeofUs
08-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Underwear. They always seem to have a good selection, good quality.

dcmom2b3
08-28-2009, 09:45 AM
Underwear. They always seem to have a good selection, good quality.
:yeahthat:

Specifically, Cosabella -- [um, can I say this?] -- thongs. So comfy!

tylersmama
08-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Go get fitted for a bra. Seriously. It's soooooo worth it.

And then check out the shoes! I love their shoe department!

Karenn
08-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Children's shoes & the cafe are the two departments that get most of my money. :) If I'm shopping for me I find most of what I like in Point of View.

mamalia
08-28-2009, 11:22 AM
nak

NKids Panties...if your dd is thin these fit great. I think they are made by Sweet Ivy.

The cafe's bread pudding is AMAZINGLY good...I'd go just for that. :) The roast chicken is also really good. Free range, super moist and tender, with a yummy garlic butter flavor. Great kids menu.

Kid's shoes fittings.

AnnieW625
08-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Bras are nice and the fitting ladies are nice but make sure you get an older lady in their mid 50s. It took me two or three times over a three or four year period to finally get it right. The time before I was finally sized right I had been told by a girl in her mid 20s I could squeeze in to a 32D. I had just finished breast feeding four months before and was a 38C then so I knew there was absolutely no way I was going to fit into that bra. I am now a 38A or B depending on the bra and am very happy. I bought a Calvin Klein bra there that I love as well as an unlined Wacoal one I never thought I would love, and the Spanx Hallejullah bra, which is a great tee shirt bra and ultra comfy for travelling. If you can't afford the $80 Chantel and Le Mysteres just tell them outright and they'll bring something else that will work better. With my new size I also found some wonderful bras at Kohls from Vanity Fair and Wonderbra. I have also come to realize that the Felina panties they sell there are very good quality and worth the $9 a pair or whatever they are. I've tried knockoffs from Target and other stores and they just aren't as nice.

I also love to buy my shoes there. I have large wide feet and most of the time they have something trendy, but comfy that will work for me. I also buy my makeup there, and some clothes, but it really just depends on what I am shopping for. I like their selection of casual work shirts for DH too.

sidmand
08-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Bras are nice and the fitting ladies are nice but make sure you get an older lady in their mid 50s. It took me two or three times over a three or four year period to finally get it right.

I was starting to think it was just me! I specifically went to Nordstroms to be measured since I had heard such great things and the bra size she told me just did not fit and was not comfortable! I know most women are wearing the wrong size but I think I was actually wearing the right size. She wanted me to go down a band size and if I wanted to keep breathing that wasn't happening.

babybunny
08-28-2009, 12:17 PM
I had the same thing happen to me! I remember going in there for nursing bras. I was about 1 month pp. I thought this would be great, because she would measure me, etc. She didn't have "my" size in stock and said something really weird like if she had the size I wanted to buy, she wouldn't sell it to me anyway because in her mind the fit would be wrong. I never went back there for bras. I had horrible rib pain pp and could not imagine a tighter band than what I was already wearing and still wear now - almost 5 ears later.

Nevertheless, I love looking around that store, especially the shoe department (for me and DS).

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
08-28-2009, 01:08 PM
:yeahthat:

Specifically, Cosabella -- [um, can I say this?] -- thongs. So comfy!

The ONLY thong that touches my behind! The mesh is so comfy.

I wear a 36G and most stores don't carry bras that fit me. Nordstrom sells several brand that work for me, Wacoal, Le Mystere, Chantelle, etc.

Their kids socks last forever, I wear a 6.5 shoe, so I wear the kids socks....They sell the Westin Heavenly pillows, I LOVE them. Pricey, but I love to sleep well! Their shoe department will even sell you 2 shoes of a different size, say if one foot is a 1/2 size larger.... Their CS is what makes them special.

Laurel
08-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Jeans. Great selection and free alterations.

lizzywednesday
08-28-2009, 01:31 PM
If I go to Nordstrom, I always buy BRAS!

Their lingerie department is usually so well-staffed (and well-stocked) and the clerks are so knowledgeable that I am a repeat-customer there time and time again.

It's not often that I can splurge like this (standard bra purchases have been happening at Soma and Cacique) but I always appreciate being treated like a human being when I am about to spend a zillion dollars on anything.

Other than that, their bathrooms are usually the best in the mall, so if I have a choice between a Nordstrom's and a Macy's, I'll opt to pee at Nordstrom's!

Seitvonzu
08-28-2009, 01:40 PM
when i first saw this thread i thought "THE CAFE" but decided that saying that wasn't very helpful :) i guess people thought it was -- so i'll add ME TOO. i always look at the kids stuff (it's on the same level as the cafe at our store) and use the bathroom. nordstrom clothes are above this SAHM's paygrade, but i like to look at the less expensive shoes (ours has two shoe dept. for woman's shoes)

AnnieW625
08-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Other than that, their bathrooms are usually the best in the mall, so if I have a choice between a Nordstrom's and a Macy's, I'll opt to pee at Nordstrom's!

Oh yes I love Nordies bathrooms/lounges; with DD the Nordies lounge was the only place I felt comfortable breast feeding in public!

lizzywednesday
08-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Oh yes I love Nordies bathrooms/lounges; with DD the Nordies lounge was the only place I felt comfortable breast feeding in public!

I was just thinking that they'd be best when my LO arrives this Spring... and I need to hit the mall because all the reruns are ones I've seen.

mommylamb
08-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Bras! They will measure and fit you for the best bra! One that you won"t want to rip off the minute you walk through the door! lol

:yeahthat: They also have a great shoe department.

infomama
09-11-2009, 01:00 AM
Ficcare hair clips http://www.ficcare.com/Collections.aspx?catId=1 are by far the most comfortable hair clip I have ever used. It's contoured so it doesn't even feel like a clip is in your hair (kind of molds to your head).

Trust me...if you have long hair you *must* buy one of these clips.