PDA

View Full Version : Reading Rainbow...

kedss
08-28-2009, 09:00 AM
has ended after 26 years! :(
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112312561

not really a bitch, but sad that if we had a tv, my daughter wouldn't be able to watch this great kids show when she's old enough.

BabyMine
08-28-2009, 09:02 AM
That's sad. I remember watching this show growing up.

egoldber
08-28-2009, 09:07 AM
:(

We love this show. Sarah always wants to get the "extra" books at the end from the library and we have found so many wonderful books and authors through this show.

Hopefully, it will be like Mr. Rogers and will continue to be shown on many stations for years and years to come.

The below makes me sad though. Why can't they have both types of programming? Do we really need ANOTHER show like Word World, Super Why or Martha Speaks?

Grant says the funding crunch is partially to blame, but the decision to end Reading Rainbow can also be traced to a shift in the philosophy of educational television programming. The change started with the Department of Education under the Bush administration, he explains, which wanted to see a much heavier focus on the basic tools of reading — like phonics and spelling.

Grant says that PBS, CPB and the Department of Education put significant funding toward programming that would teach kids how to read — but that's not what Reading Rainbow was trying to do.

"Reading Rainbow taught kids why to read," Grant says. "You know, the love of reading — [the show] encouraged kids to pick up a book and to read."

KpbS
08-28-2009, 09:16 AM
We have just started RR and DS1 loves it. I knew it wasn't going to last much longer but I really hope that our local PBS will continue it for awhile.

lchang25000
08-28-2009, 09:18 AM
I used to watch this show also! I wasn't aware that it was still on!

Andi98989
08-28-2009, 09:18 AM
So sad! There are DVD's of it, though!

LexyLou
08-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Take a look, it's in a book, it's Reading Rainbow....Reading Rainbow.

I loved this show. I didn't realize it was still on the air either. Is it the same host?

egoldber
08-28-2009, 09:34 AM
Yes, LeVar Burton has been on the show the whole time.

I think my fav episode was the one where they went on the Star Trek set. :) I used to think it was so strange to see him without his visor. :ROTFLMAO:

Melaine
08-28-2009, 09:40 AM

I think my fav episode was the one where they went on the Star Trek set. :) I used to think it was so strange to see him without his visor. :ROTFLMAO:

That was an awesome episode! My brother and I were fascinated to see how they did the transport "magic" and tried it ourselves with glitter and a glass of water!

I do hope they continue to show re-runs, this is one of the best shows.

What does "Martha Speaks" teach at all? We don't watch it often but it doesn't have much value that I can see.

egoldber
08-28-2009, 09:41 AM
All of PBS newer shows are geared at phonics awareness and intruction....teaching pre-reading skills.

Veronica's Mommy
08-28-2009, 09:57 AM
I used to love Reading Rainbow. Sometimes when I read a new book to DD, I think, "This would be a wonderful book for Reading Rainbow". But our local affiliate doesn't carry it, and I didn't even know it was still on. Guess that's why it's being cancelled, it's not getting aired anyway. Of course, Clifford hasn't had a new episode since... well, since John Ritter died, but that doesn't stop them from airing those same old reruns (twice a day) over & over again...

egoldber
08-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Guess that's why it's being cancelled, it's not getting aired anyway

PBS stations choose what to carry. Ours still carries it.

Puddy73
08-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Aww, too bad. We love Reading Rainbow! It is perfect for watching in the evening because it doesn't get the kids all hyped up and is a good transition to reading a book and going to bed. On a selfish note, I like it much better than some of the other kids shows. I can't sit through an episode of Special Agent Oso without wanting to pull my hair out.

pb&j
08-28-2009, 11:31 AM
We've recently started Tivo-ing Mr. Rogers, will have to do that for reruns of Reading Rainbow as well. Those shows are class acts. I really hate the frenetic pace of most kids' TV today - I really love those gentle shows. If a child loves books, then they have the most important thing they need to learn how to read - motivation. All those shows that teach "skills" are pretty junky, IMO.

I'm not embarrassed to say that I watched Reading Rainbow when I was many years past the target demographic for that show. Who doesn't love to be read to?

ETA: LeVar Burton is awesome. I loved him both on RR and on TNG!!!!

MamaMolly
08-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Fingers crossed it goes into years of re-runs. That is a series I'd *happily* buy!

Carrots
08-28-2009, 11:35 AM
I LOVED that show as a child. We would go to the library looking for the books from the show and spend hours reading there. Then we would take home a huge bag of other books!

That is too bad.

MartiesMom2B
08-28-2009, 11:41 AM

That was one of my favorite episodes too. This show introduced me to so many great books when I was little: Strega Nona, Miss Nelson is Missing, The Oxcart Man.

hobie
08-28-2009, 12:04 PM
My guys are just getting into RR. I'm so sorry that it will be cancled! But I'm very glad that my local station has been running old RR shows, and I've been recording them. My guys LOVE the train show.

pb&j
08-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Fingers crossed it goes into years of re-runs. That is a series I'd *happily* buy!
There are lots of RR DVD's already available - I found a ton on Netflix.

purpleeyes
08-28-2009, 10:02 PM
:(

The below makes me sad though. Why can't they have both types of programming? Do we really need ANOTHER show like Word World, Super Why or Martha Speaks?

So, so true!

I will start Dvring RR just to have some saved. Boo, PBS!

MmeSunny
08-28-2009, 10:27 PM
I remember watching this with my brother up until I was at least 12. The topics were so varied. I loved the Native Peoples book about the horses and watching LeVar Burton gallop away on a horse.

My favorite of all time was the cat episode where they went to see tigers. Keepers were wrestling with the tigers and that looked like the coolest job in the world. I always wanted to record it on the VCR and never caught it. So sad. . . .

It still gives me a thrill to go through the children's section of the library and see the golden sticker "A Reading Rainbow Book".

Corie
08-28-2009, 11:36 PM
Who doesn't love to be read to?

I agree!! I still love being read to.

scmama
08-29-2009, 12:13 AM
I am so bummed! I loved RR when I was little. I was really looking forward to sharing it with DS when he was bigger. I love to read and my mom would always take me to the library to look for the books I learned about. I'm hoping my stations will carry it... either that or I'll just look for some DVD's I guess.

C99
08-29-2009, 12:36 AM
I was singing the theme song in my head while the page loaded. That was one of my childhood favs and I love, love, love the themesong!