PDA

View Full Version : Toe walking?

wellyes
08-28-2009, 11:46 AM
DD is 17 months. Sometimes she's starting walking on her toes. She walks normally most of the time (well, normal for a young toddler - kind of stompy). I think she's just being goofy, but I can't really tell.

I googled "Toe Walking" and scary sites came up about neuromuscular diseases. Is this something to be concerned about? Or is it just something some kids do?

JElaineB
08-28-2009, 11:50 AM
If she is just 17 months I wouldn't worry about it. You might want to point it out to your ped down the road. If it continues much past 3 or 4 you may want to get a referal to a orthadepdic (sp?) doctor to rule out any physical causes. We had to do that for DS but there was nothing physically wrong with him, so we just left it alone. He is almost 7 and has almost completely outgrown it.

BabyMine
08-28-2009, 11:53 AM
My DS1 toe walked around that age. They are just experimenting.

vludmilla
08-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Some toe walking is a normal part of development. Most kids do it for a period of time just because they realize that they can.

brittone2
08-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Yep, it is normal if they are using it here and there, playing, experimenting, etc. with it. It becomes more of a concern when it is obligatory or used the majority of the time, or when it persists past age 3 or so. Another thing to look at is whether it is symmetrical or asymmetrical. Sometimes kids will toe walk on one side to compensate for a leg length discrepancy, etc. but that isn't that common.

It can be a red flag when used quite a bit...something to watch but unless it is used a LOT I would not worry, especially at 17 months unless your child is at risk for neurological issues (preemie, etc.) or other delays, or if you have other concerns about DC's development.

wellyes
08-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks all for the reassurance. I get paranoid sometimes and google does NOT help!

Nyfeara
08-28-2009, 03:05 PM
DS is 18 mos and started doing this a little too. I think, as the PPs have said, it's just experimenting. He walks/runs normally otherwise, but has his moments where you can see him concentrating on doing it/balancing. He'll usually bust out running or dancing afterwards, or look up smiling when he sees us watching, like he's discovered something new.