PDA

View Full Version : What to Look For in New Dishwasher?

Indianamom2
08-28-2009, 01:19 PM
The current dishwasher we have technically "works", if you consider leaving lots of food on dishes and not really getting them clean! It came brand new with the house 5 years ago, but it was a bottom of the line, super-loud, cheap machine that I very much dislike.

After finding food residue repeatedly in my "clean" glasses and baby bottles, I'm looking for a new one.

I've never really looked at dishwashers before, and since we've already replaced a fridge, washer and dryer this spring/summer, plus had a baby, it needs to be on the cheaper (but good quality) side.

What features do you love about your dishwasher?

What brands do you like?

What configuration of silverware is best? (In the bottom rack, on the door, etc.?)

Anything else to consider? I'd ideally like to spend $600 or less and I have the option of ordering through the Whirlpool VIP program, so I could get a more expensive model (maybe more in the $800 range) for a much better price.

Thanks,
Christina

egoldber
08-28-2009, 01:31 PM
We have an Asko that we got as a floor model several years ago ($1300 model that we got for $800) and have been very happy with it. It is quiet, energy efficient and I don't pre-rinse. :)

But I wonder if the old dishwasher maybe just needs to be serviced? It's worth considering. I would call their CS number and see what they say.

Indianamom2
08-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Thanks Beth.

Truthfully, this dishwasher has never washed well. It's also incredibly loud. I may list it on Craig's list, since it technically works, but I'm done messing with it. We have the money to replace it and this way it will match the fridge. The kitchen appliances needed to be updated anyhow.

Christina

crazydiamond
08-28-2009, 01:50 PM
I wanted a built in food disposer. Ones without these have filters that need to be cleaned regularly or they clog up with food (and get on your dishes). The problem with built in disposers is that they also create more noise - therefore you need to look at the noise ratings (dba) to find models with extra insulation. Beyond the built in disposer and low noise issues - I looked for models with sanitary cycles (NSF).

belovedgandp
08-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Ours is about 5 years old. The thing I really wanted was a stainless interior. We bought the cheapest whirlpool brand washer with the stainless interior. I think it makes a huge difference for dishes actually drying. I was tired of having to put half my dishes on the counter to really dry them after they were washed.

deannanb
08-28-2009, 02:12 PM
our Asko is very quiet - it has needed to be serviced a few times in the last 8 years - but overall does a good job

daniele_ut
08-28-2009, 03:21 PM
I have a Bosch Integra series and I really love it. It is ridiculously quiet (and there is a model even quieter than mine) and it washes incredible well. Two drawbacks are that it has a very long cycle time, but they all seem to lately, and there is sometimes an odd smell in the dishwasher if you leave it closed up too long.

geochick
08-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Reviews:
http://www.consumersearch.com/dishwasher-reviews

KrisM
08-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Bring your glasses, cereal bowls, etc with you if they're extra tall, wide or whatever. I had a hard time with our bowls in our old dishwasher.

sansdieu
08-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Having had numerous dishwashers with problem, I would like to second the idea of Bosch (or at least anything other than Kenmore). They have a less expensive model (in the $600-800 range), and with sales, price-matches, and ebates, you can get them at really good prices.

Other features:

* Filters: I prefer the models where you actually have to manually remove and clean the filter (primarily found on European models). Those are quieter and wash better. If you hate cleaning filters, then go for one of the American brands, but keep in mind that they will be noisier.

* stainless steel tub -- definitely go for it, if you can afford it.

* folding tines -- convenient, but prone to breakage.

*adjustable top rack (to accommodate tall pots and pans below) -- moderate usefulness because that big pan you put underneath it will block spray access to most of the top rack anyway

* "turbo zone" found on Kenmore dishwashers -- useless (but then again, I've had nothing but bad luck with Kenmore dishwashers).

* child locks (mine allows you to lock the keypad, but the child can still open and close dishwasher -- ridiculous!)

* simplicity of design -- don't know how else to phrase this one. See lots of fancy nooks and crannies when you look inside? That means there's more stuff to rust or break off. Notice those cute rubbery endcaps on the tines? Mine keep falling off, leaving a rusty sharp piece of metal behind. Try to go for the most basic design that fits your needs, with the minimum of bells and whistles. I really regret buying a "top-of-the line" dishwasher -- it's no better in washing performance than one it replaced, but I've had several dozen warranty visits for all the various parts that broke on it.

ThreeofUs
08-28-2009, 04:09 PM
We looked for water heated in the dishwasher hot enough to sterilize the dishes. Period.

We found one brand (Bosch) that did that (per Consumer Reports, I think), and so I found the best prices I could for a Bosch from Sears and Lowe's. Then I did my best to get them in a tiny bidding war. It worked and I got a great deal, free delivery, and a year same as cash.

My DH had to install - and in our old place, that meant pulling out newspapers from the Bay of Pigs era from behind the old dishwasher!

brittone2
08-28-2009, 04:25 PM
We ripped out a builder grade dishwasher at our previous house and put in a Bosch and loved it. We went to a small locally owned shop and they actually talked us out of upgrading too much, saying the lower end models we were looking at (still Bosch) were excellent. This was about 7-8 years ago now though.

I have seen some people here mention they did not like their Bosch, but we looooooved ours. Long cycles, but they worked, and I never prerinsed unless it was something extreme.

AnnieW625
08-28-2009, 04:42 PM
I think everything is pretty much covered, but I much prefer the design of having the silverware basket attached to the door of the dishwasher. We have an appt. size dishwasher and our basket takes up space on the bottom rack of the dishwasher. The stainless steel tub is nice too.

I always pre wash my dishes first so I don't have to worry about food clogging the drain, or having to clean the drain. EEK!

ssjarrett
08-28-2009, 05:25 PM
We've had terrible luck with our LG dishwasher. In less than 2 years, it has already needed a new motor/pump assembly, had wires broken in the front panel, and had a broken drain hose. The only good thing about it is how quiet it is and how it looks. Quiet operation and good cleaning were important features to me and I got only one of those with my LG.