PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta zoo & aquarium ?'s

Melaine
08-28-2009, 02:47 PM
We'll be heading to Atlanta for a four day vacation in a couple weeks. We want to do a little shopping and a little hanging around the hotel. We were also thinking about the zoo and the aquarium. For anyone who has been to those places, how long should we plan to spend there? Should we go to both places or just one? Also, do you think we will want our stroller? (if we leave it we can buy more stuff shopping!)

Thanks!

nrp
08-28-2009, 03:15 PM
I grew up there, but I haven't been to the zoo in YEARS, so I can't be much help there. Hopefully someone else will chime in. We did take DD to the aquarium a year or so ago. We did take the stroller then, but she was a lot younger. IIRC, the parking wasn't too far away and you should be fine without a stroller, especially if your DDs are used to walking. And while the zoo might be nice, I don't recall it being out-of-this-world, whereas the aquarium is amazing. So if you have to pick one, definitely go with the aquarium.

ETA: I'm on the email list for the aquarium, and I keep thinking that one of these days I'm going to surprise DH with one of the packages to snorkel/scuba in the big tank with the whale sharks. How cool would that be?!

fivi2
08-28-2009, 03:36 PM
We just got back from Atlanta. We did the aquarium, but not the zoo (too hot, not enough time). I am not a big aquarium fan in general, but we seem to go to quite a few (not sure how that happens).

Anyway, it really is an amazing aquarium. The girls loved it. We got there at opening and probably spent 3 hours including lunch. Several people recommended packing a lunch and eating in Centennial Park and playing in fountains (didn't work out for us). We did not take a stroller in the aquarium, but I think your girls are a tad younger. And, you might want one for the rest of your trip if you are walking around... In New Orleans, we took two small umbrella singles and they were good to have. much easier on sidewalks and to take in restaurants than the double would be...

We did go to the Tellus museum up in Cartersville which was a lot of fun also (but quite a hike from downtown - we were staying north of town). The Chattahoochee Nature Center looked neat, but we didn't have time. Also the Children's museum is right by Aquarium. We didn't go, and it gets mixed reviews, but might be nice if you need an indoor option.

(ps - while we were at the aquarium we saw so many sets of twins. Even an adorable set with curly red hair - I did wonder for a sec if they were yours, but there was a younger dc in tow!)

Melaine
08-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks guys! I definitely think we will hit the aquarium. I am still debating the zoo. We have a great local zoo that the girls love and not sure DH and I really want to shell out the cash to do both when we go all the time in town.
I think we will take the stroller, since I'd hate to be stuck without one. Times like these I do kind of wish we had a couple umbrella strollers but I'm not going to buy them now....Well, at least I don't think I am. :hysterical:
Thanks for mentioning the museums, I'll look those up.

Nope, it wasn't us at the aquarium! How funny would it be to run into someone from here!

fivi5, did you guys eat at the aquarium? Can I ask how pricey/good the menu was if so?

maylips
08-30-2009, 08:47 PM
We did the zoo during Father's Day weekend - worst day EVER. The zoo is TERRIBLE for such a large metropolitan area, IMO. It was hotter than...well, this is quickly becoming a b!tching post, but let's just say we did not have a good time.

Unless you go on a very comfortable day, don't bother - the zoo did not have a lot of shade and no water features, so it was pretty miserable. The inside aquarium sounds much better!

cindys
08-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Personally I wouldnt waste time or money at our Atlanta Zoo...Its a disappointment...

I used to live in the DC area and nothing beats the Washinton Zoo and its price (FREE)!!

I love the Ga Aquarium! We have always taken a stroller and its been fine...I will say that we go early in the day though since it gets really crowded on weekend afternoons...When I say early I mean we are there by 8am!

We have also gone while school is in during the week and then we will go later in the day and it works out perfectly...

Food at the Aquarium is pricey..We usually walk over to the CNN Center and grab lunch inside from somewhere like Chick-Fil-A and then go back out and eat outside at Centennial Park...

The Coca Cola Museum is right next to the Aquarium and its alot of fun...

If you can go eat at The Varsity...www.thevarsity.com (http://www.thevarsity.com)

Enjoy your visit!

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...18,3 & 10mos:love-retry::love-retry::love-retry:

Melbel
08-30-2009, 09:45 PM
We went to the GA Aquarium a couple of weekends ago and would definitely recommend going there. All of the 6 kids in our group from 14 months to 9 years loved it. We spent about 3 hours there (approximately 10 AM to 1 PM). By the time we left it was VERY crowded and you should have seen the long line outside! Definitely get there early if at all possible. The food was fairly pricey and not very good. If you get there at opening time and pack snacks, you could probably go elsewhere for lunch.

As for the zoo, I went years ago. It was an alright zoo, but nothing spectacular, except perhaps the pandas.

I hope you enjoy your trip!

fivi2
08-31-2009, 10:02 AM
As the others have said, food at the Aquarium is pricey and not spectacular. But I didn't think it was as bad as the food at Sea World (SA) for example. If I hadn't been dealing with my insane mother, I would definitely have packed a picnic and eaten in the park, though.

As far as the strollers go, I don't remember which double you have. But I do think life is easier for city traveling with two small umbrellas. (mine were probably less than $10 each). They also take less room in the trunk. You just take up so much sidewalk with a double and it is hard to deal with in restaurants... (But I have a side by side, maybe it is different with a tandem).

There was a great thread on Atlanta in this forum at the beginning of summer and another recent one in the Lounge (I started that one).

Have a fun trip!

MmeSunny
08-31-2009, 10:21 PM
I live in the ATL. The Ga. Aquarium is amazing. I would bring a stroller, just to hold stuff. You can bring it in, but not through any of the exhibit loops that branch off from the main central area. You are supposed to leave it parked at the beginning of each loop and move it to the next loop. Also, prepare for a good bit of security going in. They will go through your bags and wand everyone. I second PP's suggestion of getting there at the buttcrack of dawn because no matter the day or time, that place gets packed. Also, we're back in school and field trips for schools are starting, so no day is "safe".

I would bring a picnic and eat at the Centenial Olympic park right across the street and then play in the dancing fountains. (Bring a change of clothes!)

The World of Coke is right next door too, but not really for the under 5 set, except for the huge tasting area, but again, LO's will get tired of that quickly.

The aquarium and zoo is too much for one day, IMO. They are also about 30 minutes from each other in light traffic--which there is never really in ATL. The zoo is nice if you set your expectations accordingly. It's a small zoo. You can walk across the whole thing in a straight shot in less than 10min. The main draw is the pandas and the cubs. It is hot, but there are a lot of shaded areas. If you buy any drink there, they will not give you a lid or a straw, or allow you to keep the top of a water bottle, so be advised to bring your own! They have a train, new big playground and a carousel for little kids. One of my favorites is watching the komodo dragon getting fed. He lunges for this pre-killed rabbit. It sounds very gruesome, but cool in that "Wild Kingdom" type of way.

It's still very hot here. Upper 90's with high humidity. Bring lots of water bottles for any type of outdoor activity.

Melaine
09-01-2009, 07:21 AM
Thanks so much for the tips, everyone! That is definitely going to help us plan. We were thinking to go to the zoo and aquarium different days but we will definitely skip the zoo based on these recommendations.

I didn't realize Centennial Park is so close to the aquarium, that sounds great. We'll be heading to the aquarium early on Friday morning and do our best to beat the crowds!

Thanks, all!

cindys
09-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Melaine - How was your trip to our fair city?

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...18, 3 & 10mos:love-retry::love-retry::love-retry:

Melaine
09-13-2009, 06:35 PM
We just got back a couple hours ago. It was great, and the aquarium was fantastic!!! We skipped the zoo as recommended but hit Ikea and the American Girl store and did some more shopping. We hung out in our hotel and went swimming in the pool and had a very relaxing trip. I have to say, this is the first trip since the girls were born that didn't seem like more trouble than it was worth!!

cindys
09-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Oh yeah, Ikea is lots of fun!!!

Glad you enjoyed your trip!!!

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...18, 3 & 11mos:love-retry::love-retry::love-retry: