PDA

View Full Version : Costco one-day pass?

Melaine
08-28-2009, 02:57 PM
We don't have a local Costco but all the threads about the delights of Costco have me wondering if we should pop by one while we are shopping in Atlanta. Is there any option for one day shopping pass or anything like that? TIA!

nrp
08-28-2009, 03:23 PM
I think they only do "browse" passes, where you can explore, but if you want to check out you have to buy a membership.

ETA: This probably won't work for you, but I do believe that if you have a costco cash card (gift certificate) you can shop and pay without a membership.

JustMe
08-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Yes, before I had my card, I tried a couple of times and a day pass only entiteld me to look around. They do check your card at check out so there's really nothing you can do about it...unless you can find someone there who has a card and wants to go with you.

What a pain, though, I often wonder if they wouldnt make more money by doing away with the card. $50 is significant to a lot of us. I only have a card b/c I request it from my sister for my Chanukah present.

honeybefly
08-28-2009, 04:52 PM
They actually make most of their profits from memberships and not from purchases if you can believe it.

wellyes
08-28-2009, 06:55 PM
If you browse, then decide to become a member, remember that you can always cancel your membership for a complete refund at any time.

Also you should know that they only accept AmEx or cash. No mastercard or visa. It's a PITA.

What a pain, though, I often wonder if they wouldnt make more money by doing away with the card. $50 is significant to a lot of us. I only have a card b/c I request it from my sister for my Chanukah present.

I know other clubs like BJ's allow non-members to buy anything in the store for a slightly higher price (10%-15%, something like that). Costco is the most restrictive, you're not even allowed to walk around the store without going to the membership desk and presenting your license.

deannanb
08-28-2009, 09:26 PM
ept AmEx or cash. No mastercard or visa. It's a PITA.

You can use your debit card (did that today) - :thumbsup:

Melaine
08-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks.....I guess we are out of luck with Costco. Definitely don't want to buy enough to justify a membership.