PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for an academic planner/organizer that fits in purse?

MMMommy
08-29-2009, 01:24 AM
I desperately need a good academic planner/organizer that is portable. I don't need any special extras like address book, maps, or anything like that. I need it strictly to keep track of the kids' schedules (and my schedule) in a portable format. I'm used to looking at one month on two pages (the small, portable "At-A-Glance Monthly Planners"), but I realize now that I will need to break out of my old habit and switch to the weekly format (I'm thinking one week on two pages) b/c my old format won't accommodate the many entries I have to input per day. Any favorites?

I will probably head over to Staples b/c I know they carry some small ones, but thought I'd check with the mommies (and daddies) to see if they have any personal favorites.

Thanks!

C99
08-29-2009, 01:54 AM
I love my Moleskine planner. This year, I had one that had 7 days across 2 pages. For next year, I have one that has 1 page of notes and 1 page of days.

wellyes
08-29-2009, 08:59 AM
I was going to recommend Moleskin too. The page of days/page of notes works perfectly for me. I usually have more notes in a week than appointments. Plus I use it to keep track of what I'm reading, my workouts, etc.

Here's what it looks like:
http://armandfrasco.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/etn.jpg

KrisM
08-29-2009, 09:09 AM
I just got this one and love it! It's by Whomi and I have the compact size.

http://www.whomi.com/-strse-87/Clarity-Agenda%3Cbr%3EJanuary-dsh-December-2010/Detail.bok - Click on More Views to see the inside.

What I like - it's spiral, so it opens flat. It has white at the top for AM and PM and I use that for me or family. The bottoms has 3 different colors and AM and PM in each and I give each kid a color.

Since it's spiral, I just tear off the page as I go, so this week is always at the top.

I am now carrying a wristlet, but if I had a typical purse, it would fit.

Carrots
08-29-2009, 09:45 AM
I use this one by At A Glance. http://www.ataglance.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product3_10052_10002_129492_-1_false_10052##

I can't live without my planner. They have other versions that don't come with the address book and pad of paper.

wellyes
08-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Since it's spiral, I just tear off the page as I go, so this week is always at the top.Since it's spiral, I just tear off the page as I go, so this week is always at the top.

That's completely logical but I woudn't like that so much.... I use my planner to remember things from the past, too, like "when did I last get a haircut?" So I need to reference it sometimes. Plus, I like to keep old planners, I have a few year of Moleskin planner on my bookshelf. It's handy - quick way to find out 'when did we go on that Maine camping trip?' or 'what was the name of that dermatologist I visted a couple years ago?'

KrisM
08-29-2009, 10:05 AM
That's completely logical but I woudn't like that so much.... I use my planner to remember things from the past, too, like "when did I last get a haircut?" So I need to reference it sometimes. Plus, I like to keep old planners, I have a few year of Moleskin planner on my bookshelf. It's handy - quick way to find out 'when did we go on that Maine camping trip?' or 'what was the name of that dermatologist I visted a couple years ago?'

I can see that! I use my Outlook calendar on my computer as my main thing and just write in what I need on the other. So, I can tell you when I got my hair cut last year or whatever. For the one with me, I like that I don't have to flip through pages.

justlearning
08-29-2009, 11:06 AM
I have used a Whomi for the past two years as well and have liked them so much that I already ordered a new one for 2010. (The new one is a little different, though, and I don't think I'm going to like the changes they made--I'll explain more if you're interested.)

I don't tear my pages out because I use my planner as a record from the past. There are tabs on the bottom corner that I tear off each week to help me find the correct week.

I use the botom three colors for the folllowing: yellow for one kid, green for another, and blue for DH and me. I also use the little band of beige on the bottom of each color to write things like "no school" or when DH is on call.

I really like being able to see a week at a time and know exactly who has what going on. Because the colors are already assigned, I don't have to write the child's name--I just write the time of the activity on the top little section of their space and the activity in the bigger space.

The compact works only if you can write small. I'm using the original whomi this year and it does give more writing space. I ordered a compact again for 2010, though, because it was smaller and lighter to carry around in my purse and still worked just as well--I just had to write smaller.

If you have more questions, I'm happy to answer. They're not cheap, though (around $30 after shipping) so you might find something you like as well or better for less at Staples. For me, they work well enough to justify the cost.

ETA that the Whomi isn't an academic calendar--it runs from January to December so that may not work for you anyhow.

justlearning
08-29-2009, 11:10 AM
I can see that! I use my Outlook calendar on my computer as my main thing and just write in what I need on the other. So, I can tell you when I got my hair cut last year or whatever. For the one with me, I like that I don't have to flip through pages.

Just an FYI--I referred in my post above to the new changes for 2010. I just got mine and the 18-month calendar pages are now on the bottom section with the color-coded calendar instead of on the top section like previous years. The top section now just has lines for notes. So, if you do your method, you'd have to tear out the entire calendar in order for your current week to be on top with the 2010 calendar.

I emailed customer service and said that I didn't like the change, but they said they did it because customers were asking for more notes space. (They're now selling additional notes inserts for that top part to change out with the one that comes with it, so I think they did it probably as a way to have another product to sell.)

KrisM
08-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Just an FYI--I referred in my post above to the new changes for 2010. I just got mine and the 18-month calendar pages are now on the bottom section with the color-coded calendar instead of on the top section like previous years. The top section now just has lines for notes. So, if you do your method, you'd have to tear out the entire calendar in order for your current week to be on top with the 2010 calendar.

I emailed customer service and said that I didn't like the change, but they said they did it because customers were asking for more notes space. (They're now selling additional notes inserts for that top part to change out with the one that comes with it, so I think they did it probably as a way to have another product to sell.)

I saw they were selling the note refills and thought that was a nice idea, as I don't really need the whole yearly calendar. I figured it'd replace the calendar as an option. Hmmm.

There's a store local that sells them and they'll get the new ones in soon, so I'll have to check them out. Thanks for letting me know.

Do you use any of their other things? I just bought the Shop Call Do list and really like that for the car. I might get one for my desk at home, too.

justlearning
08-29-2009, 12:22 PM
I saw they were selling the note refills and thought that was a nice idea, as I don't really need the whole yearly calendar. I figured it'd replace the calendar as an option. Hmmm.

There's a store local that sells them and they'll get the new ones in soon, so I'll have to check them out. Thanks for letting me know.

Do you use any of their other things? I just bought the Shop Call Do list and really like that for the car. I might get one for my desk at home, too.

I wish that I could buy mine locally but haven't seen a retailer who carries them, so I pay the s/h.

I don't use any their other products because I already have a pad from another manuf. that is similar to their shop/call/do list. I do love my Whomi planner, though! It was especially nice when my younger son had clinic appts nearly everyday and I had to find babysitting for my older son during those times. I found that it worked very well when my kids were doing two different things at the same time. And I like seeing the entire week at once.

wellyes
08-29-2009, 12:22 PM
I've seen that brand at The Container Store.

justlearning
08-29-2009, 12:44 PM
I've seen that brand at The Container Store.

I did see the Whomi Shop/Call/Do list there but not the Whomi planner. Maybe I didn't check it out closely enough. Oh, well, the s/h wasn't too bad (I bought it from redstamp.com).