PDA

View Full Version : Who mows your lawn?

MamaKath
08-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Just wondering, lol!

ETA- It is much needed here and I don't mind it now that we have a tractor, so I am heading out to do it before the storms. Just wondering how it works in other families. :D

brittone2
08-29-2009, 11:22 AM
DH does it. He had a lawnmowing business on the side in college so he's pretty accustomed to doing it ;)

That said, I think he's looking forward to the day when he wraps up his PhD and we can pay a service ;) I get my housecleaner first though...that was part of our deal when he went back to school :D

MamaKath
08-29-2009, 11:25 AM
That said, I think he's looking forward to the day when he wraps up his PhD and we can pay a service ;) I get my housecleaner first though...that was part of our deal when he went back to school :D
Lol! Completely understand. I am looking forward to a cleaning lady again some day. Was the one of the only good parts about bedrest! I am new to the lawnmowing, only since dh's injury. Before he would push mow it. The tractor came when I had to take over. Me, an acre and a pushmower was a problem!!!

JBaxter
08-29-2009, 11:27 AM
I put other because I have teenage boys!!

toby
08-29-2009, 11:27 AM
I do. DH works a lot so I do a lot of the outside (and inside maintenance). I try to save money so I learn how to do things myself (like rewire the electric outlets!). DH was supposed to take over the lawn when I was 7 months pregnant, but that never happened...sigh.

brittone2
08-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Lol! Completely understand. I am looking forward to a cleaning lady again some day. Was the one of the only good parts about bedrest! I am new to the lawnmowing, only since dh's injury. Before he would push mow it. The tractor came when I had to take over. Me, an acre and a pushmower was a problem!!!

I grew up on 3.5 acres, and DH on 5.5 acres. I did a lot of lawnmowing in high school (with a riding mower). I would pushmow once in a while at my parents' house, but I'm 5'2" and my leverage sucks w/ most lawnmowers (or at least the one my dad had LOL). It was soooooo hard for me to push up a hill. If I was a few inches taller I think it would have been far easier. I think pushmowers have come a long way since then though.

I actually didn't mind mowing w/ the riding mower in high school. I liked working on my tan at the time LOL. ;)

caleymama
08-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Usually DH, but I do it occasionally. We have half an acre and use a push mower, sometimes a push reel mower. I like using the push reel mower because it's safe enough that the girls can be outside and I can actually carry on a conversation with them.

KrisM
08-29-2009, 11:43 AM
DH or I, depending on who has the time. He does it more than I do, but if it's a rainy week and I can squeeze it in while he's at work, I will.

SnuggleBuggles
08-29-2009, 11:46 AM
It was taking dh like 3 hours to do all the lawn work every weekend (well, every weekend he did it) so I decided that it was a service I was willing to pay for. Figured we got back extra time with dh by doing it- plus I didn't have to nag him to get out there on the weekends. It's not a huge lawn by any stretch but to get to the back yard you have to go down steps.

Beth

ellies mom
08-29-2009, 11:58 AM
We have completely done away with a lawn in this house so no one mows anymore. When we did have a lawn, the husband mowed. I can mow but I refuse to take on the responsibility for the outside of the house outside the occasional task that strikes my fancy. He doesn't help enough on the inside for me to feel any desire to help on the outside. That said, when we move again and go back to having a lawn, we will probably hire someone to come and mow.

kayte
08-29-2009, 01:25 PM
I choose other- our neighborhood dues cover the front yard --mowed every week, weeding in beds, new mulch and bush/tree trimming once a season and they will plant flowers if you buy them and put them outside.

They will also mow our back yard for $10 a week and we did that when DH traveled Monday-Thursday thinking he would rather be with us than deal with the lawn. (but don't get me started on how they ran over our pumpkin vines twice).

Now he mows and trims the back... but I handle the two back yard flower beds and the two backyard garden beds. DH wants me to make even more of the yard into garden beds--- and I tease him it's so he has less to mow.

icunurse
08-29-2009, 01:31 PM
We pay a service and have used them for the last 2 years. Our lot is oversized, has several slants and there are a lot of curves in the lanscaping. It's also a corner house, so there is a fair amount of parkway area. So, when DH would just mow, it would take him 3ish hours to get it done. I can't mow because my allergies to grass are so bad. The service that we use charges very little (I'm always waiting for them to increase), does a great job, and finishes in about 20 minutes. Worth every penny!

wellyes
08-29-2009, 01:33 PM
I choose other- our neighborhood dues cover the front yard --mowed every week, weeding in beds, new mulch and bush/tree trimming once a season and they will plant flowers if you buy them and put them outside.Oh gosh, as much as the idea of a HOA chafes (they're rare here in New England anyway) I'd LOVE that.

I voted "My spouse does it" but should have put other. He gets it more than 1/2 the time but I've done it plenty of times too. I will say it is the one tasks I have around the house where I do sometimes feel like the neighbors are looking at me funny.

DH always says he wants a Japanese style rock-and-moss garden instead of an expanse of grass. Now that we have DD that idea is less attractive. But we both get no pleasure from doing kind of lawn care and we aren't good about keeeping up with it.

Now to talk mowers....

we have a regular self-propelled one.

In my parents' neighborhood everyone has a tractor-style riding mower, no matter how small the yard. It cracks me up. Takes more time to pull it out of the shed than to mow with it.

The lawn service guys (most of the neighbors have yard services) have these really nifty ones that they ride on while standing up. Kind of like a Segwey, but a mower. NEAT!!!!!!!

Also, I do have one friend with the Roomba mower. It is hilarious to watch, very slow to actually cover the whole ground, but in theory I love it!!

BabyMine
08-29-2009, 01:56 PM
It was both of us but for now it is my DH. The vibrations don't help my back pain. I love mowing and smelling cut grass. I can also zone out when I mow.

hillview
08-29-2009, 02:28 PM
DH does it about 50%. My dad also does it. I have done it. My parents live downstairs -- in a 2 family.
/hillary

AnnieW625
08-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Dh mows the lawn and does yard maintenance including trimming the shrubs. DD and I usually take care of the watering and planting flowers.

katydid1971
08-29-2009, 02:39 PM
DH does it always. I'm very allergic to grass and he likes to do it. We have a push reel mower BTW and love it. I so preer the sound of its whirly noise to all the noisey power mowers in the neighborhood. Plus the kids can be out with him while he mows. We are talking about getting a lawn service to fertalize it though, we have so many weeds.

SnuggleBuggles
08-29-2009, 02:45 PM
DH does it always. I'm very allergic to grass and he likes to do it. We have a push reel mower BTW and love it. I so preer the sound of its whirly noise to all the noisey power mowers in the neighborhood. Plus the kids can be out with him while he mows. We are talking about getting a lawn service to fertalize it though, we have so many weeds.

Have you tested your soil? Rather than fertilize you might want to see how your soil is balanced and see if things can be added to it to specifically help your lawn grow better.

Beth

Zansu
08-29-2009, 02:59 PM
We put in synthetic turf. Much better than anything that grows in the desert and no upkeep whatsoever!

katydid1971
08-29-2009, 03:32 PM
Have you tested your soil? Rather than fertilize you might want to see how your soil is balanced and see if things can be added to it to specifically help your lawn grow better.

Beth
Beth,
How would we get it tested? What kind of company does that and how much does it cost? What do they put on the lawn and why is that different than fertilizer? I have never heard of that before.
BTW, DD's name is Beth ;)
OP sorry for the highjack.

SnuggleBuggles
08-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Beth,
How would we get it tested? What kind of company does that and how much does it cost? What do they put on the lawn and why is that different than fertilizer? I have never heard of that before.
BTW, DD's name is Beth ;)
OP sorry for the highjack.

We just bought some little kit from Lowe's. Dh did it so I don't know the specifics but mostly it tested the soil's pH. We took some of our soil and mixed it with water (I think), shook it in the little tester and waited the prescribed amount of time to read the results. It'll tell you thinks like the soil is low on nitrogen and you can then buy something rich in nitrogen from the garden store to add in. That way you can really balance out your lawn and create the ideal soil for what you want to grow.

Your dd has a good name, btw. :)

Beth

baymom
08-29-2009, 04:06 PM
The gardener mows ours--I'm just not willing to do it and dh honestly doesn't have time. We are waiting for ds to be old/strong enough to do it. ;)

ThreeofUs
08-29-2009, 04:11 PM
I love to mow the lawn, and always took care of it. But when I got pg with DS1 and was out there mowing and sweating, DH flipped out and said I was not mowing the lawn again, *he* was. That lasted about a month, as we found out DH is allergic to cut grass, lol.

So now we have a service, from a guy I really like, who really likes kids and conversation.

Indianamom2
08-29-2009, 04:22 PM
This year, we broke down and I hired a service as a Father's Day gift for my husband. He works long hours as an attorney and with a new baby this summer, plus DD #1, I wanted him to not have to worry about one more thing that "had" to get done.

Frankly, it was money VERY well spent.

Christina

scoop22
08-29-2009, 07:38 PM
dh does it but i want to do it. i want an hour with no kids.. oh well . maybe next year.

MamaKath
08-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Haha, the best laid plans go awry! The battery on the tractor was dead. I got stuck folding gobs of laundry instead. I was actually looking forward to it today too.

kransden
08-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Random people that knock on my door. I have a lot of Mexicans that landscape in this area. They'll see that my grass is long and stop. Otherwise the husband will do it.

Nooknookmom
08-29-2009, 10:07 PM
I voted "what lawn" b/c So Cal is so friggin' dry and our town has a watering ordinance, it's like the Mojave. Add to that DH has NO idea how to fertilize and water a lawn. It has several green patches that resemble an oasis here and there.

Back when it was green, before business died down, we had a gardener. Now DH mows the Oasis field occasionally.

Corie
08-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Definitely my husband.

I have no plans to ever mow our lawn.

BeccaB.
08-29-2009, 10:11 PM
I mow the front yard and DH mows the back or vice versa.

HIU8
08-29-2009, 11:01 PM
DH used to as a neighbor handed us a brand new mower for free when we moved in. The entire lawn takes 1 hour. DH however is not a fix it work outside kind of guy. He SUCKS at that type of stuff. Plus he works like a dog at his 9-5 job then comes home and works nights and weekends on private client work (he doesn't have to do this, but he really enjoys the work and it does bring in extra $$ for savings).

I have never mowed our lawn. There is no way with 2 little kids who want to be with mommy all the time. Another neighbor has a lawn service and gives us a nice deal on the mowing.

belovedgandp
08-29-2009, 11:11 PM
Before kids, always DH. Since our 5 1/2 year old was about 6 months old, me. I actually don't mind doing it. I was actually excited to get a trimmer as a Mother's Day gift since I couldn't start the one DH had.

I am a SAHM and it is actually very selfish of me. I started doing it during the day because I either wanted to go out with girlfriends or do something as a family and didn't want DH claiming the yardwork was preventing us. Since then I enjoy the exercise and escape. I frequently mow in the evenings after dinner while DH plays with the kids. After a full day of them, I enjoy the peace of the mowing.

C99
08-29-2009, 11:27 PM
My husband usually does, but I will if it's been awhile and I'm out there and bored. It's not a big lawn, we have an old-fashioned rotary push mower and it takes about 20 minutes, tops.

lchang25000
08-29-2009, 11:52 PM
We hire someone to come mow and trim our front and backyard every 2 weeks. DH does all the planting.

baileygirl
08-30-2009, 01:42 AM
I voted "other", dh was mowing but a neighbor kid does it now.

kijip
08-30-2009, 02:22 AM
We have very little lawn to mow. Very little. So little scissors might be more efficient than the reel mower we use.

We cut the grass every so often when we are watering the veggies/flowers and weeding.