PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP! How do I make up baby's bed? (Long & ranty.)

gingerkangkang
08-29-2009, 02:18 PM
I thought I knew what I was going to do for baby's bedding when I registered but now that the showers are over and I'm about to finish up purchasing and actually making up the crib & PnP - I'm panicking! Quite honestly, I don't have the money (or time - I'm two weeks away from my due date) to play around with and test stuff - especially the stuff you have to buy online.

I've got a Jenny Lind convertible crib and the Colgate Classica I foam mattress is on its way. So far I've only got a couple of fitted sheets and top sheets for the crib. I thought I'd get a few more fitted sheets and I'd be good to go.

I've also got a Graco PnP with bassinet that she'll be sleeping in exclusively next to our bed for a while. I've read to stay away from the PnP fitted sheets and I've heard plain ol' pillowcases (size?) work just fine as PnP mattress covers but how does a pillowcase protect anything from ANYTHING? I've also heard that most fitted crib sheets will fit a PnP bassinet mattress just fine. But then, just with the crib mattress - don't I need another protective layer?

HELP!

What do I need to protect these mattresses? Do I even need another product to protect the crib mattress?? I think the Colgate Classica comes with a waterproof cover, doesn't it? If I do need another product - which one(s)?? There are so many different products: the waterproof elastic fitted sheets, the zipper ones, the"ultimate" ones that strap down, the loose pads that just lay on top without being secured, etc etc ETC!

And the PnP - talk about confusion. I have no idea where to start there.

Just how many layers do I need on these things? There are just so many options and it seems sometimes people are using several different kinds of products - like, 5-6 layers including the fitted and top sheets - which frankly, seems excessive and expensive. I can't afford to pack on 5 layers of protection, but I also can't afford to ruin a mattress.

So I'm begging you guys to give it to me straight - what all do I need to make up the beds? Obviously there's not a definitive answer regarding products, but there has to be a popular opinion on the basic structure.

Sorry for sounding so whiny and clueless and... desperate, but I really do need someone to hold my hand through this stuff. This is (obviously - ha) my first baby and I'm extremely overwhelmed.

BeccaB.
08-29-2009, 10:38 PM
For the crib - I bought waterproof mattress pads from target. I read in another thread someone's idea about putting the waterproof pad, then a fitted sheet, then another waterproof pad and another sheet. That way when it gets wet or spit up on, you can just peel off layers until you find a dry layer. That has worked really well and the waterproof pads were not that expensive. I let them air dry and they haven't shrunk or anything.

For the pack n' play. Some of them come with a mattress that is waterproof/water resistant. I didn't know that and didn't look for that feature when buying mine (blahhh!). I asked the ladies here what to buy to keep the mattress safe and dry and someone gave me this link.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2404218

I just bought this and it fits may mattress really well. My DS seems to like it and it makes the mattress look more comfortable.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Why were you advised not to buy PNP sheets? I hadn't heard that one yet.

SnuggleBuggles
08-29-2009, 10:51 PM
I simply used a fitted sheet, the appropriate ones for the item (Pack n Play sheets and crib sheets). My crib mattress was vinyl covered so it was easy to clean. The PnP mattress wipes off easily too b/c it is a waterproof cloth.

I did not use a top sheet as extra bedding is not safe in cribs.

I eventually bought a mattress pad for the crib but it was for comfort and was not waterproof.

Really, when I make up the crib or when we used the PnP bassinet the only thing we used was 1 fitted sheet. I don't know who recommends 5-6 layers...probably bedding manufacturers. :) Well, my SIL did used to say she did a sheet, waterproof pad and another sheet so if there was a mess at night she could just strip off one layer of bedding and get on with things quicker. I never minded doing a full sheet change though; it's not that hard or time consuming especially if you don't use a bumper and a ton of bedding.

Beth

zag95
08-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Dear Gingerkangkang!
Congrats- you are almost a mommy- trust me- in a couple of months, you won't even remember how much you were stressing about this!!! :ROTFLMAO:

For the PNP- I would get a sheet to cover it- I had not heard of the Pillow case idea. We got a soft cushy PNP cover- Eddie Bauer sheet from Target. It was nice and cuddly. If you are concerned about leakage of fluids, you could always put a crib pad or similar under baby when you lay them in there- but my experience was that my DD wasn't moving all over- we really didn't have many issues with leaks.

For the crib (which my daughter slept in once she can home from the hospital) we had the following:

The classica mattress, which was "laminated" and waterproof. A Carter's waterproof mattress pad, a Carter's crib sheet, and an Ultimate crib sheet over the top (which is basically like a crib pad). As I said before, when DD was little, we didn't have many accidents- occasional spit ups, but nothing major. If there was some spitting up- then I would just peel off the UC sheet and she would go back to bed. In some ways, this is similar to the idea of "layering" that you mentioned..... DD is now 19 mos, and I've never had to change her bed in the middle of the night, as some experience. But we still have a way to go!

Congrats and GL!

newg
08-30-2009, 09:35 PM
we have a graco pnp...the mattress is kinda waterproof...so just get a pnp sheet; something with a little padding or quilted..I'm sure target has something or BRU......Dd slept in that for almost four months and though I changed a pnp sheet from time to time I never did anything beyond that......if she did leak though the sheet I would just quickly wipe the pnp mattress with a baby wipe and then put another sheet on...

As for the crib, we did a waterproff mattress pad (similar to what we have on our bed under the sheets)...carters I believe...then a sheet....then a mattress protector (from target)...it has four ties to attach it to the crib rails......and that was it in the crib........DD never got through that.........once she started rolling around and moving we removed the mattress protector due to the rist of her getting stuck under it.....

some of it is just trial and error to find what works best for you!!! Good luck and congrats!!

AshleyAnn
08-30-2009, 10:59 PM
On my mattress I have it a fitter crib sheet on the mattress then a crib sheet protector then a second fitted crib sheet over it. We she messes the bed in the middle of the night I don't have to worry about redressing the bed. I just pull off the top most sheet and mattress protector. Under that is the second sheet and the mattress itself (which is waterproof) and I can just just lay her back in bed. IMO this works way easier than the crib sheet protectors and super sheets that all have ties and snaps to hold them on - way too much hassle in the middle of the night and they don't work once the baby starts to roll.

I don't have a PNP so I'm not sure how to dress that. I have a bassinet but its part of the recall so I'm planning to upgrade to a PNP. With the bassinet I just layed a recieving blanket under her because they don't make sheets that fit it well.