PDA

View Full Version : No H1N1 shot = limiting children's activities? Yes or No?

firsttimemama
08-29-2009, 08:09 PM
If you are not planning to get H1N1 shot, will you limit your children's activities (lessons, preschool, school, other) - keep them home more.. BECAUSE they aren't getting the shot?

I was going to sign up my son for some classes for the fall/winter.. and then someone brought up this concern.. and I hadn't even thought about it..

I think I am leaning towards signing him up anyway.. I don't think I want to be a shut-in for the entire flu season and I'm not sure I could be, anyway.

What about you?

Laurel
08-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Like you I am torn. DD is in K and will still be going to school obviously. I may keep DS out of gymnastics classes, birthday parties, etc., for a month or two depending on how flu season plays out. I am about 80% sure we will not be doing the H1N1 vax, but DD & DH usually get the regular flu vax. DS and I don't because of allergy issues.

AngelaS
08-29-2009, 08:19 PM
We homeschool and aren't in a ton of activities anyway. I don't plan to change our routine.

mom_hanna
08-29-2009, 08:51 PM
No, I don't plan to change anything. H1N1 is already hitting universities in my state and there have been no cases that have been any more severe than the yearly flu. I don't know if we are going to vaccinate or not, but unless there is an outbreak of really severe cases (ie. the strain has mutated to a much more serious/resistant virus), we don't plan on changing our regular activities.

JBaxter
08-29-2009, 08:57 PM
nope. We plan to attend all Logans football games , play groups and I may sign Jack up for mom&me swim class.
No we will not be getting the standard or the H1N1 vaccines.

Now I am keeping Nathan home the day the give the "free" flu mist to everyone who wants it in K-5. IF they were giving the shots I would send him.

SnuggleBuggles
08-29-2009, 09:03 PM
No. I can't shield him from every germ scenario. It'd pretty much mean being shut ins if we wanted to avoid germy places. No trips to the library, no grocery trips, no museums...

Beth

icunurse
08-29-2009, 09:40 PM
I tend to limit things a bit in the winter anyway, just because of the weather and, yes, the flu. DS will be in full-day K and, over winter, one sport night/week. I think that's enough activity for a kid in K. DD goes to an MDO program which I *know* will be a hotspot for every disease out there (I blame parents for sending sick kids more than I do the people who run the MDO). I also want to get her into some kid of other activity once/week. Other than that, I do try and limit our mall exposure (crowded and icky), fast food places, etc because those are the places that people take their sick kids when they get cabin fever and I always seem to be the one that gets sick! We will be extra-vigilant about handwashing, too.

Melbel
08-29-2009, 09:49 PM
We are currently leaning toward not receiving the H1N1 vax, but could be swayed depending on how severe the strain is, trial results and the extent of outbreaks locally. We already have heard reports of severe cases locally so I am concerned especially considering that DS and DD1 have asthma. For DS and DD1 we are not making any changes in extracurriculars (dance, swimming, soccer) because they are with the same kids that they attend school with anyway. For DD2 (14 months), I am being more cautious. I have yet to take her to a gym child care or use our Gymboree gift certificate. With all of our struggles her first year with her reflux/immature GI tract, I really want to do what I can to keep her healthy. She is still at an age where she wants to put EVERYTHING in her mouth. Of course DS and DD1 are bound to bring home illnesses and already have since school started.

Raidra
08-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Well, it's not specifically related to H1N1, but ever since Lachlann came down with a bad case of pneumonia New Year's Eve when he was 16 months old, we do limit our winter activities. From experience, I know that the storytime at Borders that we like to go to *always* makes my kids sick starting in November. The library doesn't. We do things outside as much as possible.

We homeschool and my kids aren't into classes, so that helps for us. Our homeschool group has a lot of activities in the winter, and all the moms are excellent about keeping their kids home if there's a chance they might be contagious. So, we get out on field trips and visit other people's houses, as well as have people over our house.

Since we have such a great group, we never experience any major cabin-fever, yet we usually only get 2-3 colds a winter (compared to the almost endless colds we used to get).

mytwosons
08-29-2009, 10:13 PM
We won't be getting the vaccine and I definitely won't be limiting activities. We will be increasing Vit D and washing our hands.

HIU8
08-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Not limiting DS or DD activities. Getting the H1N1 though as DS is in OT 2x a week and I have no idea how well they "clean" the equipment etc...

bubbaray
08-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Not limiting activities -- DD#1 starts K in 1.5 weeks and is in before/after school care. DD#2 is in FT daycare. So, really, limiting other activities is pointless as they will both have lots of exposure just in their regular daily activities.

DD#2 will not be getting the vax unless there is a non-adjuvant version offered here -- and I believe what the gov't says. As it stands, the Canadian gov't is following the WHO request and using "vaccine sparing" production methods. I'm curious as to how the US is getting around that, given that all of the vaccine manufacturers have said that they HAVE to use adjuvants because the yields are so low. Something is not adding up there. So, even if I lived in the US, I wouldn't actually believe that the US version didn't contain adjuvants. Adjuvants are my huge huge issue with this vax (though I have other issues too) because DD#2 is anaphylactic to fish and squalene is (mainly) from sharks livers.

DD#1 and I are both high risk (asthma) and I am very torn. We will likely NOT get the vax because I believe that all three of us had H1N1 earlier this summer (fever, aches, runny nose, sore throat, cough, generally feeling crappy for a few days -- ILI as the WHO is calling it).

Jo..
08-29-2009, 11:42 PM
Nope, not planning on the vaccine. Sending DS to preschool 3 days per week, and possibly sending DD (age 1+) to preschool one day weekly. I am not concerned. I trust in the medical care we have available to us here (in the US).

We don't vax so far, and plan on selective shots in the future. My kids are probably the healthiest kids I know (probiotics, limited exposure, and natural immunity to what we do come in contact with).

Advocate For Truth
08-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Folks
I make my living preparing for disasters, pandemics, epidemics, etc. If I had a choice, I would rather get the H1N1 flu than the seasonal flu.

The H1N1 flu has killed almost 200 people WORLDWIDE. The seasonal flu kills 300,000 PEOPLE A YEAR IN THE US.

The dangers associated with the H1N1 and seasonal flu vaccines far outweigh the benefits. Take this from a mommy and a professional that deals with these things everyday.

These flu shots are bad news. They contain mercury and squaline. Google both of these if you want more information on both of these additives.

I am also the mommy to two beautiful boys. One who is typical in every way and one who was typical in every way until he was 13 months old. Now he is severely autistic, suffers from severe gastroentistinal issues, and is non-verbal.

Watch the special tonight on MSNBC on Thoughtful House. We take our son there.

JBaxter
08-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Folks
I make my living preparing for disasters, pandemics, epidemics, etc. If I had a choice, I would rather get the H1N1 flu than the seasonal flu.

The H1N1 flu has killed almost 200 people WORLDWIDE. The seasonal flu kills 300,000 PEOPLE A YEAR IN THE US.

The dangers associated with the H1N1 and seasonal flu vaccines far outweigh the benefits. Take this from a mommy and a professional that deals with these things everyday.

These flu shots are bad news. They contain mercury and squaline. Google both of these if you want more information on both of these additives.

I am also the mommy to two beautiful boys. One who is typical in every way and one who was typical in every way until he was 13 months old. Now he is severely autistic, suffers from severe gastroentistinal issues, and is non-verbal.

Im pretty much a no flu shot kinda momma ( so are the 3 nurses in my family) but your numbers are off on flu deaths. I believe its more like 36,000/yr ( and most of those have underlying health issues anyway)

hellokitty
08-30-2009, 04:59 PM
We won't be getting the vaccine and I definitely won't be limiting activities. We will be increasing Vit D and washing our hands.

That's basically what we plan to do too.

Naranjadia
08-30-2009, 05:18 PM

FYI: There is a mercury-free version that will be allocated to pregnant women and children.

1964pandora
08-30-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm pretty sure that my kids already had the swine flu this summer and it really wasn't a big deal at all for them. We didn't confirm that it was the swine flu, but it was supposedly the only flu in major circulation in the summer and it was definitely the FLU, not a cold. The worst of it lasted 36 hours. If they hadn't had it, I would not curtail their activities because I would want them to get it. I know that I am in the minority with this, but I want my kids to have what their grandparents have-- immunity to the swine flu! Why would I want to deprive my kids of the probable immunity that their grandparents have?

wellyes
08-30-2009, 06:14 PM

JBaxter is right, you are way off. Waaaaay off. More than 250,000 flu deaths off.

I don't get flu vaccines either but I think it's very important for us to focus on the potential dangers of a pandemic & work towards encouraging preventative measures than anything else.

As far as the OP's question, I honestly don't know. Will I not take DD to shopping centers or grocery stores? No, that's just not realistic for our life. But I'll definitely be more cautious in terms of keeping an eye for resperatory symptoms if DD gets a flu. And be more likely to keep her home (I know I always *should* but usually I'm not as vigilant as I should be since I know that kids are most contagious BEFORE they show symptoms). And of course LOTS of hand washing.

firsttimemama
08-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Hi I am the OP

Just to clarify, I personally am specifically debating signing up DS (21 mo) for extracurricular type non-essential classes - think little gym, gymboree, kindermusik, etc - would you NOT enroll for fall/winter based on H1N1.. if not vaxing for it..

that's where I was going with this.

brittone2
08-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Folks

Agreeing w/ the PPs that your numbers are totally off. The seasonal flu number thrown around regularly is 36,000 deaths per seasonal flu season. Even that has been debated quite a bit in medical journals and public health circles etc. as there are some interesting twists in how they arrive at that number.

bubbaray
08-30-2009, 09:23 PM
I believe that seasonal influenza kills between 250,000 to 500,000 people per year GLOBALLY.

Interesting, that poster has only 2 posts and both of them are warning about vax's being the root of all evil. I'm just sayin'....