PDA

View Full Version : Baby Boy Name Poll - Please Help!

becca_g
08-29-2009, 10:47 PM
DH and I have struggled for months over naming our DS due in November. It's not so much that we disagree, it's more that neither of us has come up with a name we absolutely love. Here are our top 3 names at this point:

Grayson Michael Gxxxxx
Jonah Grayson Gxxxxx
Jonah Alistair Gxxxxx (initials JAG)

Which do you like best?

Thanks!!!

SnuggleBuggles
08-29-2009, 10:52 PM
The Grayson I know is a girl. I don't know if that is something that would bug you or not.

Beth

amandabea
08-29-2009, 11:09 PM
I like Grayson Michael Gxxx, unless your last name is Green bc then it would be Gray Green at some point in his life and that just doesn't sound right. Jonah is a beautiful name too though.

becca_g
08-29-2009, 11:11 PM
Gray Green ... that's funny! Thankfully, our last name is not Green in this case :)

LarsMal
08-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Grayson is nice.

When I see Jonah I think of 2 things- the Jonas Brothers and Jonah Hill (guy from the Judd Apatow movies). Not that either of those are horrible things---just sayin' ;)

Snow mom
08-29-2009, 11:30 PM
I like the first two options. I am not as fond of the third. I guess I'll have to decide which I like best and cast a vote. I'm leaning toward Grayson Michael. I've always liked the name Gray.

becca_g
08-29-2009, 11:33 PM
The Grayson I know is a girl. I don't know if that is something that would bug you or not.

Beth

That is something we've wondered about. When I first thought of Grayson, it seemed like it was definitely a boy's name, especially since it ends in "son."

Then I started hearing girls were being named Gracen (pronounced the same way), but at least it was spelled differently. And more recently I've been hearing of girls being named Grayson/Greyson.

Not sure what to think. I'm O.K. with a somewhat unisex name (although I would prefer something clearly masculine). I would just hate for Grayson to become so much of a girl's name in future that our son would get made fun of or be constantly assumed to be a girl.

Maybe I'll post another poll at some point asking people's perception of Grayson as a boy's name vs. a girl's name vs. a unisex name ...

Thanks!

Nooknookmom
08-29-2009, 11:36 PM
I voted Grayson Michael, it flows nicely.

Someone we know just named their son Grayson. I don't care for Jonah myself...

lchang25000
08-29-2009, 11:46 PM
I vote for Jonah! (It's my son's name) :D

I've never heard of Grayson as a girl's name. Sounds very masculine to me.

becca_g
08-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Grayson is nice.

When I see Jonah I think of 2 things- the Jonas Brothers and Jonah Hill (guy from the Judd Apatow movies). Not that either of those are horrible things---just sayin' ;)

A couple of family members have mentioned the Jonas Brothers as well, which does weigh in when we are trying to decide on a name. If they were the Jonah Brothers instead, then I would definitely not name our son Jonah. Will have to think about it some more.

I had forgotten about Jonah Hill.

We do like the fact that Jonah is a biblical name. However, we have wondered if kids might call him The Whale. I guess no name is perfect.

At some point we'll just have to pick one and go with it. Maybe we'll draw a name out of a hat if we get desperate :)

Thanks for the feedback!

becca_g
08-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the votes/feedback so far!

DH just asked me for an update on the poll. Whichever name wins, we are going to try that name out for a week and see how it goes.

Anyone else interested in casting a vote and/or providing comments before we try our name experiment this week?

Thanks!

Indianamom2
08-31-2009, 04:09 PM
As someone who had the same problem, I have very little advice!

We still did not have a name picked out when we got to the hospital, mostly because nothing felt right. Honestly, what we chose still doesn't feel right, but we're not changing it now, because we still don't have a better option!

Good luck. I chose Jonah Grayson just because it's different, but not weird. I like Biblical/old-fashioned names anyhow.

Christina

Piglet
08-31-2009, 04:21 PM
I am not a fan of same initial first and last names, but otherwise like Grayson Michael. I also don't love the name Alistair. So Jonah Grayson is probably my favourite of the 3. Keep in mind too that Jonah Hill will not be popular forever and definitely neither will the Jonas Brothers. Don't let that stop you. just thin kabout all theother boy bands of years gone by - can you even name them Do you associate every single Joey or Jordan with New Kids or every Justin with N Sync? Jonah is a pretty timeless name!