PDA

View Full Version : Follow-Up Baby Boy Name Poll (Grayson)

becca_g
08-30-2009, 12:01 AM
This is a follow-up to the poll I posted earlier regarding our DS due in November and trying to decide on a name.

Our concern at this point is that we've heard of several girls being named Grayson as well.

Do you consider the name GRAYSON (spelled that way not Gracen/Greyson/etc.):
-Mostly a boy's name?
-Mostly a girl's name?
-Truly a unisex name?

Thanks!

lchang25000
08-30-2009, 12:04 AM
I already posted this in your previous thread, but I've never heard of Grayson as a girl's name. Sounds pretty masculine to me.

Octobermommy
08-30-2009, 12:43 AM
Most names with "son" at the end are traditionally a boys name. I think of grayson as a boys name. I wouldn't think of it at all for a girl.

kijip
08-30-2009, 12:43 AM
All boy to me.

Never met a girl Grayson. Never heard of a girl Grayson. Only know 1 boy named Grayson.

FWIW, I like Grayson a lot as a boy's name.

I am a fan of unisex names but can I just say, as a mom of boys, will girl moms please stop hijacking all the boys names? You already have the cuter clothes and a broader range of what is acceptable in terms of colors and extracurricular activities. Do ya have to take the names too:tongue5:? (Just kidding of course)

wellyes
08-30-2009, 08:24 AM
Very very boy.

The name Grayson makes me think of Tarzan, whose real birth name is Lord Greystoke.

westgre
08-30-2009, 08:26 AM
One of my friend's named her DD Grayson. I consider it a unisex name.

SnuggleBuggles
08-30-2009, 08:47 AM
I would have considered it a boy's name till I met the girl with that name. So, I have to go with unisex.

Beth

MamaMolly
08-30-2009, 08:54 AM
One of my friends named her new DS Grayson. To me it is all boy.

JBaxter
08-30-2009, 09:08 AM
I think boy. I'd say she will go through life having to correct her gender. Some names I wonder HUM boy / girl but grayson i definately thing boy

neeleymartin
08-30-2009, 09:15 AM
i know a graycEn, she's a girl. girl or boy works these days. i have a boy, kelly. this is 2009, anything goes, if you ask me.

Snow mom
08-30-2009, 09:21 AM
i know a graycEn, she's a girl. girl or boy works these days. i have a boy, kelly. this is 2009, anything goes, if you ask me.

Well, I think Kelly is a very different situation. Kelly is a traditional male name. Maybe not so much in the US but in parts of the UK people would assume boy when they heard the name Kelly. ETA: Pretty interesting to look at the popularity of the name Kelly for boys and girls on the SSA site.

I don't think girl moms stealing a boy name occasionally makes it a girl or unisex name. I just checked SSA and Grayson has never made it to the top 1000 girl names. It's bounced around in the top 1000 boy names since 1984 and is showing an increase in popularity. It might be picking up steam among girls too but I think it will always be a boy name.

TwinFoxes
08-30-2009, 09:45 AM
All boy to me.

Never met a girl Grayson. Never heard of a girl Grayson.

:yeahthat:

Well, I think Kelly is a very different situation. Kelly is a traditional male name. Maybe not so much in the US but in parts of the UK people would assume boy when they heard the name Kelly. ETA: Pretty interesting to look at the popularity of the name Kelly for boys and girls on the SSA site.

I don't think girl moms stealing a boy name occasionally makes it a girl or unisex name. I just checked SSA and Grayson has never made it to the top 1000 girl names. It's bounced around in the top 1000 boy names since 1984 and is showing an increase in popularity. It might be picking up steam among girls too but I think it will always be a boy name.

:yeahthat: too!

I think Kelly is definitely a unisex name, there may be more girl Kellys, but I wouldn't bat an eye at a male Kelly...kind of like Dana.

Also agree that just because one or two moms name there DDs a traditional boy's name doesn't make it unisex. There was that model James King a few years back, but I still think James is considered masculine ;)

bcafe
08-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Well, my DS has the name Gray. I think of it as a boys name as well.

Gena
08-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Around here I have been seeing more and more "son" (Grayson, Carson, etc. ) names given to girls as well as boys. So I guess I would say unisex.

But personally, I don't consider these types of names to be boys' names or a girls' names. I consider them surnames.

Krisrich
08-30-2009, 10:11 AM
I do have a niece named Grayson. Named after her paternal grandmother's maiden name. That being said, I do think of it mostly as a boy's name.

brittone2
08-30-2009, 10:19 AM
I think of it as a boy's name and I like it.

We have a family friend who goes by Sebastian Gray and they call him Gray.

nrp
08-30-2009, 10:32 AM
I considered Grayson for DD, as it was the name of the town where my mom grew up. DH didn't like it so I don't remember considering it for DS. I agree that it is traditionally a boys name but I think it's cute for a girl too, and I've known a girl Grayson, so I voted unisex. I wouldn't hesitate to name a boy Grayson, though.

JTsMom
08-30-2009, 10:34 AM
It's a very boyish name to me, and I've never met a girl named Grayson. I agree with whoever said "son" in a name usually gives the impression that it's a boy's name.

I really like both it and Jonah. IIRC, Tanya Tucker's son is named Grayson (she, very briefly, had a show on TLC), and we have a really pretty town nearby named Grayson. I also like Jonah a lot. Both very nice choices!

newg
08-30-2009, 11:08 AM
My nephew's name is Grayson..........would never ever think of it as a girl name.

melissaflorida
08-30-2009, 11:15 AM
There are 2 Grayson girls in my daughter's school. I consider it unisex but then again I named my dd Spencer.

~Melissa

arivecchi
08-30-2009, 11:31 AM
I think it is a very masculine name - a gorgeous name too!

g-mama
08-30-2009, 12:11 PM
There was a girl Grayson in ds' music class. She actually went by the nickname "Gray." Not sure I'm a fan, but she was an adorable, sweet little girl, which makes it easier to think it's cute. :)

HannaAddict
08-30-2009, 02:20 PM
I know several boys named Grayson, all about two years to four years of age. Never heard of a girl Grayson, ever. It is becoming popular, is on my SIL's short list, and is a nice name. I wouldn't worry about it being thought of as a girl name at all. What part of the country are you in where girls are being called Grayson? The South? I know it was popular to use mom's maiden name as for a girl's first name in the South, so thought maybe it was that kind of situation (a last name as first). In the NW, it is a boy name through and through.

Wife_and_mommy
08-30-2009, 02:40 PM
We know a male 3yo named Grayson. It isn't a female name to me.

Ceepa
08-30-2009, 02:43 PM
I think of it as a male name. But either way I think of it as a too-trendy name.

jent
08-30-2009, 02:49 PM
The only Grayson/Greyson/Gracen I know is a female-- and actually a grown-up: she's a teacher at DD's school. (Her mom was REALLY ahead of the naming trends, I guess ;)). So I chose "unisex" but I do think of it as a more masculine name.

And I read your OP too quickly; I think the Grayson spelling is the most masculine of all (while Gracen looks feminine) so I suppose I should really have chosen that.

SnuggleBuggles
08-30-2009, 02:52 PM
It doesn't really matter what the spelling is as much, imo, because people won't know how it is spelled when they hear it.
Beth

katydid1971
08-30-2009, 02:59 PM
I think its a boy's name but I think Riley and Charlie are boy's names but they are really catching on with little girls. You have to decide if you want a name that might be considered unisex or not. FWIW I like Greyson better than Jonah.

kijip
08-30-2009, 03:26 PM
A note on the feminine form of this name...

Gracen/Gracyn/Graycson etc seem to me to be expansions on the classic name Grace.

Grayson seems to be to be Gray-son.

I think that Gray/Grayson are very masculine names.

kijip
08-30-2009, 03:30 PM
I think its a boy's name but I think Riley and Charlie are boy's names but they are really catching on with little girls.

I have seen Charlie as a nick name for Charlene and I have heard of girl Rileys.

It just seems that most names that start being used by girls widely become unisex and then most unisex names often rapidly become more feminine that masculine. To the point that people wonder why someone named their boy Dana or Leslie or Kerry or Terry.

Corie
08-30-2009, 05:05 PM
I've heard this name go both ways. I would consider it a unisex name.

It's funny because alot of people have posted that it sounds "all boy".

But to me, it sounds more girl. I actually hear the name "Grace" in
Grayson so that's probably why.

hellokitty
08-30-2009, 05:10 PM
as a mom of boys, will girl moms please stop hijacking all the boys names? You already have the cuter clothes and a broader range of what is acceptable in terms of colors and extracurricular activities. Do ya have to take the names too:tongue5:? (Just kidding of course)

OMG, you read my mind. I read the OP's post and was like, "WHAT??? Another boy name going to the girls again????" I'm so sick of it. Picking out boy names is hard enough (and it's unfair to boy moms to begin with, considering that girls pretty much have a better selection of everything and anything goes) and with so many boys names being adopted as girl names now, it makes the process of picking out a boy name even more difficult.

When my OB asked what DS3's name was when he was born (and FTR, I had a sh*tty birth exp this time around, my worst yet, I don't do pain meds, I had back labor for the first time AND my baby was HUGE compared to my other two, plus I had prodromal labor for wks before birth, so I was NOT a happy person from the birth process) and I told him the name, he was like, "That's one of those names that could be a girl's name too." I was really to shout, "Ummmm NOOO, it's NOT a name that could be a girl's name too!" However, I didn't want to yell at him when he hadn't sewn up my episiotomy yet, so I had to just roll my eyes and let it go.