PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an insulated container, suggestions?

hbridge
08-30-2009, 10:33 AM
We're looking for an insulated container for our DC's to take soup in their lunch boxes. I'm leaning toward Lands End, but am wondering if anyone has one they love. I need it to be small enough for a standard lunch box, keep things warm until lunch time, and NOT LEAK.

Thanks so much.

new_mommy25
08-30-2009, 01:11 PM
We're looking for an insulated container for our DC's to take soup in their lunch boxes. I'm leaning toward Lands End, but am wondering if anyone has one they love. I need it to be small enough for a standard lunch box, keep things warm until lunch time, and NOT LEAK.

Thanks so much.

I haven't tried the Lands End but I have used the Thermos ones and they helped keep the food nice and warm. I used the Funtainers because my kids like the designs but they also make one called Foogo that is plain.

nupe
08-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Funtainer. Haven't sent soup. Have sent pastas with sauce. No leaks so far (1 week).

caleymama
08-30-2009, 10:10 PM
We bought Funtainers for this year for DDs. I bought a set of the Lands End containers last year and one of them did not work at all. Didn't leak, but also didn't insulate at all! DH used them in his lunches and only one of the two containers in the set kept things hot.

randomkid
08-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Agreeing with Funtainer or Foogo. A suggestion that I got here on the BBB was to put hot water in the container and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Then, dump water, dry out and put in soup/food. This will help the food stay warm longer. Works really well.

KpbS
08-30-2009, 11:20 PM
The Funtainers were already 30% the other day at my Target.

newbiemom
08-30-2009, 11:24 PM
I bought Lands End ones and I wish I hadn't. They did NOT keep the food warm at all (I might as well have put them in regular containers) and for some reason they seemed to rust or something on the inside. I was highly disappointed with them. I had another from LL Bean for that was WONDERFUL.
I just bought some funtainers for the kids and hope they work better.

MontrealMum
08-31-2009, 12:08 AM
I have used both Thermos (adult style, stainless) and Foogo (yes, it was DS') w/ no problems.

kali
08-31-2009, 01:11 AM
I bought Lands End ones and I wish I hadn't.

:yeahthat: On ours, the lids separated into two pieces within several uses. I was really surprised at how junky they were.

I don't have much other experience with insulated containers for hot foods. I've used a Thermos Nissan bottle and a Thermos Nissan mug for hot drinks/food and been blown away by the heat retention and quality. Those can keep stuff really hot for hours. I put them through the dishwasher and they've held up great for years.

At a lower price point, I've really liked DS' Foogo straw cups for cold drinks, but can't speak to their performance with hot. Those also do fine in the dishwasher, BTW.

jamesmom
08-31-2009, 05:52 AM
We use Thermos Funtainers for the kids' hot lunches (usually soup or pasta) and they have never leaked, plus they keep the food warm for 3 to 4 hours. They seem to be on sale at a bunch of places right now. I just saw them on sale for $13.xx at Wegmans.